GOP Memo: Abortion, Leading Cause of Death Among Blacks

Discuss news commentaries here.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

GOP Memo: Abortion, Leading Cause of Death Among Blacks

Postby Waleis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 pm

"A House GOP memo obtained by Mother Jones argues for a controversial "prenatal discrimination bill" by referring to "black abortions" as distinct from abortions in general and claiming that "abortion is the leading cause of death in the black community." The memo (PDF) was circulated by Republicans on the House judiciary committee on Monday in advance of Tuesday's markup of Rep. Trent Franks' (R-Ariz.) Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act."

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/hou ... -community
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Re: GOP Memo: Abortion, Leading Cause of Death Among Blacks

Postby Runicmadhamster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Waleis wrote:"A House GOP memo obtained by Mother Jones argues for a controversial "prenatal discrimination bill" by referring to "black abortions" as distinct from abortions in general and claiming that"abortion is the leading cause of death in the black community." The memo (PDF) was circulated by Republicans on the House judiciary committee on Monday in advance of Tuesday's markup of Rep. Trent Franks' (R-Ariz.) Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act."

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/hou ... -community

I would like to see the figures before jumping to any conclusions, but that does sound off.
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby Waleis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Runicmadhamster wrote:I would like to see the figures before jumping to any conclusions, but that does sound off.

It sounds completely insane! Such a load of bullshit.

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Runicmadhamster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Waleis wrote:
Runicmadhamster wrote:I would like to see the figures before jumping to any conclusions, but that does sound off.

It sounds completely insane! Such a load of bullshit.

Yeah that is the way i am leaning, but experience has taught me that sometimes insane things can be true, but i really do doubt it in this instance.
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby Waleis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Runicmadhamster wrote:Yeah that is the way i am leaning, but experience has taught me that sometimes insane things can be true, but i really do doubt it in this instance.

Seriously, abortion isn't a "leading cause" of anything. This is a particularly unusual form of race-baiting by the right wing.

Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Runicmadhamster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Waleis wrote:
Runicmadhamster wrote:Yeah that is the way i am leaning, but experience has taught me that sometimes insane things can be true, but i really do doubt it in this instance.

Seriously, abortion isn't a "leading cause" of anything. This is a particularly unusual form of race-baiting by the right wing.

That would seem to be the case, but it does seem like a pretty stupid thing for the GOP to say, and they have said some really stupid things.
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby hondo69 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am

I thought the leading cause of death among blacks was being shot by other blacks. Geez, would they get their memos straight? How else are the talking heads going to know what to say when they make the rounds on TV tonight?
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 am

The Census Bureau, as of 2009, indicates black Americans comprise 12.4 percent of the total population of the United States, but Guttmacher’s new numbers reveal approximately 30 percent of the abortions in the United States are done on black women.

Statewide statistic in places with a large share of African-Americans also shows the racial component of abortion.

In Georgia in 2006, 57.4 percent of abortions are performed on African-American women even though blacks comprise just 30 percent of the general population. In Texas, abortions on black women comprise nearly 25% of all state abortions even though they only constitute 12.7% of the female population (ages 15-44). Every other racial demographic shares a smaller percentage of statewide abortions than their respective percentage of total population.

Rachel Jones, a senior research associate at the pro-abortion group and former Planned Parenthood affiliate, admits the average group of women who get an abortion “are more likely to be women of color” and black women “are more likely to have an abortion” than white women.

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/01/17/on-m ... -abortion/

Well, gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that their founder was a eugenicist whose stated objective was the reduction of the black population? Nah. Couldn't be that. Fifty million abortions, most of them black. Probably doesn't factor into the equation, right?

The reality is that if you want to match that cause of death, you literally need another Holocaust. Not just any Holocaust either. We are talking about roughly fifty million Americans here, almost half of them black, even though blacks are a small minority of the population.

If you are going to push for this type of thing, especially when it's run by a eugenics organization with racist foundation, then you should face the result. Don't scoff at it and plead it can't be real. It's real.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby datchiso » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:56 am

Waleis wrote:

More of a "talking point".

It's doubtful anyone, even the person who came up with the idea believes it, but in politics, like advertising, the originator does not need to believe as long as the can convince others to do so.
datchiso

Postby StCapps » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
The Census Bureau, as of 2009, indicates black Americans comprise 12.4 percent of the total population of the United States, but Guttmacher’s new numbers reveal approximately 30 percent of the abortions in the United States are done on black women.

Statewide statistic in places with a large share of African-Americans also shows the racial component of abortion.

In Georgia in 2006, 57.4 percent of abortions are performed on African-American women even though blacks comprise just 30 percent of the general population. In Texas, abortions on black women comprise nearly 25% of all state abortions even though they only constitute 12.7% of the female population (ages 15-44). Every other racial demographic shares a smaller percentage of statewide abortions than their respective percentage of total population.

Rachel Jones, a senior research associate at the pro-abortion group and former Planned Parenthood affiliate, admits the average group of women who get an abortion “are more likely to be women of color” and black women “are more likely to have an abortion” than white women.

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/01/17/on-m ... -abortion/

Well, gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that their founder was a eugenicist whose stated objective was the reduction of the black population? Nah. Couldn't be that. Fifty million abortions, most of them black. Probably doesn't factor into the equation, right?

The reality is that if you want to match that cause of death, you literally need another Holocaust. Not just any Holocaust either. We are talking about roughly fifty million Americans here, almost half of them black, even though blacks are a small minority of the population.

If you are going to push for this type of thing, especially when it's run by a eugenics organization with racist foundation, then you should face the result. Don't scoff at it and plead it can't be real. It's real.
I was going say something similar but thank you for bringing up Margaret Sanger being a eugenicist and abortion rates being much higher for minorities especially African Americans. Calling out PP for being founded by a eugenicist cunt certainly has more impact coming from you than the forum conspiracy theorist. Either way it's very clear that H.G. Wells had a wretched taste in women. :snicker:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Kath » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 am

Sigh

Of course more black women will have abortions. Our congressional mandated/funded "abstinence only" education does far more harm then good.

It all goes back to root causes outlined in a This American Life episode featuring The Harlem Children's Zone.

You have an entire population that never got a shot at a good education and learned on the streets. They went from slavery to segregation to welfare, but only if there's no father in the home, and also teaching that more kids = more cash.

There is a percentage of our black population that has never had any chance whatsoever.

The Harlem Children's Zone is proving that how a child is treated in his/her first couple of years makes all the difference in the world. If you had a shitty parent who had a shitty parent who had a shitty parent and you are never taught what good parenting looks like, this is what you end up with.

If you are against both abortion AND teaching teenagers how to not get pregnant, then you are part of the problem.
If you believe you can't do something, you are absolutely right.
Kath
Archon

Postby clubgop » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:46 am

Yet another play of the race card yet another epic fail. Facts are stubborn things.
"I try to be creative and have some quips, with a unique viewpoint, especially among denizens of this board. That makes me Ryan Leif. But someone who spews the typical mainstream media viewpoint pablum which anyone could get from 75% of the rest of the board with the wit of a Superbowl ad from the 80's, is Peyton Manning. The double standard is alive and strong."
clubgop
Satrap

Postby wise_owl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:50 am

I think one should question why Black women are having so many unwanted pregnancies and than choosing to abort; and let me tell you, it's not because of some Cackling Eugenicist at planned parenthood.

Blacks still have a higher Fertility rate in the US than whites(that is, per unit of say 1000 mothers, more black babies are born than white babies, at least according to the US census). Contraception use is lower among Blacks than Whites. Though I'm not sure that paints a whole picture. Certainly poor women are far more likely to get abortions that women who aren't poor.

I love the condescension that underlines these sorts of discussions, as if say, planned parenthood is dragging confused black teenagers into clinics where they confusedly undergo abortion procedures without knowing what's going on.
wise_owl
Contributing Member

Postby StCapps » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 am

wise_owl wrote:I love the condescension that underlines these sorts of discussions, as if say, planned parenthood is dragging confused black teenagers into clinics where they confusedly undergo abortion procedures without knowing what's going on.
Yeah no one implied that. You are merely strawmanning our position.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby godslabrat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 am

This is an interesting dynamic if facts bear it out (and I don't know if they will, further scrutiny is very much called for). If true, it essentially leaves two options:

1) The black population is culturally driven to behaviors that result in a very high rate of unwanted pregnancy, and also to end those pregnancies with abortion. The question then is... what factors contribute to this? The implication is that factors in the black culture as a whole need to be corrected... but to even suggest drawing conclusions along racial lines is opening oneself to cries of "racism!"

or...

2) If the unplanned pregnancy rate is roughly the same as other ethnic groups, then this would mean that PP is targeting the black population. This calls into question PP's ethics, to say the least.

OTOH, if you subscribe to the theory that abortion is nothing more than a personal choice, then what does it matter if a certain percentage of a certain ethnic group does it?
godslabrat
Contributing Member

Next

Return to News Commentaries