Breaking Bad

Books, TV, Movies, and Radio, what should we be seeing, reading or listening to.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Breaking Bad

Postby StCapps » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:18 am

If you enjoy quality television and haven't seen Breaking Bad yet, you are beyond missing out. People throw around the phrase "the best show on television" way too often but in this case it wouldn't be much of a stretch at all. Breaking Bad is an original AMC drama series that follows the path of overqualified high school chemistry teacher Walter White, who after being diagnosed with terminal cancer, resorts to cooking crystal meth with former drop-out student, Jesse Pinkman, to provide for his family after his death.

I never would have thought that the quirky dad from Malcolm in Middle would end having such range but there's a reason why Bryan Cranston won the Emmy for Lead Actor in a Drama three consecutive years in a row (2008-2010). His trusted sidekick, Jessie Pinkman (played by Aaron Paul), is pretty solid too: He won the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in Drama in 2010 and was nominated in 2009. On top of that some of the guest starring roles have been truly epic such as Giancarlo Esposito's character Gus. (The greatest villain in television history for my money)

The show really starts to get rolling by it's third season but the first two seasons are still highly entertaining. BB continues to get better every season and has yet to peak. I for one cannot wait for the final 16 episodes.

The opening scene of the show gives but a little taste of the awesomeness to follow in the remainder of the series.

If this is the first you are hearing of the show then you can thank me later when you too are pissed off that the fifth and final season won't begin airing for a while.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby StCapps » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Please everyone don't mention how awesome Breaking Bad is all at once. :snicker:

In the meantime here's some Saul to tide you lollygaggers over.

*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby MaDuce » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Everyone keeps telling me how excellent this show is. I've finally broken down with your post and requested the first three seasons from my library.
"Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken
MaDuce
Satrap

Postby NickDupree » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Nick

"Unhappy events abroad have retaught us two simple truths about the liberty of a democratic people. The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any other controlling private power." – President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Simple Truths message to Congress (April 29, 1938)
NickDupree
Resident Medicaid Wonk

Postby StCapps » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:23 pm

MaDuce wrote:Everyone keeps telling me how excellent this show is. I've finally broken down with your post and requested the first three seasons from my library.
I heard the proverbial "everyone" say the same thing. I thought it was all hype, I was wrong.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby StCapps » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:26 pm

NickDupree wrote:Image
Correction: That's a Pontiac Aztec with an often broken windshield. :snicker:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Zombees » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Watched the scene you posted and went to check it out on Netflix.

4 episodes in so far.

Damnit Caps I have essays to write! You can't distract me with this crap! :goteam:
Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.
Zombees
Contributing Member

Postby StCapps » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:43 am

Zombees wrote:Watched the scene you posted and went to check it out on Netflix.

4 episodes in so far.

Damnit Caps I have essays to write! You can't distract me with this crap! :goteam:
The "bad" news is that it only gets more distracting as the series goes along. Serious will power is going to be needed on your part if you continue watching. Godspeed sir.

Avoid searching through the suggested videos after this one in order to avoid any unintentional spoilers.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Zombees » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:32 am

Finished Season 4 a few days ago.

46 episodes blown through in less then 26 days,on top of finishing all assignments and essays. I'm a freaking champ. :goteam:

Holy shit this show is great, when does Season 5 begin?
Zombees
Contributing Member

Postby StCapps » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:21 am

Zombees wrote:Holy shit this show is great, when does Season 5 begin?
Sometime early next summer for the final 16 episodes. The wait is already unbearable.
Like I said best show on TV is hardly an understatement and I'm already in withdrawal. :snicker:

If Gus isn't the greatest TV villain of all time someone please tell me who is. (and don't say Benjamin Linus because I've seen Lost and he's no Gus)
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby MaDuce » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:43 am

I'm up to season 2 with Dad. Fantastic stuff.

Does the show maintain this level of quality throughout? The premise seems like it's not something that can go on for more than 4 or so seasons.

I'm a big fan of Dexter, but it's becoming a little underwhelming and it needs to wrap itself up before things really start to decline. I hope Breaking Bad doesn't share the same fate.
"Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken
MaDuce
Satrap

Postby Hastur » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 am

It just gets better. They've already stated that next season will be the last one so we have 16 more episodes to look forward to.
For anyone who follows this show I have to recommend their podcast.
http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/insider-podcast-season-4/
It's made by the team behind the show and gives a lot of extra information. Don't listen to any of the podcast before you see the episodes though. Huge spoiler alert.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. - Vecna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck
Hastur
Nomarch

Postby StCapps » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:10 am

MaDuce wrote:I'm up to season 2 with Dad. Fantastic stuff.

Does the show maintain this level of quality throughout? The premise seems like it's not something that can go on for more than 4 or so seasons.

I'm a big fan of Dexter, but it's becoming a little underwhelming and it needs to wrap itself up before things really start to decline. I hope Breaking Bad doesn't share the same fate.
Every season thus far has been better than the last. If you think Season 2 is awesome your mind will be blown by the end of the fourth. This is one show where I have zero worrries whatsoever that the series will go on too long, Vince Gilligan and company know what they are doing. I don't know how the fifth season could possibly be better than the fourth but I said that going into the fourth season about the third season. I thought the "it just keeps getting better as it goes on" comments were slightly exaggerated but it turns out it's actually quite the understatement. So enjoy the remainder of the series because it really is only going to get better.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Zombees » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am

MaDuce wrote:I'm up to season 2 with Dad. Fantastic stuff.

I was blown away at how the show continues to get better and better as time goes on.

That and how Skyler continues to become and bigger and bigger cunt.
God damn, that's how you know the show is good. I legitimately hate a fictional character.
Zombees
Contributing Member

Postby General Buttnekked » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:47 am

I'm going to give my honest feedback and I don't mean to offend anyone or dismiss the OP's endorsement...

I really enjoyed the first season and the internal conflict Walt and Jesse had to process through....by the end of season 2, I got really lost and felt their story-telling just gave up and started grabbing for low-hanging fruit to keep the gravy train rolling.

The Mexican twins, the mercenaries, the cartoon villians and cops, the ridiculous over-the-top "drama" that is every scene like it was a Reality TV show......all the while being as subtle as a punch in the head.

Season 5, is just a joke (imo). I think AMC is capable and shown the balls to launch good series, but once they get a hit (BB, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, etc) they are more than willing to rest on their laurels to the sacrifice of an actual story.

The show really had the ability to become an interwoven and deep reflection like "The Wire" was, but it fell victim to success. The problem with telling a story is that it must have a beginning and an end (here is where we're gonna start and here is where we're gonna stop), regardless if there is a conclusion or not. Profit-centered-interest television is like listening to a 6 year old explain what happened

"There was this guy.....
and then....
and then....
and then....
and then....
and then...."

and it continues like that, throwing in whatever it can to keep your attention, whether or not if makes sense or completes the story.
General Buttnekked
Nomarch

Next

Return to Media Suggestions