Hi everybody

New here? Just want to let everyone know a little about yourself? Here is a nice place to start.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Hi everybody

Postby Aviator Andrew » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 am

My name is Andrew Gribbons, and I found your show a while ago on iTunes and I've been hooked ever since. One of the things I look forward to in my day is to wake up and take a nice jog while listening to "Common Sense."

The past couple of years I've found myself pretty confused on where I am on the political spectrum. I grew up in a very Christian family (non-denominational) but I was still allowed to think anyway I please. They gave me my Republican mindset, and morals, but where I'm different lies in my yearn to have a complete understanding from both sides. Dems and Reps. I agree with issues on both sides, but I still consider myself a moderate Republican. Which I found weird because not many people thought the way I did. Everyone was either a staunch liberal or conservative...then I found Dan Carlin. And I no longer feel misguided. It is great to know that there is actually someone out there who learns from history and applies it to modern day problems, and at the same time is non-partisan about it. We need more people like you, Dan. (Maybe with less cooky-ness, but hey! It makes you you. :wink: )

So thank you Dan, and I'm looking forward to participating on these boards and listening to your wisdom/tangents. And also, I'll be telling others about the show, and once I get enough money I'm buying your archive of past shows. Keep it up, Dan!
"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." -Emerson
Aviator Andrew

Postby XRe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:24 am

Welcome, Andrew!!! The past shows are highly recommended - lots of good stuff there!!

Dave
Dave Re
"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives." Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"...we are breaking through all those sacred maxims of our forefathers, and giving alarm to every wise man on the continent of America, that all his rights depend on the will of men whose corruptions are notorious, who regard him as an enemy, and who have no interest in his prosperity." - George Johnstone, addressing the British House of Commons, October 26, 1775 (sound familiar?)
XRe
Early Adapter

Postby Loki » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:07 pm

I’m know where you are coming form Andrew but my parents were hard Left and so of course I went hard Right. I have come to the realization (not to contradict you Andrew) that a lot of people are here in the common sense zone that we are now in. If only we could harness the power of the electorate that feels the same way we do with a candidate that has Dan's clarity, Hint Hint......
1984 was not intended to be an instructional manual...
Loki
Nomarch

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Welcome aboard Andrew...glad to have you!

The issue you and BrianMC are talking about is actually THE premise we base this show's success (or failure...) on.

I KNOW that what we do appeals to a percentage of people (I have no idea what this percentage number is though). The idea is to get everyone who WOULD like this show, to become aware of its existence. With the number of people online, even a small percentage would mean a lot of people.

Now, I've been doing (essentially) this same show since 1994. Back then, there was MUCH LESS interest in "independentism" than there is now. So many Gen Xers and younger have grown up since then and simply do not buy into the parties the way our parent's generation did.

But the media has not caught up with this. It's all "Left vs Right", everywhere you look. You would think some enterprising media mogul would try something different, to shake things up.

But no, it is left to the Internet to fill the market need (and thank goodness actually...it means we can do it the RIGHT way, and not the way some TV/Radio executive THINKS it should be done).

So, to get back to the point, I'm hoping BrianMC, that you are right. This show is built for that "common sense crowd" and if they are out there in the numbers you and I think they are, then we should do just fine.

I have a lot of help, after all. You guys have been fantastic backers...

Thanks again...
Dan
Master of Ceremonies

Postby XRe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:14 pm

Dan wrote:Gen Xers

I take exception! This should be "Gen-XRes" :D
Dave Re
"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives." Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"...we are breaking through all those sacred maxims of our forefathers, and giving alarm to every wise man on the continent of America, that all his rights depend on the will of men whose corruptions are notorious, who regard him as an enemy, and who have no interest in his prosperity." - George Johnstone, addressing the British House of Commons, October 26, 1775 (sound familiar?)
XRe
Early Adapter

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:10 pm

I think many of us went through the same realization you did. It's too bad we get indoctrinated by school, media, and church as to how to think. The Internet has done a great thing to expose people to all kinds of philosophy. And Dan's show is a good way to ease into critical thinking.

Welcome to the board, Andrew!
Brian
Early Adapter

Return to Introduce Yourself