Racism - A Booming Business

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Racism - A Booming Business

Postby MisterNichols » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:29 am

I'm not sure why people are still worried about racism. Why can't you just let people hate?

At least as many negative consequences arise from politically correct attempts to curb racism in our language and our public lives as from racism itself. I would rather have racism unmasked than have it dance around in politically-minded coded language.

The very idea of ending racism is a relic of the baby boomers from their 60s anti-establishment action and their 90s establishment action. It was never that sincere anyway.

So let people act racist if they want to. Let businesses and institutions discriminate however they see fit.

I'm just tired of all the politically correct bullshit.
Sincerely,

Mister Nichols
MisterNichols

Postby DrYouth » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:46 pm

hondo69 wrote:
DrYouth wrote: I have no idea what you are going on about.

I was being facetious to make a point.

I'm trying to figure this out... what is your point is exactly? Try making it without being facetious. It may help with the clarity part.
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"If throwing the mentally challenged off bridges were legal under the Death with Dignity Act, there's enough retards on this thread alone to shut down shipping on the Columbia River." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
DrYouth
Hetairoi

Postby hondo69 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:57 am

The very people who claim to be victims of racism are themselves the primary promoters of racism.

When Bush tried to rein in Fannie Mae, twice, you had Maxine Waters crying racism. The head of Fannie Mae at the time was black and the agency was also in the process of giving away free houses to minorities. So no one wanted to get within a mile of reforming Fannie Mae for fear of being called racist. That turned out well.

During the massive layoffs that have occured over the past few years companies would shut down entire divisions in order to cut costs to the bone. Some employees cried discrimination and sued. Of course these companies made the case that the idea of discrimination is an individual one and has nothing to do with an entire division. But when push came to shove they caved in and paid the empoyees damages. No one wants that kind of plubicity. Lessons learned? Racism pays and pays big. Of course the other lesson learned is never hire minorities in the future.

Sheila Jackson Lee is a Congresswoman from Texas who has worked tirelessly to stop any kind of reform to the worst school district in the state. It's never performed very well but when all black school administrators were voted into office performance took a nose dive. When the state discovered these administrators were looting all the funds they stepped in to shut down the district and consolidate it with another. But hold on, Sheila cried racism so often and so loudly the state eventually backed off. Now those poor kids are doomed to suffer forever.

I've heard our President make comments that were undeniable racists but that doesn't mean he's a racist, at least in my mind. But god forbid I point out to someone his comments were racist, I'd be tarred and feathered and carried down main street on a rail.

I could list thousands of examples but the bottom line is this: racism has always existed and always will. But by this point in time you'd think it would only exist in this country within small isolated pockets. Not a chance. There's too much power and too much money to be gained by crying racism at every turn. It's a shakedown act of the lowest form. As a country we have neither the time or the money to be playing such silly games. It can only be stopped by calling out the con artists who perpetuate the game. It's time to call a spade a spade. And no, that's not a racist comment.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:36 am

Pull more youth into the military. Ensure that the barracks are equally filled with males and females, with a broad cross section of American demographics. Two generations after you start that program, racism will mostly be gone. Guaranteed. Whether most of want to admit it or not, military barracks were really a kind of poly relationship. We shared partners. It's just one big dramatic relationship with lots of sex, drinking, and partying. I can't think of a better way to shake the racism out of somebody than that.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Quasigriz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Pull more youth into the military. Ensure that the barracks are equally filled with males and females, with a broad cross section of American demographics. Two generations after you start that program, racism will mostly be gone. Guaranteed. Whether most of want to admit it or not, military barracks were really a kind of poly relationship. We shared partners. It's just one big dramatic relationship with lots of sex, drinking, and partying. I can't think of a better way to shake the racism out of somebody than that.

^this

Not to mention their kids all going to DoDDS school together, like me. The military is a melting pot. When everyone has something in common (and everyone has a mutual employer), its easier to get along.
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby DrYouth » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 pm

@Hondo
Crying racism can certainly be a powerful move.
It can force others to give ground for fear of being perceived as racist.
Those crying racism can see this as an opportunity to paint their opponent as a villain and themselves as innocent of responsibility.

We saw this not long ago on the DC forum - a convenient metaphor.

In our example, here in the forum, it was clear that those being called for racism may indeed have demonstrated some degree of prejudice (my opinion only) - however the individual crying racism clearly saw himself as justified to use abusive tactics, with the expressed rational that because the power structure favored whites, people of colour could never be accused of racism.

Skengman's behaviour was frequently abusive and, I would say, unjustifiable even though his adversaries, were not completely in the clear, and stepped over the line more than once.

The reality is that there is rarely such a thing as the complete villain / victim dialectic. However - those in power do have somewhat more responsibility based on their advantage. Throwing in the towel just because someone calls racism is almost as cowardly as never allowing anyone to claim that there might just be racism. Both parties should be looked at carefully to judge relative responsibility.
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"If throwing the mentally challenged off bridges were legal under the Death with Dignity Act, there's enough retards on this thread alone to shut down shipping on the Columbia River." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
DrYouth
Hetairoi

Postby Runicmadhamster » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 am

MisterNichols wrote:I'm not sure why people are still worried about racism. Why can't you just let people hate?

At least as many negative consequences arise from politically correct attempts to curb racism in our language and our public lives as from racism itself. I would rather have racism unmasked than have it dance around in politically-minded coded language.

The very idea of ending racism is a relic of the baby boomers from their 60s anti-establishment action and their 90s establishment action. It was never that sincere anyway.

So let people act racist if they want to. Let businesses and institutions discriminate however they see fit.

I'm just tired of all the politically correct bullshit.

You know that by not repressing it and allowing it to grow openly you are just encouraging a return of groups like the KKK, or the white citizen council.

If the Media and society does not do enough to curb racism then people may begin to think that it is acceptable and OK, and practice it more often.
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby MisterNichols » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:21 am

Runicmadhamster wrote:You know that by not repressing it and allowing it to grow openly you are just encouraging a return of groups like the KKK, or the white citizen council.

If the Media and society does not do enough to curb racism then people may begin to think that it is acceptable and OK, and practice it more often.

Your theory has a whiff of plausibility, but repressing racism does not make it go away.

Much like prohibition of alcohol in early 20th century America, or drug prohibition of all sorts all over the world, the prohibition of open racism results in obvious racism being driven underground. So racism isn't curbed, it's just mostly driven out of polite public discussion. Moreover, people still act and talk racist in coded ways in the public sphere.

And why not let people be openly racist? Are you afraid that racism could outcompete more multiethnic attitudes about life and society?

If you want a tolerant society, I think that you should tolerate some amount of racism, sexism, and class conflict. A society should balance these aspects of humanity against other concerns, but pushing these parts of ourselves underground is ultimately unhealthy.

If a diverse society is a stronger society, diversity should be able to prove it by outcompeting racism.
Sincerely,

Mister Nichols
MisterNichols

Postby Runicmadhamster » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:00 pm

MisterNichols wrote:
And why not let people be openly racist? Are you afraid that racism could outcompete more multiethnic attitudes about life and society?

I understand where you are coming from, i really do but to answer your above question yes i am afraid that by allowing racism to exist openly it may overwhelm a more tolerant attitude, i say this because there are alot of people in my generation that, if racism was not repressed, would rapidly become more openly racist, and thus overwhelm a more tolerant attuide.
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:03 pm

I love how the fallacy of moral relativism makes these awesome contradictions and hilarious scenarios. "Well.. if you are going to be truly tolerant and multicultural, then you have to accept racism, else you are intolerant of people and their beliefs." Perfection.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Runicmadhamster » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:16 pm

I can also see where people who make those claims are coming from
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Runicmadhamster wrote:I can also see where people who make those claims are coming from

Do you mean people who make claims in support of moral relativism, or people who demolish moral relativism by pointing out the contradictions and absurdities?
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Semi-related aside:

Dont you love when your uncle (or whoever) starts going on about the "PC police" and "those bleeding hearts"? Its almost immediately followed by some racist shit.

"Why arent I allowed to tell darkie jokes at work anymore?! Whats this country come to?"

My rule of thumb: If "the PC thing" to say/do could just as well be referred to as the "polite" thing to do. Do that.
Oh, the humanity...
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Or in public.. they always start by lamenting political correctness. Then they quickly glance around the room. This is when I know it's coming. Not again. Yes, again. When they are certain everybody is of their target audience, it goes down as: "You know I am not racist or anything, but..".

So when people start going off bitching about political correctness like that, and I am somewhat convinced they are pretty far out there on the right wingnut spectrum, I try to say something sardonic and cruel about racists right away. That hopefully preempts the second stage of the bomb, and further discourages future attempts to establish racist creds and know nothing code words.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Runicmadhamster » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:39 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I love how the fallacy of moral relativism makes these awesome contradictions and hilarious scenarios. "Well.. if you are going to be truly tolerant and multicultural, then you have to accept racism, else you are intolerant of people and their beliefs." Perfection...................Do you mean people who make claims in support of moral relativism, or people who demolish moral relativism by pointing out the contradictions and absurdities?

I understand where people who say that a tolerant society must be tolerant of everything are coming from, if you wish to be a wholly tolerant society then you don't want to compromise that idea due to being intolerant of a group in society, even one as disgusting as the racists
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

PreviousNext

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas