Show 172 Texas SBOE Destroys Education

Please feel free to discuss Dan's shows.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Show 172 Texas SBOE Destroys Education

Postby boethius » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:33 pm

RAnthony wrote:
ryanm wrote:The first thing that has to go is state-by-state curriculum. Sorry, but math, history, science, etc., aren't subjective.
Teachers should really set the coursework for their classes, and they should probably base that on guidelines from the people active in the fields they are teaching. I really don't think that governments should be involved in school any more than to make sure that basic goals in education are met. Critical thinking. Reading. Writing. Math. Science.

...and I put critical thinking first, because there's a dearth of it in American society. If we simply teach people to think critically, a whole host of other problems will solve themselves, because the people involved will understand how to fix them.

Maybe if government didn't have a monopoly on education, we wouldn't have governments setting curricula...

The first adults educated under the federal Department of Education created by Jimmy Carter didn't enter the workforce until the 90s (the Department of Education being founded in 1979). Somehow, we managed to land on the Moon and invent a thousand other useful discoveries in the arts and sciences without a federal cabinet-level Department of Education.
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby DBTrek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:57 pm

boethius wrote:Maybe if government didn't have a monopoly on education, we wouldn't have governments setting curricula...

Maybe iff'n frogs had wings, dey wouldn't bump dey ass a'hoppin!

Thank you Tesla, for your revolutionary insights.
DBTrek
Archon

Postby RAnthony » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 pm

DBTrek wrote:
boethius wrote:Maybe if government didn't have a monopoly on education, we wouldn't have governments setting curricula...

Maybe iff'n frogs had wings, dey wouldn't bump dey ass a'hoppin!

Thank you Tesla, for your revolutionary insights.
:lol:
"I unsettle all things. No facts are to me sacred; none are profane; I simply experiment, an endless seeker with no past at my back." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"So who the fuck are you RAnthony? Are you anything like the people you don't respond to say you are?"
RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby RAnthony » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Several stories on SBOE last week;
http://tfninsider.org/2012/04/02/tx-sbo ... ews-on-fb/
At least one candidate for the Texas State Board of Education seems to think that his anti-gay views are relevant to his election campaign and managing public schools. A TFN Insider reader alerted us to the following Facebook post by David Williams, a candidate for the District 3 seat on state board. His post is on the Family Research Council’s Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/familyresearchcouncil/posts/10150773887052442

http://tfninsider.org/2012/04/02/did-da ... k-the-law/
Republican SBOE member David Bradley’s campaign website touted David Barton, head of a political advocacy group called WallBuilders, as a featured speaker at two Bradley fundraisers on Saturday (March 31) in Beaumont and Houston. Among the state board’ s responsibilities is adopting instructional materials for public schools. WallBuilders publishes instructional materials. But according to the Education Code, “a person engaged in manufacturing, shipping, selling or advertising instructional materials commits an offense if the person makes or authorizes a political contribution to or takes part in, directly or indirectly, the campaign of any person seeking election to or serving on the board.” Violation of the statute is a Class B misdemeanor.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/texas-poli ... ing-noise/
All 15 State Board of Education seats are up for election this year, and the contest making the most noise so far appears to involve incumbent David Bradley, R-Beaumont, and GOP primary challenger Rita Ashley in the District 7 race.

Ashley also lives in Beaumont, although Bradley and his supporters dispute that. Bradley, meanwhile, faces questions about the appearance of a prominent political leader in his campaign.

The Texas Freedom Network has asked district attorneys in Harris and Jefferson counties to investigate whether Bradley ran afoul of a state code barring campaign assistance from anyone interested in the textbook business. More on that in a moment.

Bradley is the leader of the board’s six socially conservative members. Ashley appears to have the support of more moderate Republicans. There are no Democrats running in the Beaumont-based district, leaving the GOP primary winner with only a Libertarian challenger on the November general election.

Ashley has considerable Capitol experience, having worked for Sen. Tommy Williams, R-The Woodlands, and, more recently, as clerk for the House Public Education Committee and its chairman, Rep. Rob Eissler, R-The Woodlands.

Ashley spends about 5 months in Austin during legislative sessions every other year. That has caused her a problem back home.

Here's a dozy;
http://tfninsider.org/2012/04/09/gov-pe ... ed-to-her/
It’s bad enough that Texas Gov. Rick Perry has appointed three anti-science creationists in a row to chair the State Board of Education. This weekend we read something that shines an even brighter light on the governor’s carelessness and even indifference when it comes to a deeply dysfunctional and hyper-politicized board that guides what millions of Texas kids learn in their public schools.

The Waco Tribune-Herald has published an interview with Gail Lowe, a Lampasas Republican who is seeking re-election to her District 14 state board seat. (The newspaper also interviewed Lowe’s opponent, Sue Melton of Waco, in the Republican primary for that seat. Subscription required for accessing either interview.) We were astonished to read that Lowe says she had no conversation with Gov. Perry when he appointed her to chair the board in 2009:

“I never spoke with the governor. I’m sorry, but that was not a personal relationship.

Wow. Seriously?

That’s a jaw-dropping revelation considering that Lowe’s appointment came at an especially sensitive moment for the board. The Texas Senate had failed to confirm the appointment of Don McLeroy, R-College Station, to a second term as chair of the state board. Senate rejections of a governor’s nomination are pretty uncommon, but McLeroy had led the board’s creationist faction in a divisive, all-out assault on evolution during the revision of science curriculum standards in 2008 and 2009. Declaring that “somebody’s gotta stand up to experts,” McLeroy — appointed as chairman by Gov. Perry in 2007 — had pushed through revisions to the standards that he and other creationists hoped would force publishers to include anti-evolution propaganda in new science textbooks.

McLeroy’s anti-science crusade, the board’s stunning rejection of the pleadings from teachers and scientists, and vicious attacks on the faith of board members and others who support teaching students established science brought an avalanche of embarrassing attention from state and national news media. (At one point McLeroy endorsed a new book that called scientists “atheists,” parents “monsters” and clergy members “morons” if they support teaching about evolution. One Republican board member felt compelled to defend herself and two other GOP board colleagues from a smear campaign launched by “ultra-religious extremists” during the science debate.)

But how did Gov. Perry respond to the blazing controversy that was engulfing the state board and creating the impression that Texas is hostile to sound science education? He nominated Lowe, another creationist, as chair — and he couldn’t be bothered to make even a simple phone call to his nominee.

So, apparently, there was no insistence by the governor that his new chair lead the board away from the “culture war” battles in which her predecessor had reveled. There was no request that Lowe and other board members take into more careful consideration the recommendations of teachers, scholars and other experts when approving curriculum standards and textbooks. There wasn’t even a simple plea for Lowe to keep the board from embarrassing Texas any further.

Well, we know how things turned out. Lowe proceeded to lead the board into an even more outrageous revision of the social studies curriculum standards. With Lowe’s support, the board’s creationist faction rammed through approval of new standards that the conservative Thomas B. Fordham Institute has sharply criticized as a “political distortion of history” with “misrepresentations at every turn.” Embarrassed for the state yet again, the Texas Senate refused even to vote on Lowe’s nomination for a second term as board chair in 2011.

The governor appointed a third creationist, Barbara Cargill, as chair shortly afterward. He did talk to Cargill — but one has to wonder what he told her because Cargill almost immediately angered a majority of state board members by claiming that she was one of only “six true conservative Christians on the board.” The state board is scheduled to adopt new science textbooks in 2013 and social studies textbooks the following year.

How has Texas gained a reputation across the country for putting the culture wars ahead of giving schoolchildren an education that prepares them for college and the jobs of the future? Maybe it’s because we have a governor who apparently couldn’t care less.
(emphasis added) ...What we need most in Texas is a new Governor. Clearly.
"I unsettle all things. No facts are to me sacred; none are profane; I simply experiment, an endless seeker with no past at my back." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"So who the fuck are you RAnthony? Are you anything like the people you don't respond to say you are?"
RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby RAnthony » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:43 pm

...and this pretty well sums up the problem;
http://tfninsider.org/2012/04/10/opposi ... education/
Lowe, who is part of the state board’s creationist bloc that worked to dumb down instruction on evolution in new science curriculum standards adopted in 2009, told the Trib’s editorial board that she’s not anti-science:

Q: The most common perception is you’re a dedicated creationist who wants to get more of that belief in public school textbooks and weaken the teaching of evolution in the classroom.

A: I am a person of deep, religious faith. I believe the Bible teaches that we have a creator. But I don’t believe ever at the State Board of Education level any of us ever advocated for the teaching of creation in our materials. I would like a more objective view of what we teach as creation. The complexity of the cell and the world around us is evidence there is an order, that it is not natural processes that got us here, that there is a purpose beyond just random mutations and chance happenstance that got people here.

The science teachers who have testified before us are not the people I want teaching religious concepts. I want them teaching science concepts. But we don’t want to market things like global warming and naturalistic evolution where we sugarcoat it to get you to buy into it when in fact it’s not measurable, not observable, not replicable in a laboratory. That’s not really science.

We’ve gotten into marketing and indoctrination when we attempt those historical evolution discussions that we can’t back with fact. I want the theory of biological evolution taught but I want it taught with a little more circumspection. Students need to know this is not proven, that it is not fact, that there’s no way to recreate the situation that may have existed or to replicate what may have happened to initially start life. I just think we need to do more critical thinking about biological evolution.
...so they weren't trying to get creationism taught in the classroom, they wanted to teach that we are all created by god in the classroom. Further, she doesn't understand what evolution is or says, nor is she up on current events which have in fact documented how natural processes could have started life on this planet, which isn't evolution anyway.

Her opposition in the race also avows to strong christian beliefs, which beautifully highlights the problem with an elected board dictating textbook and curriculum content for Texas schools. You will not get elected in the state of Texas without ascribing to Christianity if not all-out fundamentalism; and religion has no place, no place at all, in the classroom. A catastrophically broken system if I've ever seen one.

TFN supported documentary on the subject; http://vimeo.com/nakededgefilms/the-rev ... es-trailer

RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby RAnthony » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Hadn't heard of this legislation before;
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-pol ... 15451.html
The State Board of Education, long the gatekeeper to the enormous textbook market in Texas, has lost control over which materials enter public school classrooms.

Lawmakers last year passed legislation that untethered the $792 million available for school districts to buy instructional materials from the board's approval of those materials.

Textbook publishers "don't have to go to the State Board to get their license to sell any longer," said lobbyist David Anderson, who represents a major textbook company. "The money is controlled by the schools."

The policy objective of Senate Bill 6 was to give school districts more flexibility to spend limited dollars on an evolving list of tools, such as e-readers, that can be used to disseminate the required lessons.

But the political effect was to strip the board of its veto power.
Hopefully we've turned the corner on education in Texas, and can start heading towards improved education outcomes. We can hope, anyway.

RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby RAnthony » Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 am

Don Mcleroy on Colbert;

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... on-mcleroy

The Idiocy of the SBOE on full display; I don't want to mince words here, so I'll be blunt. If you are a young earth creationist, you are an idiot; and you should not be selecting textbooks for the general population since we don't wish to raise another generation of idiots.

...and as I told Clubber just two days ago, conservatives think Colbert is serious, case closed. Mcleroy definitely did.

RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby Chris73 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Related article.

http://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/re ... 6GU6-tWq_h

Also, Clay Jenkinson did a good TJH podcast awhile back, no. 814 called 'Schoolbooks'. Should still be able to get it from iTunes.

It's sad really. The SBOE should be aiming form impartiality. Yet these kooks that hold majority on the board are unabashedly are trying to push things toward evangelical Christianity, regardless of scholarly opinion. The damage that the Conservative viewpoint has done trying to get it's increasingly myopic way is just depressing.

I really look forward to a sensible Conservatism that isn't coated with evangelical nonsense.

Where's Disraeli when you need him?
'Ares urged on the Trojans,
while bright-eyed Athena kept rousing the Achaeans.
With them came Terror, Fear, and tireless Strife,
sister and companion of man-destroying Ares—
at first small in stature, she later grows enormous,
head reaching heaven, as she strides across the earth.
Strife went through crowds of soldiers, casting hatred
on both sides equally, multiplying human miseries.' - Homer, Iliad 4.440

'Don't get all :facepalm: with me,...' - Benkei

:shakinghead: I hate people. - Kath
Chris73

Postby cblack.tx » Wed May 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Chris73 wrote:Where's Disraeli when you need him?

Have you looked in his tomb? :lol:
Random Noise Generator 1390-B
cblack.tx
Satrap

Postby Chris73 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:13 pm

'Ares urged on the Trojans,
while bright-eyed Athena kept rousing the Achaeans.
With them came Terror, Fear, and tireless Strife,
sister and companion of man-destroying Ares—
at first small in stature, she later grows enormous,
head reaching heaven, as she strides across the earth.
Strife went through crowds of soldiers, casting hatred
on both sides equally, multiplying human miseries.' - Homer, Iliad 4.440

'Don't get all :facepalm: with me,...' - Benkei

:shakinghead: I hate people. - Kath
Chris73

Postby cblack.tx » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. :)
cblack.tx
Satrap

Postby RAnthony » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm

In the news, Texas GOP Cuts Nose Off to Spite Face, Then Stupidly Looks Up in a Rainstorm and Drowns.

http://tfninsider.org/2012/06/28/texas- ... ng-skills/
Remember when Texas State Board of Education member David Bradley criticized teachers and scholars who were crafting new language arts and reading curriculum standards for Texas schools back in 2008? Having students actually think about what they were reading didn’t seem like a good idea to Bradley:
“I’m sorry. This critical thinking stuff is gobbledygook.”
Well, Bradley’s fellow Republicans appear to agree. The 2012 Texas GOP platform adopted this month in Fort Worth includes the following gem:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
So the Texas GOP worries that teaching kids to think is a threat to parental authority. Who knew?

http://ranthonysteele.blogspot.com/2012 ... ernor.html

RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby cblack.tx » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am

The entire GOP platform for the state of Texas is a laundry list of that sort of nonsense.

The religious right has near monopoly political power in this state. They are the worst sort of extremists. Dumb as rocks and utterly convinced of their own righteousness.
cblack.tx
Satrap

Postby boethius » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:25 am

Keep the theories of Christian clergy out of secular biology classrooms:

"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:27 am

Might want to remove this guy too.

Not to mention foundational Catholic scientists like Galileo, Copernicus..
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Common Sense Show