why do grammar nazis exist

Please feel free to discuss Dan's shows.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

why do grammar nazis exist

Postby chris_s918 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:48 am

All across the world people are total nazis for grammar, why is that? Isn't grammar a form of communication that is varied as the next person.Nor do we as a people go up to another guy that talks "what up dog,what it do?" do you correct that person on the streets and call him stupid, attention whore ,or troll? nope.People just go about there ways .So why do people on forums across the net do this? I come here mainly due to the fact of a great community wonderful knowledge handed out to be enjoyed and learned from.
chris_s918
Contributing Member

Re: why do grammar nazis exist

Postby bugsuper » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:26 am

Well, if this is a serious question, I'll attempt to answer it :D

Some reasons:

People are so picky about written grammar rather than, as it were, "spoken grammar" is because generally there's no impediment to understanding in spoken communication; you can understand easily what someone's saying phonetically, from context and from body language. In written communication, it's more difficult; a badly-worded or grammatically shocking message requires a lot more effort to read, and it feels like the effort that should've been spent typing it up correctly has been shifted for the reader to bear. In the same way as writing a text message in textspeak is easier for the author, but more difficult for the writer to interpret.

Also, people love to judge. Even people who don't think they love to judge. I always think of this evolutionarily; if you're a caveman encountering another caveman, you need to instantly assess whether this person is a friend or foe, hostile or vulnerable. It's not as important to get a well-rounded, 360 degree view of a person's character in a tribal situation. Therefore we're programmed to judge, judge quickly, and judge massively based on minor features. So if your grammar is poor, people will automatically deem you inferior and judge you for it, in the same way as reading some of my posts probably makes it sound like I have a massive superiority complex.

It's also a very cheap way of scoring points in an argument by appearing to be the civilized, logical person versus the barbaric, confused alternative. You can very easily demean someone in the eyes of everyone else (because we're so quick to judge) without really addressing any of their arguments. And a lot of people on the internet, who spend vast portions of their time on internet forums (no offence to the dozens of well-rounded individuals here, because I consider myself one of those people), regularly feel inferior to other people and need the ego boost that only comes with shooting someone down about grammar.

With all of that said, I think it's still mainly a question of effort, and it's a more level playing field if everyone puts the same thought into writing gramatically. Which I'm sure you do.
"The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. No, the true measure of a man is this: how quickly can he respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give." - Philip K Dick
bugsuper
Contributing Member

Postby MaDuce » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:48 am

We just ask that you put as much effort into composing your posts as we do reading them.

"Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken
MaDuce
Satrap

Postby MediaGhost10 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:27 pm

If it's any consolation, there have been "grammar nazis" throughout history:

MediaGhost10
Contributing Member

Postby DrYouth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:40 pm

The attention whore comments had nothing to do with the grammar.
They had to do with the icon of a creature holding a giant sign that read
"Pay attention to me!"

Your grammar has improved nicely.
So our grammar nazi ways are paying off.
Is the spell checker cramping your style, or why the beef?

DrY
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"If throwing the mentally challenged off bridges were legal under the Death with Dignity Act, there's enough retards on this thread alone to shut down shipping on the Columbia River." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
DrYouth
Hetairoi

Postby chris_s918 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm not really mad but being called an attention whore, or stupid upsets me i come to this board because i love the podcast.Then i got addicted to the intelligence in this board ,and thats why i keep coming back yet i keep getting made fun of.I honestly try hard with everything i do i rarely ever slack off
chris_s918
Contributing Member

Postby DrYouth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Don't worry Chris.
You're kinda growing on us... Now that we can read what you're writing.
You have an inquisitive mind. And basically anybody who digs Dan Carlin is alright with us.

DrY
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"If throwing the mentally challenged off bridges were legal under the Death with Dignity Act, there's enough retards on this thread alone to shut down shipping on the Columbia River." drtrech

DrYouth
Hetairoi

Postby RAnthony » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:44 pm

He's not growing on me, although his writing is improving. Still waiting for him to make sense.
Last edited by RAnthony on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I unsettle all things. No facts are to me sacred; none are profane; I simply experiment, an endless seeker with no past at my back." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"So who the fuck are you RAnthony? Are you anything like the people you don't respond to say you are?"
RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby DrYouth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Have you heard MediaGhost lately...

DrY

DrYouth
Hetairoi

Postby General Buttnekked » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm

if a person doesn't understand the difference between "their", "there" and "they're", that person is generally an idiot.
It is difficult to take someone seriously when they insist on expressing their deep thoughts with, "cuz we 4 tha rights uv thee pepl"

If you insist on other people translating YOUR gibberish (rather than you learning how to communicate with the rest of civilization), it comes off as selfish.
General Buttnekked
Nomarch

Postby The Road Rascal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm

If one were to determine what attribute the Grammer Nazi shares with a beast, it would be the cunning and the predatory instinct of a hawk. But if one were to determine what attributes the illiterate share with a beast, it would be that of the rat. If a rat were to log in right now as I'm talking, would you treat it to a saucer of your delicious milk?
:MaskedElvis:
The Road Rascal
Nomarch

Postby TheRidge » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm

chris_s918 wrote:I'm not really mad but being called an attention whore, or stupid upsets me i come to this board because i love the podcast.Then i got addicted to the intelligence in this board ,and thats why i keep coming back yet i keep getting made fun of.I honestly try hard with everything i do i rarely ever slack off

I think a commitment to improvement is an important part of this board. Many have made errors that have been embarrassing. But if you stay determined to learn and improve, it will eventually pay off.

I think with your starting to spell posts correctly, you are at least getting on the path to improvement.
There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann.
How to Solve It, George Pólya

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later, Philip K. Dick

Drop in, post something, fight, get pissed off, and then find out you learned something along the way. You will find that is often a pattern you will go through in the D.C.F. ~ TheRidge
TheRidge
Satrap

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:50 pm

If everybody had a mom like Kath, this kind of thread would never exist.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby MediaGhost10 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 am

chris_s918 wrote:I'm not really mad but being called an attention whore, or stupid upsets me

chris_s918 wrote:i come to this board because i love the podcast.

chris_s918 wrote:Then i got addicted to the intelligence in this board,

chris_s918 wrote:and thats why i keep coming back yet i keep getting made fun of.I honestly try hard with everything i do i rarely ever slack off

Look, if you're really looking for a reasoned discussion of current events, you'd be far better off talking to a few reasonably intelligent friends and/or relatives. This is not the place for that.
MediaGhost10
Contributing Member

Postby DrYouth » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 am

Wuzzup MediaGhost - afraid Chris is going to raise the standards around here so you're gonna try to scare him off.

DrY

DrYouth
Hetairoi

Next

Return to Discuss the Common Sense Show