Debates

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Debates

Postby Aviator Andrew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm not sure if this has been talked about already, if it has please link me. But it occured to me earlier that debate topics are supposed to revolve around policies that actually matter to the federal government as opposed to those that interfere with individual lives. I'm just wondering why, in recent times, have moral issues such as gay marriage, abortion (I know you hate that topic, Dan) etc. have taken the stage at debates instead of actual political issues? It just bothers me to see them argue about things that shouldn't bother them and that the government has no business getting involved in. Why can't they start talking about real politics, like the economy, war, civil liberties?
"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." -Emerson
Aviator Andrew

Postby mojo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:12 am

Why can't they start talking about real politics, like the economy, war, civil liberties?

Because neither party really has any solutions or stances that are in line with the majority of electorate and if they actually openly discussed them they would alienate the "swing voters" (if they haven't already). Fringe issues play to the base of both part parties and are much easier to rally blind support for.
There is no way in which a country can satisfy the craving for absolute security, but it can bankrupt itself morally and economically in attempting to reach that illusory goal through arms alone." -- Dwight David Eisenhower
mojo
Early Adapter

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas