FP: Chicken Little is full of pompous baloney

Discuss news commentaries here.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

FP: Chicken Little is full of pompous baloney

Postby AverageJoe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:54 am

An interesting article by David Rothkopf. Are we, or our politicians, over-hyping the doom and gloom in the US?

Personally I say yes and it will only get worse as this is an election year.

Chicken Little is full of pompous baloney

Excerpt:
The president and the Republican candidates speak ominously of the threats we face and speak wistfully of the past or inspiringly of better tomorrows. It's no wonder that Midnight in Paris was one of the past year's signature films. Everyone is suffering from golden age-ism, yearning for anything but what we've got.

But what if the premise is wrong? What if these are actually the best of times? What if we are living in the best moment in U.S. history and we are not even enjoying it?
Misinformed. Ignorant. Perpetually Mad.
That's the new American way.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

"I'm too old to be governed by the fear of dumb people" -Charlie Skinner

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Re: FP: Chicken Little is full of pompous baloney

Postby hondo69 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:19 am

It's always about churning up fear in the populace.

Of course, most of the time it's nothing but overheated rhetoric designed to churn up support for the latest legislation. They forget to tell us it's a bait and switch that really means a government takeover of our liberties. So when the call to arms comes people will think it's just Chicken Little crying wolf again.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby Waleis » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 pm

America has already seen its best days...but not for the reasons the Republicans and Democrats suggest.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby navy62802 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Waleis wrote:America has already seen its best days...but not for the reasons the Republicans and Democrats suggest.

Eh, I don't believe that. We can return to prosperity. But it's going to take a lot of structural changes in the way we handle politics and economic issues. I think those changes will come ... either by choice or by inevitability.

There are certainly things we should fear in the US ... however, most Americans fear the wrong things.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Waleis » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 pm

navy62802 wrote:Eh, I don't believe that. We can return to prosperity. But it's going to take a lot of structural changes in the way we handle politics and economic issues. I think those changes will come ... either by choice or by inevitability.

The sickness that lead to this collapse still exists, and it's within each of us.

It's easy to blame individuals, and it's easy to blame government, and it's easy to blame corporations. But where did all this come from, if not from within ourselves?

We seek the maximum, rather than the optimum. We're a nation of hustlers. What else should we have expected. Our collapse was always inevitable, like entropy.

The fault lies not in our stars, but within ourselves.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Return to News Commentaries