Course of Empire question

Debate aspects of historical knowledge that are open to interpretation

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: Course of Empire question

Postby Waleis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Damn, those beavers sure are getting angry now that I'm gone...
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Smitty-48 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Waleis wrote:Damn, those beavers sure are getting angry now that I'm gone...

Their sexual abuse counseling is covered by our universal healthcare. Small mercies.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Postby Waleis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Their sexual abuse counseling is covered by our universal healthcare. Small mercies.

Angry beavers, sex, and Canada: All are intricately connected.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Witten » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 am

Waleis wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Their sexual abuse counseling is covered by our universal healthcare. Small mercies.

Angry beavers, sex, and Canada: All are intricately connected.

not the sex, Canada's the spinster of the international community.
Witten
Contributing Member

Postby StCapps » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:The Reagan administration pushed the Soviets to the brink, but Gorbachev decided to break up the Soviet Union, after a trip to Canada, seeing up close, the lifestyle of Canadians vs. Soviets. So Canada won the Cold War, after the US almost lost it.

Brock and Tecumseh, FTW! :goteam:
ImageImage
Whether it's winning the Cold War, Crushing Yankee invasions, Or taking Fort Detroit without firing a shot, We Canadians just run show.
:goteam: :drunk: :goteam:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby cegan244 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 pm

In no way do I consider myself a fan or adherent of the Tea-Party. Most of their positions are based upon either crippled logic or false information. However, the Tea-Party is not just a political entity but a reactionary force and answer to a serious problem: The unabated growth in size and authority of the federal government. This trend, I firmly believe, is what now endangers the American Republic more than ANY foreign threat. While I completely agree that there exists today major social problems that require federal attention -- healthcare is most prominent one -- I don't agree that the size of the federal bureaucracy needs to necessarily increase to the level being proposed. The size and the very nature of the "military-industrial complex" (coined by Eisenhower) needs to be radically reduced. I'm sure most Tea-Partiers would vehemently disagree with this and thus betray their movement's philosophical corruptness -- a key reason amongst others that they should not be a force to be threatened by -- but the military needs to be reigned in physically and, more importantly, in a policy oriented way, too. It was Otto von Bismark I believe who said something along the lines of any statesmen starting a war should have reasons that will be legitimate both before and especially after the conflict. Meaning war should rarely be embarked upon because it is so terribly expensive in economic and human terms. Our two current conflicts overseas probably fail Bismark's qualification.

Another worrisome characteristic of our Republic is the dichotomous relationship in elections and the legislative process between: the influence of Big Business donations and the public's apathy towards politics. The latter of the two enables the former to be such an effective means to win elections and influence proposed legislation. Not only does Big Business partially bankroll the campaigns of candidates but, once in office, representatives are called upon by lobbyists and legal teams representing these business to literally insert the desired text into legislation. But the truest detriment to elections and the legislative process is the absolute lack of REASONED, RESPECTFUL and INFORMED public discourse. I stress these adjectives because of their indispensability to a republic's health; if any one of them is missing then the discourse can have no positive effect. Of course most of the public can regurgitate a witty phrase or list of facts they either heard or read from the now dysfunctional Press Community, but this is dangerously insufficient. A healthy republic needs lively, routine and uncensored debate regarding any and all controversial topics of the day. If this culture is healthy then the electorate can reasonably compare their thoughtful positions with those of the potential candidates.

But the Republic will survive and I believe it will prosper as a new generation of determined and informed youth will take the reigns.
cegan244

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 pm

There is nothing new about the tea party. They are the latest iteration of Know Nothings. Back when we were kids, we had the Lee Atwater and his "forced bussing" crowd. It's all the same type of nonsense.
Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about. - G.K.C.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby miasma » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Wow, talk about emasculated. You guys put the bris, in Imperial Hubris. Get a pair. Borrow them from the Chinese if you have to.

I have personally been accused, by a cop in Windsor, of "disturbing the Queen's peace". I exercised my freedoms left and right, all over that dumb bitch.

Then I put on some cowboy boots and teabagged her.
"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but rather memory" -- Leonardo da Vinci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7yyP2StK0

the only good is virtue; no enemy can deprive me of virtue; ergo I fear no enemies
miasma
Contributing Member

Postby miasma » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:25 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:The Reagan administration pushed the Soviets to the brink, but Gorbachev decided to break up the Soviet Union, after a trip to Canada, seeing up close, the lifestyle of Canadians vs. Soviets. So Canada won the Cold War, after the US almost lost it.

Brock and Tecumseh, FTW! :goteam:
ImageImage
Whether it's winning the Cold War, Crushing Yankee invasions, Or taking Fort Detroit without firing a shot, We Canadians just run show.
:goteam: :drunk: :goteam:

I think... u mean the British run the show, or ran the show. Britain without the help of Canada is like the Beatles without the help of Ringo -- Canadians are out of beat with everybody, unable to get their voice heard, and made a mockery of themselves when they went solo.

If Canada had even .5 testicles per capita then you wouldn't have to show off a picture of an Englishman and a Shawnee when you are trumping up great "Canadians".

PS: The Canadian belief that they, alone among colonizers of this hemisphere, did not participate in the genocide of Native peoples is one of the most absurd efforts of revisionist history undertaken in the 20th Century. When I look across the Detroit river I don't see many wigwams or brown people, hmm.... what happened to them all? (BTW, if "Canadians" did such a good job defending Detroit from "imperial" America, how come my money doesn't have the Queen's face on it?)
"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but rather memory" -- Leonardo da Vinci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7yyP2StK0

the only good is virtue; no enemy can deprive me of virtue; ergo I fear no enemies
miasma
Contributing Member

Previous

Return to Historical Controversies