* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:49 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Author finds footage showing ’50s wife in LSD experiment
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:56 pm 
Nomarch

I doubt this qualifies as a "new discover[y] of historical significance" but what the hell.

Post subject: Re: Author finds footage showing ’50s wife in LSD experiment
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:41 pm 

Even though watching psychedelic trips unfold in a clinical setting always gives me the heebie jeebies- it just seems cruel to film someone while they're in that state- pre 1960's LSD research fascinates me. It's almost as if the researchers themselves don't have the slightest clue of the power of what they're working with. Not even the father of LSD himself, Albert Hoffmann, knew what the hell he had on his hands.

edit: And I just noticed that the end of the video contains an advert for a book about Timothy Leary. IMO, if Leary and company didn't marry LSD with the idea of "dropping out" and other nonsense that scared the piss out of older generations then who knows where we'd be today in terms of acceptance of psychedelic use.

Last edited by dopefiend on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm 
Archon

As far as old videos one could find their wife in . . . I suppose that's neither the best nor worst case scenario there.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 pm 
Archon

dopefiend wrote:
Even though watching psychedelic trips unfold in a clinical setting always gives me the heebie jeebies- it just seems cruel to film someone while they're in that state- pre 1960's LSD research fascinates me. It's almost as if the researchers themselves don't have the slightest clue of the power of what they're working with. Not even the father of LSD himself, Albert Hoffmann, knew what the hell he had on his hands.

It's ironic that the end of the video contains an advert for a book about Timothy Leary. IMO, if Leary and company didn't marry LSD with the idea of "dropping out" and other nonsense that scared the piss out of older generations then who knows where we'd be today in terms of acceptance of psychedelic use.

Albert Hoffmann knew exactly how important was his discovery. When he first manufactured the stuff, he took 250 micrograms to see what it would do. He essentially lived out the Divine Comedy experiencing a kind of death, a progression through visions of demons and spirits, a reconstruction and rebirth, and followed by some kind of apotheosis.

250 micrograms is no joke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm 

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
dopefiend wrote:

It's ironic that the end of the video contains an advert for a book about Timothy Leary. IMO, if Leary and company didn't marry LSD with the idea of "dropping out" and other nonsense that scared the piss out of older generations then who knows where we'd be today in terms of acceptance of psychedelic use.

Albert Hoffmann knew exactly how important was his discovery. When he first manufactured the stuff, he took 250 micrograms to see what it would do. He essentially lived out the Divine Comedy experiencing a kind of death, a progression through visions of demons and spirits, a reconstruction and rebirth, and followed by some kind of apotheosis.

well..... I guess Al did have it right.

It's too bad that LSD is officially extinct these days. That's just as well because I can't even handle mushrooms. I retreat into a state where only the Spanish language radio station can calm me down. (anything without lyrics)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm 
Archon

Is it extinct? I recall the government rounding up most of the major chemists about fifteen years ago. When I was in high school, it was extremely prevalent. But people could just as easily get psilocybin. Mescaline was around as well but I doubt most kids these days know what that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 pm 

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Is it extinct? I recall the government rounding up most of the major chemists about fifteen years ago. When I was in high school, it was extremely prevalent. But people could just as easily get psilocybin. Mescaline was around as well but I doubt most kids these days know what that is.

It's impossible to find. These two gentlemen were apparently the last major suppliers and once they were busted it was the beginning of the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:35 pm 
Nomarch

How much of a grasp of chemistry does one actually need to make good LSD?

*shifty eyes* :huh:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm 
Archon

Kiltman wrote:
How much of a grasp of chemistry does one actually need to make good LSD?

*shifty eyes* :huh:

This isn't a chemistry experiment. Just making LSD is one thing. Making viable LSD for human dosing is something else entirely. You generally need to be a rather well educated chemist with some kind of background in pharmacology. People who experiment with drugs like LSD are generally unwilling to take something more dubious. So if there is shit out there, they simply won't purchase it. That is the problem with the LSD market. The DEA shut down the major chemists in the U.S., like they did in the early seventies before this, and it dried up supply. People who would have purchased LSD will just get psilocybin instead. Some are getting into DMT which I think carries too much risk for people to take. There are other drug cocktails people are traveling abroad to experience like ayahuasca which is allegedly far, far stronger than even mescaline which is incredibly potent -- far more than LSD. There still is a very small group of people who formally experiment with these drugs. It is not so much recreation for them as exploration and true experimentation.

There is no way the government can outlaw every hallucinogen possible and nor should they attempt it. It has become ridiculous to clamp down on these more harmless drugs while meth and heroin are destroying working poor. But it's mostly middle class and affluent kids doing hallucinogens so they need to keep up appearances. It's a shame, really. And we pay for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 pm 
Nomarch

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
dopefiend wrote:

Apotheosis? Yeah, I've been there - or at least close to there. 7 hits on a bet when I was 19 back in 1998. I saw the whole karmic wheel of existence in a vision, worlds manifested and cannibalized, monstrous and sublime and infinite. I ended up naked and in the hospital, but damn, I wouldn't trade the experience for any amount of money.

So as long as there are a handful of americans allied with terrorist organizations we will continue this surveillance of all americans and these wartime authorities to detain enemy combatants indefinitely... or execute them summarily...

...Because terrorists might take their puny little militaries and conquer our country.

This is a war on fleas.

-DrYouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:22 pm 
Nomarch

Flynn wrote:
Apotheosis? Yeah, I've been there - or at least close to there. 7 hits on a bet when I was 19 back in 1998. I saw the whole karmic wheel of existence in a vision, worlds manifested and cannibalized, monstrous and sublime and infinite. I ended up naked and in the hospital, but damn, I wouldn't trade the experience for any amount of money.

My 15th birthday. 7 bucket hits of laced Skunk from PNG imported by my then-girlfriend's parents, and a quarter plate of mushrooms... I was out for 6-8 hours in a full sensory overload, completely separate from the outside world, was plagued by flashbacks for the following three years if I even got tipsy on beer, so it forced me to go completely cold turkey; scariest moment of my life, greatest moment of my life.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking. - John Maynard Keynes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:20 am 

Like this Benkei?

sister and companion of man-destroying Ares—
at first small in stature, she later grows enormous,
head reaching heaven, as she strides across the earth.
Strife went through crowds of soldiers, casting hatred
on both sides equally, multiplying human miseries.' - Homer, Iliad 4.440

'Don't get all :facepalm: with me,...' - Benkei

:shakinghead: I hate people. - Kath

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 am 
Nomarch

Chris73 wrote:
Like this Benkei?

Nah that was me the day before

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking. - John Maynard Keynes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:41 am 

Benkei wrote:
Nah that was me the day before

:lol:

sister and companion of man-destroying Ares—
at first small in stature, she later grows enormous,
head reaching heaven, as she strides across the earth.
Strife went through crowds of soldiers, casting hatred
on both sides equally, multiplying human miseries.' - Homer, Iliad 4.440

'Don't get all :facepalm: with me,...' - Benkei

:shakinghead: I hate people. - Kath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 am 

Seeing how the woman reacted at first, I could see how some people would want to try this drug. Who would not want to see nice colors floating all around? lol.