The 2010 Dan Carlin Community Secret Santa Gift Exchange

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, robroydude, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: The 2010 Dan Carlin Community Secret Santa Gift Exchange

Postby Flipowitz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:09 am

Kath wrote:
Flipowitz wrote:I know exactly what to get for you, Kath

A leather toy? :inlove:

That's what I'm getting for The Poodle--that crazy bitch--do you like basted pigs ears, too? :snicker:
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.
Flipowitz
Satrap

Postby navy62802 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm giving it a try this year. Last year I admit, I was a little creeped out by this. But I'm looking forward to it.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:33 pm

navy62802 wrote:I'm giving it a try this year. Last year I admit, I was a little creeped out by this. But I'm looking forward to it.

We should setup a donation account and get you some gear for deployments.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby navy62802 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
navy62802 wrote:I'm giving it a try this year. Last year I admit, I was a little creeped out by this. But I'm looking forward to it.

We should setup a donation account and get you some gear for deployments.

Nah, don't do that!! Your tax dollars are already funding my expeditions!!

But, I wouldn't mind having Season 1 of the X-Files.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Well, in that case.. I wouldn't mind a Kimber 1911 Tactical Pro II with a few extra clips and Crimson Trace Laser Grips.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby DBTrek » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

All I've ever asked for was some understanding.

:snicker:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby navy62802 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Well, in that case.. I wouldn't mind a Kimber 1911 Tactical Pro II with a few extra clips and Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

Haha, that's really funny. I was going to add to my previous post something to the effect of 300 rounds for my FAL.

Of course, I wouldn't mind a Para-Ordnance 1911!!

PS: The 300 rounds for the FAL is way more affordable. :wink:
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby robin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 am

:hiding:
The Boy Wonder
Visit the Beta Website!
http://www.dancarlin.net
robin
The Boy Wonder

Postby XRe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

navy62802 wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Of course, I wouldn't mind a Para-Ordnance 1911!!

Especially when you tack on all the gunsmithing money you'll have to dump into that boat anchor to get it anywhere near reliable... :altshock: There's a reason you don't see Paras (even custom built Paras) running around in competition circles 8) Trust a brother...

Besides, primary weapon ammo beats a sidearm any day of the week, affordable or not... :lol:

As for me, I love books. My Amazon wish list is here: http://amzn.com/w/X5SXOVQSK9TE - there's plenty on there that's within the limit for this gift exchange. Anything on there would be much appreciated... If anything else, that should give you an idea of the flavor I'm into - something else similar but not on the list would also be appreciated :) Everything else I'm into is way too expensive ... :lol:
Dave Re
"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives." Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"...we are breaking through all those sacred maxims of our forefathers, and giving alarm to every wise man on the continent of America, that all his rights depend on the will of men whose corruptions are notorious, who regard him as an enemy, and who have no interest in his prosperity." - George Johnstone, addressing the British House of Commons, October 26, 1775 (sound familiar?)
XRe
Early Adapter

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:26 pm

XRe wrote:
navy62802 wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Of course, I wouldn't mind a Para-Ordnance 1911!!

Especially when you tack on all the gunsmithing money you'll have to dump into that boat anchor to get it anywhere near reliable... :altshock: There's a reason you don't see Paras (even custom built Paras) running around in competition circles 8) Trust a brother...

Besides, primary weapon ammo beats a sidearm any day of the week, affordable or not... :lol:

As for me, I love books. My Amazon wish list is here: http://amzn.com/w/X5SXOVQSK9TE - there's plenty on there that's within the limit for this gift exchange. Anything on there would be much appreciated... If anything else, that should give you an idea of the flavor I'm into - something else similar but not on the list would also be appreciated :) Everything else I'm into is way too expensive ... :lol:

But what do you think about the full-sized Kimber 1911? Not as a carry weapon (since I am not allowed to carry :innocent:) but just as a shtf sidearm.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby navy62802 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:But what do you think about the full-sized Kimber 1911? Not as a carry weapon (since I am not allowed to carry :innocent:) but just as a shtf sidearm.

No experience with the Kimber 1911. I had a Springfield Armory 1911 once, and it was just fine. Now I have a SIG P220 which looks sexy, but doesn't really function any better than a 1911 model. But it is easier and quicker to field strip. However, I would recommend going with the 1911 or a Glock, strictly for the price tag.

On another note, I was surprised when I was able to hit a man-sized target at 75 yards (and could have probably done it at 100 but the shooting range was too short) with the M-9 Beretta. I don't really like the power of the 9mm cartridge when compared to the .45 ACP, but the accuracy was impressive.

And as far as sidearms go, as long as the gun fits into a drop leg holster, I'm fine with the size and weight of almost any pistol. I would even say that you should try not to go too small with a true sidearm. A sidearm is, after all, a secondary weapon. It should be employed when your primary quits firing.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm

The thing that concerns me is that you have to train a little to swap magazines from your belt. Eight rounds just seems kind of weak.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Kath » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:16 pm

C'mon, guys! This is the "Happy/We All Like Each Other So We're Gonna Surprise Each Other," fun, Santa thread. If pre-move search was working, I'd point you to a gun thread or two. Could one of you start a "Here's the best gun stocking stuffer, ever!" thread and let this be what it's supposed to be?
:badday:

I like kittens.

If you believe you can't do something, you are absolutely right.
Kath
Archon

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm

I like Airedale puppies.

Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Flipowitz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:24 am

Yeah, what Kath said!
Why can't you be more helpful, Doc? You've written on some other thread that you're not legally able to own a firearm and I'm not too sure it's legal to ship one directly anyway. (Ammunition, on the other hand is legal to ship, in most states, I'm pretty sure.) And an Airedale? I wouldn't know how to ship one of those with any degree of assurance that it would arrive alive!
Xre's idea is genius! I hope I can be his secret Santa--he's listedd a book I absolutely adore! I'd be very happy to buy it for him.
And I won't ship drugs either, so try to be more helpful, mmmmmmmm'k?
:drunk:
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.
Flipowitz
Satrap

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Area