* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:19 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Protest Party
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:43 am 

As Dan has pointed out (including in his interviews with Jill Stein and others), the third-parties all have divisive platforms which cause the anti-corruption message to get lost amid all the competing agendas.

An idea for before 2016:
What if we started a party called the Protest Party designed specifically to be a depository for the votes of all those people who can't stomach the two major parties but don't see the point of voting for a third, or who just want to get across the message that their issues aren't being represented by either party. It would not have the intention of getting anyone elected, but, rather, simply telling the major parties that something is fundamentally wrong. Also, maybe it could get one specific grievance or demand into the national discourse.

I imagine the Protest Party's "issue" could be anti-corruption, but their specific demand could be argued over during primary season. Another good option would be to reform the voting structure, which I like because there is parsimony to the idea of using your vote to protest the way votes are counted.

The key is that the Protest Party would be interesting enough and have simple enough demands to get traction in the media. It would be difficult for the major parties to ignore if there was 5% of the vote just sitting there for the taking if only they put "voting reform" (or whatever) on their agenda.

Depending on what the issue is, we could make Dan the Protest Party candidate. That might get him some MSM access, too.

Apologies if this idea has already been floated. I have been away from the DC forums for a while, but I didn't see it after a quick search.

Post subject: Re: Protest Party
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:53 pm 
Contributing Member

I think this is an excellent idea! We need to champion a special interest like corruption and work on that. BUMP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:31 am 

I'm moving forward with starting the Protest Party in Ohio. The Ballot-Access laws here have recently been blocked so we might be able to get on the 2014 ballot without much effort. If we get 3% we are automatically put on the 2016 Presidential ballot.

If you are in North East Ohio, please join my new Meetup group to organize the party. http://www.meetup.com/Protest-Party-Northeast-Ohio/

(Here's a link to the blog where I discuss the Protest Party.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm 

I've set up a website to try to get the word out about the nascent Protest Party: TheProtestParty.com. It hasn't gotten much attention yet but was plugged on the Best of the Left podcast yesterday.