JFK was a player

Discuss news commentaries here.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

JFK was a player

Postby Montana_Zag » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:13 pm

"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die." - Ned Stark
Montana_Zag
Satrap

Re: JFK was a player

Postby AverageJoe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I would say that I'm surprised, but that's about par for the course for that guy.
Misinformed. Ignorant. Perpetually Mad.
That's the new American way.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

"I'm too old to be governed by the fear of dumb people" -Charlie Skinner

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby Penner » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Montana_Zag wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/06/mimi-alford-jfk-affair_n_1257759.html?1328558164&ncid=webmail4

Another of JFK's flings comes forward. That dude really got around.

AverageJoe wrote:I would say that I'm surprised, but that's about par for the course for that guy.

I am not really surprised that another JFK affair has come to light. We know (now) that JFK had many affairs and possibly an illegitimate son living in Vancouver.
Penner
Nomarch

Postby navy62802 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 am

AverageJoe wrote:I would say that I'm surprised, but that's about par for the course for that guy.

Yeah, pretty much. Kennedy was a player.

I think many people focus on this stuff too much, though. And because they focus on his moral failings, they overlook the fact that he averted a nuclear holocaust. I, for one, am grateful that he dealt so skillfully with the Cuban missile crisis. He was the right person in the right position of power at just the right time. Put a Nixon or a Carter or a Bush in there, and it might have turned out completely differently. He used the right balance of force, political posturing and compromise. Not many presidents would have been as skillful and successful in de-escalating the situation. Our presidents today would fold to the advice of a Curtis LeMay.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Penner » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm

navy62802 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Kennedy was a player.

I think many people focus on this stuff too much, though. And because they focus on his moral failings, they overlook the fact that he averted a nuclear holocaust. I, for one, am grateful that he dealt so skillfully with the Cuban missile crisis. He was the right person in the right position of power at just the right time. Put a Nixon or a Carter or a Bush in there, and it might have turned out completely differently. He used the right balance of force, political posturing and compromise. Not many presidents would have been as skillful and successful in de-escalating the situation. Our presidents today would fold to the advice of a Curtis LeMay.

I have to agree that Kennedy was the right politician during the Cuban Missile Crisis. If it was anybody else (like Nixon, who ran against Kennedy in 1960) things could have ended for the worse.

Although, I think that we, as a Nation, are sort of obsessed (especially with like Kennedy and Lincoln) with our Presidents' social lives. It is like looking into a different world, like a weird and morbid fascination with it. Also, we tend to think of our Presidents as great men and we assume that they are immune to do things that we consider to be immoral.

I also think that part of the obsession has to do with the fact that both Kennedy and Lincoln lived in a period of American history where great changed and turmoil happened, and that both were cut short from making more dramatic changes to America. The obvious choice with Lincoln would have been with what he would have done with Reconstruction and with Kennedy it would have been the Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam.
Penner
Nomarch

Postby Smitty-48 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Penner wrote:
I have to agree that Kennedy was the right politician during the Cuban Missile Crisis. If it was anybody else (like Nixon, who ran against Kennedy in 1960) things could have ended for the worse.

Kennedy caused the crisis in the first place and then let it spiral, before he put his dick, and his Turkey based Jupiter missiles, back in his pants, after the Soviets scared the shit outta him.

Nixon mops the floor with JFK. Nixon won the Cold War.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Return to News Commentaries