* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Racism - A Booming Business
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:29 am 
Nomarch

I hate racism, most people do. Then why is it the fastest growing business in America today?

Nearly 50 years after the race riots of the 60's some say we've made great advancements in the race department. No more separate drinking fountains for "white" and "colored", no more riding in the "back of the bus", Rosa Parks took care of that. But you can't go a single day in America without the race issue being raised at least a dozen times, and its frequency is increasing.

Why? Because racism is big business and like most issues facing this country you simply have to follow the money. From the President, to Congress, to the media, to nearly any entity you can imagine, all are working overtime to ensure the race issue is constantly in play. It pays the bills.

Have a newspaper with falling subscriptions? Just write a few race baiting op-eds. Your TV show ratings in the dumpster? Just stoke the flames by bringing up race every 20 minutes. Need more political support for your cause de jeur? Yep, you guessed it. And it's all big business designed to keep the money flowing in.

There is hardly an issue facing the country today where race will not be raised at some point during the discussion. Immigration, military, housing, health care, you name it. Progress never gets made because we can't focus on the facts, we get mired down in name calling and race baiting.

So in many ways the race issue is much worse than in the 60's because so many entities derive their power from fanning the flames of hate. It's a self perpetuating machine that is nearly impossible to overcome.

Just wondering if Dan would like to take a crack at this one?

Post subject: Re: Racism - A Booming Business
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:09 am 
Archon

So says the man with Captain in his avatar. :goteam:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:15 am 
Hetairoi

The easiest way to divide people is to pit them against one another. Race and abortion are 2 of the best for this purpose.
-American Political Playbook, Ch3 S1.
:shakinghead:

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:37 am 
Contributing Member

Quasigriz wrote:
The easiest way to divide people is to pit them against one another. Race and abortion are 2 of the best for this purpose.
-American Political Playbook, Ch3 S1.
:shakinghead:

Both based on assessing worth on a group identity, rather than the individual. Blacks vs. Whites. Religious vs. Non (or ultra-religious vs. moderate-religious).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 pm 
Nomarch

Still on the shroons eh Doc?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 pm 
Satrap

Take a crack at it how exactly?
People are talking about race and they get a lot of attention....
I'm not sure where you expect Dan to go with that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:34 pm 
Nomarch

When you hear any discussion of race on TV or the radio it immediately get's bogged down in minutia or name calling before any serious issues can come to the surface. There's never any serious discussion whatsoever. Those in the print media carry on their own one-sided conversations with bomb throwing op-eds.

Europe still has a caste system and it's created a ton of problems for those countries. Many leaders in this country are working very hard to create similar divisions and they have no shortage of followers. We're in a process of de-evolution and the long term consequences are pretty bleak.

Dan just might have an interest in that subject.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 am 
Satrap

hondo69 wrote:
When you hear any discussion of race on TV or the radio it immediately get's bogged down in minutia or name calling before any serious issues can come to the surface. There's never any serious discussion whatsoever. Those in the print media carry on their own one-sided conversations with bomb throwing op-eds.

What kind of serious discussion would you like to hear?

hondo69 wrote:
Europe still has a caste system and it's created a ton of problems for those countries. Many leaders in this country are working very hard to create similar divisions and they have no shortage of followers. We're in a process of de-evolution and the long term consequences are pretty bleak.

Dan just might have an interest in that subject.

De-evolution? How do you mean that? What kind of divisions are leaders trying hard to create?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:49 am 
Nomarch

Sorry - I assume you mean that class is a problem in Europe, not caste. Unless you have Europe confused with India? Which would be pretty difficult... and even class is no longer really an issue, apart from among groups who want to call criminality and rioting a 'political statement'. Which is good, because few political statements end with you getting a free TV...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:03 pm 
Hetairoi

Location: I am from TX, I love TX, I hate TX, and if I am buried anywhere but TX my grave will become TX.
Hondo, what are you on about?

“Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known.”

~Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:43 am 
Hetairoi

The race card is a reasonable conversation ender. Yes, there are still issues. No, it isn't as bad as the 50s or earlier. Do we need discussions? Yes. However, the clip-media fans the flames of "racism" every chance they get and stifles the public's ability to rationally discuss the issues. Even here folks whip "racist!" around like chasing a fly in a gymnasium.

American politicians specialize in division, unfortunately. The real problem is that NO politician cares for any part of society for any reason other than votes. After they've feigned enough interest in social and economic groups to get voted into office, they cater to their real interest: the folks with big, loose money.

Republicans and Democrats don't care about you, or any one else's race. They care about dollars first, and votes second. Throwing around race can score votes, on both sides.

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:07 pm 
Nomarch

+1 for Quasigriz

Which leads me to my new idea of announcing that October will now be national White History Month. Just think, we could have reenactments of great white battles along with a background of white music playing, and at the end even crown miss White America. Oh the pride of it all. Us poor white people don't have much of a voice anymore and if we could just get a little attention we could surely rise up a rung or two, right?

We need to hop on this popular trend of segregating everyone into their own "groups". To heck with this notion we're all Americans and nothing had ever made this country better than being the great melting pot of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:15 pm 
Satrap

hondo69 wrote:
+1 for Quasigriz

Which leads me to my new idea of announcing that October will now be national White History Month. Just think, we could have reenactments of great white battles along with a background of white music playing, and at the end even crown miss White America. Oh the pride of it all. Us poor white people don't have much of a voice anymore and if we could just get a little attention we could surely rise up a rung or two, right?

We need to hop on this popular trend of segregating everyone into their own "groups". To heck with this notion we're all Americans and nothing had ever made this country better than being the great melting pot of the world.

It doesn't seem like you want to have a serious discussion at all from the looks of this. I have no idea what you are going on about. Is the problem that you don't like folks taking pride in their unique identity? You're right White History month would be silly... Maybe English history month or Scottish history month or German history month might make more sense. Would that offend you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm 
Contributing Member

hondo69 wrote:
I hate racism, most people do. Then why is it the fastest growing business in America today?

Nearly 50 years after the race riots of the 60's some say we've made great advancements in the race department. No more separate drinking fountains for "white" and "colored", no more riding in the "back of the bus", Rosa Parks took care of that. But you can't go a single day in America without the race issue being raised at least a dozen times, and its frequency is increasing.

Why? Because racism is big business and like most issues facing this country you simply have to follow the money. From the President, to Congress, to the media, to nearly any entity you can imagine, all are working overtime to ensure the race issue is constantly in play. It pays the bills.

Have a newspaper with falling subscriptions? Just write a few race baiting op-eds. Your TV show ratings in the dumpster? Just stoke the flames by bringing up race every 20 minutes. Need more political support for your cause de jeur? Yep, you guessed it. And it's all big business designed to keep the money flowing in.

There is hardly an issue facing the country today where race will not be raised at some point during the discussion. Immigration, military, housing, health care, you name it. Progress never gets made because we can't focus on the facts, we get mired down in name calling and race baiting.

So in many ways the race issue is much worse than in the 60's because so many entities derive their power from fanning the flames of hate. It's a self perpetuating machine that is nearly impossible to overcome.

Just wondering if Dan would like to take a crack at this one?

Agreed. Racism is big business for corrupt politicians and their political cronies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:17 am 
Nomarch

DrYouth wrote:
I have no idea what you are going on about.

I was being facetious to make a point.