* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:33 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Racism - A Booming Business
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:58 am 
Archon

It doesn't take much to pull you guys out and admit to it, does it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:03 am 

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
It doesn't take much to pull you guys out and admit to it, does it.

I haven't the slightest clue as to what you are implying.

Mister Nichols

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 pm 
Hetairoi

MisterNichols wrote:
Yes I think we should allow more open discrimination.

I think that we should do this because open discrimination is easier to confront and deal with than discrimination that is dressed up in diversity and inclusion.

I know I'm pushing the envelope here, but if I own a business, why shouldn't I be able to deny an entire class of people employment if that's how I feel?

And so what if that locks an entire group of people out of the job market? That diverted stream of labor will either create their own sub-economy, or, failing that, we will find out where the real discrimination is in society, and then we can take collective action to remedy it.

Why would any of you be afraid of open discrimination?

Your premise is self contradictory because you are saying we should allow open discrimination so that we can more easily confront it.
If we allow it we are saying we are not going to confront it.
The problem with discrimination is because it tends to be universally applied by a priviledged group against a less privileged group.
You are saying... "What's wrong with exploiting privilege"...
Nothing if you are the privileged group - plenty if you are not.

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:37 am 

DrYouth wrote:
Your premise is self contradictory because you are saying we should allow open discrimination so that we can more easily confront it.
If we allow it we are saying we are not going to confront it.
The problem with discrimination is because it tends to be universally applied by a priviledged group against a less privileged group.
You are saying... "What's wrong with exploiting privilege"...
Nothing if you are the privileged group - plenty if you are not.

First I'll admit that I think that people should be able to get more out of their privilege than they do now.

However, I don't find my position to be contradictory.

Allow me to explain.

In the united states, before the civil rights movement, segregation forced black people into their own distinct communities. In this environment of naked discrimination, the black professional middle class was forced to live in these neighborhoods, so many blacks had access to dentists, doctors, and lawyers.

Since the civil rights movement, the black middle class is no longer forced to go to black colleges or to live in black neighborhoods, and on some level that's fine, because it means greater opportunity for those people. However, quality of life in black neighborhoods has declined significantly because of this brain drain. Moreover, poor black youth have no doctors or lawyers to look up to in their neighborhoods as role models; instead they look up to basketball players and drug dealers.

Now, what has happened is not the elimination of discrimination, but its bifurcation. Those people able to leave the hood or the barrio are mostly freed from abuse, while their less educated brethren spend their lives in poor neighborhoods working low wage jobs with little prospect of advancement in life.

I personally think that our politically correct attitudes make discrimination fuzzy enough that it is hard to organize against. This is illustrated in how hard it was for Obama supporters to effectively counter borderline racist rhetoric from opponents during the 2008 election.

I think that if we "unfuzz" discrimination and allow people to be more blatant about how they discriminate against people, then the fault lines of discrimination will become more obvious, and people will be better able to know which side they are on.

Mister Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:49 pm 
Nomarch

They always say to help the most vulnerable among us, so I'll spell it out for those of you educated in California.

He's saying to use the Norman Lear approach as with Archie Bunker. Display bigotry upfront and in your face for all to see, discuss and try to defend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:39 pm 
Nomarch

Actually I see racism every time I watch the news. It's just not in the traditional way people think of it at all. What I see on the news eminates from minorities.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 pm 
Contributing Member

Given that Dan frequently discusses how distraction is used to keep the American public from dealing with real issues, I would like to see Dan do a show on the misuse (and overuse) of the race card. One notable segway into the topic would be judging Obama's potential for re-election in 2012, a topic on which Dan seems to touch every 2-3 episodes. He mentions the disillusionment of Hope-and-Change voters, which is certainly a factor, and he mentions the weak competition from the Republican side, which is also a factor... but when the prior election was consistently referred to as "historic", obviously race was a factor in 2008. Is there any reason to think it won't be a factor in 2012? And if it is a factor, what does it say about the voters, the media, and our elected officials when a candidate's race is given so much attention, when there are far more important issues facing our country?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 am 
Nomarch

Wouldn't it be interesting to see Herman Cain vs The Pres in the next election? I mean, just to watch the media, Maxine Waters and all the others that throw out the race card every 3 seconds suddenly have to perform incredible verbal gymnastics to twist everything Cain says into racist comments. Which, of course, would lead the other side to respond with allegations of racism back. Talk about spiraling out of control!

Makes me chuckle to think about it.