Podcasts that are (almost) as good as Dans?

Books, TV, Movies, and Radio, what should we be seeing, reading or listening to.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Podcasts that are (almost) as good as Dans?

Postby ceebee4 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:45 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned:

Fresh Air
and
The Young Turks

If Common Sense and TYT (the political hour) were a Venn Diagram, the opinion overlap would be roughly 78%.
"It may be so, but it is not always so." --Shunryu Suzuki

"We're having a good time."
ceebee4

Postby Boney Mantis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:36 pm

If you want interesting podcasts that are also highly intellectual I would go to the LSE (London School of Economics) website.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/podcasts ... Events.htm

There are something like 200 podcasts available on topics from like geopolitics, economics in developed and developing nations, human rights, etc. The ones I have listened to so far have been good quality and incredibly interesting and thought provoking.
Boney Mantis

Postby Kiltman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Boney Mantis wrote:If you want interesting podcasts that are also highly intellectual I would go to the LSE (London School of Economics) website.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/podcasts ... Events.htm

There are something like 200 podcasts available on topics from like geopolitics, economics in developed and developing nations, human rights, etc. The ones I have listened to so far have been good quality and incredibly interesting and thought provoking.

:dudesign:

Thanks Boney! Oh, and while I'm at it: Welcome aboard!
Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy.
Kiltman
Nomarch

Postby cogent » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:01 pm

I am always interested in finding interesting podcasts and seek ideas/recommendations.

These, excluding Ben's, which top the list, are the ones that I like best (maybe in order.)

1. WTF with Marc Maron
2. This American Life
3. The Moth
4. WNYC’s Radiolab
5. TED Talks
6. Science Friday
7. Onion Radio News
8. NPR Planet Money
9. NPR Story of the Day
10. Commonwealth Club of California
11. Freakonomics Radio
12. NPR Fresh Air

WOW! Gravity makes things go UP and OUT!
No explosion here, folks. AIN'T GRAVITY WONDERFUL!

Far more experts in architecture, engineering and demolition than were on all the government panels combined, testify that the WTC came down with explosives, but they're idiots and liars, with everything to gain, right?

In 1999 Afghan opium production was 4,500 tonnes. In late 2000 the Taliban, in the most successful drug eradication program in history, banned opium production and as a result 2001 opium production fell to 185 tonnes. After 9/11, our first act, in November, was to invade Afghanistan and liberate the opium warlords in time for planting, and thus 2002 opium production rose to almost 3,700 tons, and nearly 4,000 tons in 2003.

It’s OK if you call me a conspiracy theorist, just as long as you call yourself a coincidence theorist.
cogent
Contributing Member

Postby globyghost » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 am

Wow, thanks so much for starting this thread, I think I've got about 20 new podcasts to check out.

I myself am surprised no one has mentioned the Savage Lovecast (sex advice by Dan Savage - incredibly illuminating, sometimes shocking, and always sage advice).
Currently reading: Ford Madox Ford Parade's End, Joseph Campbell Hero With a Thousand Faces, Morford et al. Classical Mythology Currently listening: Atoms For Peace Amok, The Flaming Lips The Terror, AIR Moon Safari
globyghost

Postby histgeek » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:50 am

I have seen no mention of CBC radios Quirks and Quarks a weekly science broadcast that is available as a down load after the show airs. It runs about an hour.

The other CBC show I would suggest is Ideas. This show is not always available for download. It covers a wide variety of topics, but could general be considered to have a more intellectual tone.
histgeek

Postby scivian » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Heres a whole list of great podcasts - http://www.connectingideas.net
Last edited by scivian on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong" - (from the old miller)
scivian

Postby Kiltman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Has anyone heard the Russian Rulers podcast on iTunes?

I recently started listening to Why Radio

http://www.philosophyinpubliclife.org/W ... shows.html
Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy.
Kiltman
Nomarch

Postby t-spoon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:29 pm

If it hasn't already been mentioned, I love love love Stuff You Should Know. Chuck & Josh are great.
By the way, my name is Pep. It's not mister, junior, bub or Streebek. It's Pep. Friendships start with first names...Joe.
t-spoon
Contributing Member

Postby mustachedmarauder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 am

The History of Rome, by Mike Duncan, is a fascinating podcast chroinicling the entire history of the Roman Republic and Empire with wit, sarcasm, and great insight.

Historyzine, by Jim Mowatt (I think that spelling is correct), is a great podcast that is currently discussing the War of the Spanish succession. It is in-depth, with great attention to detail, character based (when appropriate), and full of a passion for history that I share with the podcaster.

The Spycast, fromt he International Spy Museum is a great look at the world of intelligence and espionage in the twentieth and twenty-first century. The Host worked for the CIA in Berlin (if I remember correctly) and has intriguing insights.

Whatever Lars Brownsworth does is gold in my book. I have listened to his history of the Normans, and his 12 Byzantine rulers, and am thinking about listening to them again, just for fun!
mustachedmarauder

Postby Klumpatsch » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:17 pm

I can't believe none of you has mentioned Skeptoid. :wave:
http://skeptoid.com/episode_guide.php

True it deals with these silly, silly conspiracy theories :clownyroll: , but if nothing else, it's great fun and tightly packed - 10 minutes of schadenfreude, and you can start to battle creationists. Some interesting episodes (besides the obvious ones):
* "Curing" gays
* Mao's Barefoot Doctors
* Military Dolphins
* Nuclear War and Nuclear Winter

Jon Ronson on... everything Jon Ronson is interested in.
Document is a great British muckraking/investigative series.
Documentaries focuses on current political issues. Some great ones (After the KGB, State Secrets, 24 Hours in Tulsa).
Point of Inquiry is a "high quality" interviewee science podcast. Interesting subjects, but usually the interview isn't so good. Might be worth a listen, anyway.
Astronomycast - well, I like it occasionally when something especially interests me. It's a bit like being back in school. :hurl:

The British Museum's History of the World in 100 Objects is, well, very British, but also quite interesting.

As to The History of Rome - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell. To me it's absolutely boring.
:splody:
Klumpatsch
Contributing Member

Postby babochina » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 am

Great advice!
I found more to listen than my all time favourites that I can only recommend as well:
- CS / HH
- Spycast
- NPR Wait Wait Don t Tell me
- Lars Bosworth (Byzantine and Norman rulers)
- The History of Rome (it s a bit dry, ok but ... what a job he s doing)
- Binge Thinking History
- Russian Rulers

I don t have gold nuggets to bring to the table except
- BBC History Magazine
- Oxford Dictionary Biographies (it may be uneven ...)

Podcasting is not quite popular in FR speaking countries, so it s mainly radio broadcasts. But in case someone may be interested:
- Rendez-vous avec X (a show telling intelligence and spy stories)
- La-bas si j y suis (featuring lengthy interviews from Chomsky, Zinn and similar minded people)
- Le Masque et la Plume (a brilliant show about the latest news in books, movies, theaters in Fr where critics share their advice)
"Anarchism is order without power" - Normand Baillargeon
babochina

Postby godslabrat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Smodcast- Used to love it until KS started getting stoned prior to recording. I don't find him nearly as funny when he's baked. I still listen every once in a while, but now episodes will pile up for weeks at a time before I even look at them.

My History Can Beat Up Your Politics- I second this reccomendation. Dry, almost clinical, but the host picks very timely topics and has tons of relevant facts at his disposal.

Sarcastic Gamer- Great if you love video games

Librivox Public Domain books read aloud. Excellent way of getting to "read" those classics that you kind of think you should know, but can never find the time to start.

Language lessons - I've been brusing up on my Mandarin

Cult of UHF - Don't know if this one is still around, but it used to be great for quirky movie treats.
godslabrat
Contributing Member

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 pm

godslabrat wrote:Smodcast- Used to love it until KS started getting stoned prior to recording. I don't find him nearly as funny when he's baked. I still listen every once in a while, but now episodes will pile up for weeks at a time before I even look at them.

I know right? Its hard to believe that its even the same podcast. Nowadays he just repeats himself and is nowhere near as funny. Midlife pot-crisis. Sad.
Oh, the humanity...
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap

Postby Zombees » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 pm

The Mad Zeppelineer wrote:
godslabrat wrote:Smodcast- Used to love it until KS started getting stoned prior to recording. I don't find him nearly as funny when he's baked. I still listen every once in a while, but now episodes will pile up for weeks at a time before I even look at them.

I know right? Its hard to believe that its even the same podcast. Nowadays he just repeats himself and is nowhere near as funny. Midlife pot-crisis. Sad.

Really? I still like them a lot. He plays a good fall guy to Scots straight guy routine, I think it works well.
Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.
Zombees
Contributing Member

PreviousNext

Return to Media Suggestions