American plan to attack Britain, Canada in the 1930's

Discuss new discoveries of historical significance

Moderators: Loki, robroydude, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: American plan to attack Britain, Canada in the 1930's

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Here was the Canadian version:

Defence Scheme No. 1 was created on April 12, 1921 and details a surprise counterattack on the northern U.S. as soon as possible after evidence was received of an American invasion of Canada.

According to the plan, Canadian troops stationed in Pacific Command in Western Canada would immediately be sent to seize Seattle, Washington; Canadian Forces stationed in Prairie Command in Western Canada would be sent to attack Great Falls, Montana and then move to Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Canadian Forces stationed in Quebec Command would be sent to seize Albany, New York in a surprise counterattack while Canadian Forces in Maritime Command[clarification needed] would counterattack into Maine.[1] Meanwhile, according to the plan, the Canadian Forces Great Lakes Command in Ontario was assumed to be fighting on the defensive against the main attack from the Armed Forces of the USA; if Canadian forces were successful in defending in the Great Lakes area, they were encouraged to launch counterattacks in the area of the Niagara River and the St. Clair River.

When resistance stiffened, the Canadians would retreat to their own borders, destroying bridges and railways to hinder American pursuit.[1] The purpose of the invasion would be to allow time for Canada to prepare its war effort and to receive aid from Britain, or to limit the American invasion before the US government opted to discontinue the incursions. Defence Scheme No. 1 has a counterpart in the American War Plan Red, a plan to invade Canada drafted in 1930.
[edit]

This part is hilarious:

Lt. Colonel Brown himself did reconnaissance for the plan,[1] along with other lieutenant-colonels, all in plainclothes. These missions took place from 1921 and 1926. As historian Pierre Berton noted in his book Marching as to War, these investigations had "a zany flavour about it, reminiscent of the silent comedies of the day." To illustrate this, Berton quoted from Brown's reports, in which Brown recorded, among other things, that in Burlington, Vermont the people were "affable" and thus unusual for Americans; that Americans drink significantly less alcohol than Canadians (this was during Prohibition), and that upon pointing out that to Americans, one responded "My God! I'd go for a glass of beer. I'm going to 'Canady' to get some more"; that the people of Vermont would be serious soldiers only "if aroused"; and that many Americans might be sympathetic with the British cause.

But yeah.. these plans are dragged out of the closet whenever somebody wants to drum up more hatred of America. One need only browse down to the comments of the OP article to see the effect.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby DBTrek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Atanamis wrote:
StCapps wrote:I started a thread on War Plan Red a while back and the plan has been well known for a long time. This certainly doesn't qualify as a new discovery, the Daily Mail duped you DBTrek. :snicker:
Yeah, at the time I told you to ask DBTrek about how to start a good thread. Since he has focused on the same topic (months later), I guess we will see whether DBTrek can spin this topic any better. Unfortunately, he has failed to drag libertarianism or religion into it yet, so this thread might die out quickly as well...

Woteva.

My thread hit a page #2, which is more than StCapps managed.
I'm going to have to declare a Plan Red Victory on those grounds.

:twisted:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby StCapps » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Atanamis wrote:
StCapps wrote:I started a thread on War Plan Red a while back and the plan has been well known for a long time. This certainly doesn't qualify as a new discovery, the Daily Mail duped you DBTrek. :snicker:
Yeah, at the time I told you to ask DBTrek about how to start a good thread. Since he has focused on the same topic (months later), I guess we will see whether DBTrek can spin this topic any better. Unfortunately, he has failed to drag libertarianism or religion into it yet, so this thread might die out quickly as well...

Woteva.

My thread hit a page #2, which is more than StCapps managed.

:twisted:

Yes but the discussion in my thread is still of much higher quality.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby DBTrek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Your Canadian claim ain't worth the Queen Victoria Nickel it's printed on.
Look at the number of thread views, G.
I've done more in under a day than your thread has done in its lifetime.
Bow down to the America enterprise that can make success of Canadian thread failure.
:goteam:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby StCapps » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:34 pm

DBTrek wrote:Your Canadian claim ain't worth the Queen Victoria Nickel it's printed on.
Look at the number of thread views, G.
I've done more in under a day than your thread has done in its lifetime.
Bow down to the America enterprise that can make success of Canadian thread failure.
:goteam:
You just have a flashier thread title that is self explanatory. That doesn't mean there is more intelligent discussion going on, it means you are better at grabbing the forums attention with your thread titles than I. Congratulations on being better than me at grabbing people's attention, I hope it makes you proud of yourself.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Previous

Return to New Discoveries