...so what's the story with this Gary Johnson guy?

Please feel free to discuss Dan's shows.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

...so what's the story with this Gary Johnson guy?

Postby FourEyesBrewing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:12 pm

At one point he was the Republican front runner, but only because he was the first officially-declared candidate. He was also on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, which gives him a couple style points. Anyway, here's the rundown on him, from his website http://www.garyjohnson2012.com.

-Governor of New Mexico, 1994-2003, left his state budget with a surplus.
-Running as a fiscally conservative Republican
-Loves to veto like a fat kid loves cake

Sounds pretty typical (and boring) right? Now on the issues...

-pro marijuana legalization
-pro gay marriage
-pro immigration
-anti internet censorship
-anti war (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya)
-anti Patriot Act
-pro Habeas corpus - charge incarcerated individuals asap
-pro choice
-pro stem cell research
-calls for transparency of the Federal Reserve

I'm not a Gary Johnson fan boy by any means. And that's a very binary description of him, but he's certainly not your typical Republican. Much more independent/pragmatic on some of the social issues. Given Dan's latest podcast's focus on both pot legalization and strategies for winning the primary and the independents, I think he's worth keeping an eye on. Apparently only he and Ron Paul seemed to have real answers to some of the questions in New Hampshire, yet he really hasn't gotten much press coverage yet. I really don't know much at all about him or his track record.

Anyone know anything about him? Thoughts?
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy." -Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
FourEyesBrewing

Re: ...so what's the story with this Gary Johnson guy?

Postby waxfranklin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Interesting, but not enough info on his site. I'll have to dig a little more.
My Political Compass

"Friends applaud, the comedy is over" - Beethoven

"I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?" - Clark W. Griswold
waxfranklin

Postby RAnthony » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 am

He pissed off the powers that be, and now he's not taken seriously by them. Stossel had a program featuring him a few weeks back.
"I unsettle all things. No facts are to me sacred; none are profane; I simply experiment, an endless seeker with no past at my back." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"So who the fuck are you RAnthony? Are you anything like the people you don't respond to say you are?"
RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby evil muppet » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 am

He's a libertarian. That's about all I know. He gave a small speech at a meeting I went to a few months ago. I don't think he's as radical of a libertarian as someone like Ron Paul.
evil muppet
Nomarch

Postby GrkEngineer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:36 am

Came across this article posted on my Google+ stream.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/politic ... -interview

It's the first time I've heard of him. The article intrigued me though. I wonder if Dan would do a show with him.
GrkEngineer

Postby e_room_matt » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:22 am

He's a younger, slightly more pro-weed, version of Ron Paul with some business background.

...Which means he is obviously a closet memeber of the KKK bent on world domination for the benefit of a small cadre of powerful rich super-corportations.
e_room_matt
Satrap

Postby RAnthony » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

I'd vote for him. I'd vote for Ron Paul. I'd vote for Huntsman as well (but he won't get the nomination, despite being the most qualified candidate for the office of president, besides the guy who's butt is currently in the chair) I won't vote for Romney. The painful orchestrations surrounding the pretense of maybe selecting someone else is why I have no interest in politics right now. Will be reading several good books over the next couple of years...
"I unsettle all things. No facts are to me sacred; none are profane; I simply experiment, an endless seeker with no past at my back." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"So who the fuck are you RAnthony? Are you anything like the people you don't respond to say you are?"
RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Why can't you guys just vote for a real libertarian from the libertarian party? Why do you have to even discuss voting for republicans when they are part of the problem, and most of you damned well understand that fact?

If libertarianism is so strong, then run real libertarians in the real libertarian party. We need a lot less republicans and democrats. Few of you have anything at all in common with the GOP. You constantly advocate for things the GOP opposes, or oppose things that the GOP advocates. So why do you do this?

If you are libertarians, then you are NOT republicans. If you are not republicans, then why the hell would you vote for them?
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby RAnthony » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Why can't you guys just vote for a real libertarian from the libertarian party? Why do you have to even discuss voting for republicans when they are part of the problem, and most of you damned well understand that fact?

If libertarianism is so strong, then run real libertarians in the real libertarian party. We need a lot less republicans and democrats. Few of you have anything at all in common with the GOP. You constantly advocate for things the GOP opposes, or oppose things that the GOP advocates. So why do you do this?

If you are libertarians, then you are NOT republicans. If you are not republicans, then why the hell would you vote for them?
...I might even end up voting for Obama; how's them biscuits?

RAnthony
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 pm

You are killing me here. :hmph:

All I am saying.. if people are really into libertarianism, then please vote for libertarians, not republicans. Neither the GOP or the DLC place acceptable candidates on the ticket. They just don't. Look at these people they put out there. It's a comic tragedy.

If you want to vote for libertarians, then the poster who goes by evil muppet himself is a thousand times more qualified than any republican candidate with respect to libertarian governance and politics. How much worse can you really go than a republican or democrat? And yet people who oppose everything about these parties continue to discuss voting for those parties as if they don't have any other choice?
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby FourEyesBrewing » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Why can't you guys just vote for a real libertarian from the libertarian party? Why do you have to even discuss voting for republicans when they are part of the problem, and most of you damned well understand that fact?

I posed this question because I was curious about a guy who was running as a republican on a clearly non-republican platform. So why is everyone trying to label him? Dr. Strangelove, I just think you're approach to picking a candidate is a little bull headed. You're promoting some candidates and dismissing others merely on the basis of what they (or someone else) called them. Is Johnson a libertarian? I don't know, who the eff cares? Let's evaluate him on the basis of his past record and his stances on current issues, period. To accuse people of not becoming a libertarian fan boy like yourself is simply divisive, dismissive of others' ideals, and fails to promote meaningful discussion on issues. "Why can't you guys just vote for a real libertarian from the libertarian party?" Because that kind of partisan politics, blind to the spectrum of opinions that exist, is partly what's gotten us into such a mess.
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy." -Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
FourEyesBrewing

Postby StCapps » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm

FourEyesBrewing wrote:

I posed this question because I was curious about a guy who was running as a republican on a clearly non-republican platform. So why is everyone trying to label him? Dr. Strangelove, I just think you're approach to picking a candidate is a little bull headed. You're promoting some candidates and dismissing others merely on the basis of what they (or someone else) called them. Is Johnson a libertarian? I don't know, who the eff cares? Let's evaluate him on the basis of his past record and his stances on current issues, period. To accuse people of not becoming a libertarian fan boy like yourself is simply divisive, dismissive of others' ideals, and fails to promote meaningful discussion on issues. "Why can't you guys just vote for a real libertarian from the libertarian party?" Because that kind of partisan politics, blind to the spectrum of opinions that exist, is partly what's gotten us into such a mess.
:lol: :snicker: :lol:
Dr. Strangelove a libertarian fan boy. That's jokes, I'm so glad I didn't have a beverage in my mouth or it would have been all over the computer screen. Noobs making silly comments ftw.

For the record FourEyesBrewing, Dr. Strangelove is notorious for being Thee Libertarian Hater here at the DCF.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm

What the hell does that have to do with anything I just wrote?
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby StCapps » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:What the hell does that have to do with anything I just wrote?
I don't know but it sure is funny. :snicker:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby evil muppet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:57 am

The last guy that ran on the Libertarian Party ticket for president was Bob Barr. Someone who is not a libertarian.

Here are the people trying to get the LP nomination
http://rvgary2012.com/
http://www.rjharris2012.com/
http://carlperson.org/
http://wrights2012.com/
evil muppet
Nomarch

Next

Return to Discuss the Common Sense Show