Congress - Tell Me Why

Got a show idea? Post them here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Congress - Tell Me Why

Postby godslabrat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Here's an idea to make politicians a bit more accountable... I almost put this in the "Do Something" forum, but at this point it's still more of an intellectual exercise than something for which I'm actively suggesting.

We all seem to want increased accountability and transparency in our government. Politicians actually say they want the same thing, though their follow-through makes this debatable at best. :roll: On the show, we frequently hear about ways in which the Internet and new media can be used to hold politicians to a standard that was previously unrealistic. Given that, I'd like to make the following suggestion, which I admit may be stupid in it's simplicity:

1) Every member of congress should have a website. Most, if not all, of them do, so this is a nonissue.

2) The website should list every bill that has been presented to them for a vote. It should list what their vote was, and a statement by them justifying their vote (Minimum of 10 words, no maximum)

We send these people into office to vote on issues, and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to make them account for their reasoning behind each vote. This includes votes of "PRESENT" or "ABSENT". Just like I would want to know their logic behind voting YES or NO on an issue, I'd also like them to have to answer "Why weren't you in congress doing your job when this vote was called?" and "Why are we paying you crazy amounts of money when you can't even take a stand on an issue?" I wouldn't even mind if someone used the opportunity to grandstand on an issue-- at least it would be an answer.

Now, the realist in me understands that because this idea would cost the government essentially nothing, and would give the voters a lot more information and reduce our congress's ability to be creative about their collective track records, I've already answered my own question about why this will never be done. However, that aside, is there any reason to think it wouldn't be a good idea?
godslabrat
Contributing Member

Re: Congress - Tell Me Why

Postby Okeefenokee » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:46 am

start it at the local level. get mayors and city counselors to connect with the people that live in their community in this way and work it up to the state level and then federal.
Everyone is king when there's no one left to pawn.
Okeefenokee
Nomarch

Re: Congress - Tell Me Why

Postby hondo69 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:54 pm

It would be something like an online version of town hall meetings, and those haven't gone well at all for them lately. Besides, it would lead to more transparency, the #1 enemy of politians.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Return to New Common Sense Show Ideas