No Country for Old Men, and The Road

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

No Country for Old Men, and The Road

Postby Waleis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 pm

I just want to know if there are any Cormac McCarthy fans out there. I believe that he is the greatest living American author. Any thoughts on his books, style, or the movies based on his books?

I remember seeing this scene in the theater. A woman said, "Well that sucked." One or two people laughed. I saw an older man with a few tears on his face. Most people were dead silent. It was like we were all kicked in the stomach. It's a rare way for a movie to end.

This scene is the most disturbing in The Road. The Road doesn't describe a specific apocalypse. The specific apocalypse is unimportant. Few details are provided. Parallels between this story and others (i.e. The Decameron) are numerous. The situations provided here would've been experienced in past disasters.

"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Re: No Country for Old Men, and The Road

Postby drtrech » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Why would you use movie scenes when talking about an author's work?

"the Road" was bleak as hell as both book and movie.

"no country for old men" made me want to throw something through my tv. Never read the book.
You know what the sad thing is?

We spend 90% of our lives ducking shit storms, begging for money and whoring for votes.

And why do we put ourselves through all that? In order to hold onto jobs that are 90% ducking shit storms, begging for money, and whoring for votes.

--Senator Gil John Biggs (R-NC)
drtrech
Archon

Postby Waleis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 pm

drtrech wrote:Why would you use movie scenes when talking about an author's work?

"no country for old men" made me want to throw something through my tv. Never read the book.

Both movies were true to the books. No Country for Old Men left out some scenes with Moss and a younger woman, but aside from that, the movie stayed true to the book in a remarkable way. In any case, the movies and the books are all worth considring. They're all masterpieces.

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Runicmadhamster » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:45 pm

I have seen both of the movie versions of these books, i stopped watching the road because i felt really depressed watching it. As for No country for old men, i loved it, brilliant movie.
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby Waleis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Runicmadhamster wrote:I have seen both of the movie versions of these books, i stopped watching the road because i felt really depressed watching it.

The Road was actually one of McCarthy's more optimistic stories...

Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby adampjr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Waleis wrote:
drtrech wrote:Why would you use movie scenes when talking about an author's work?

Both movies were true to the books. No Country for Old Men left out some scenes with Moss and a younger woman, but aside from that, the movie stayed true to the book in a remarkable way. In any case, the movies and the books are all worth considring. They're all masterpieces.

While both movies were true to teh books, even if you hated No Country for Old Men the movie, it's still worth reading as a book. Cormac McCarthy is that good.
adampjr
Contributing Member

Postby Runicmadhamster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 am

Waleis wrote:
Runicmadhamster wrote:I have seen both of the movie versions of these books, i stopped watching the road because i felt really depressed watching it.

The Road was actually one of McCarthy's more optimistic stories...

It really didnt seem that way. Perhaps the book is better
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Postby drtrech » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:22 am

Don't get me wrong. "No country for old men" was an excellent movie. But that ending . . . :PrimalScream:

We spend 90% of our lives ducking shit storms, begging for money and whoring for votes.

And why do we put ourselves through all that? In order to hold onto jobs that are 90% ducking shit storms, begging for money, and whoring for votes.

drtrech
Archon

Postby Kiltman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 am

I've seen No Country for Old Men and The Road. I thoroughly enjoyed both films and I also enjoyed the book, The Road. The Road was released 2 December and I read the book late November. I have to say it was the best possible timing and worst possible timing. Best because that time of year the sky matches perfectly the book/movie and worst because it is pretty depressing. I suppose that's not a bad thing, after all one of my favorite quotes from any author is from Kafka who said.

Altogether, I think we ought to read only books that bite and sting us. If the book we are reading doesn't shake us awake like a blow to the skull, why bother reading it in the first place? So that it can make us happy, as you put it? Good God, we'd be just as happy if we had no books at all; books that make us happy we could, in a pinch, also write ourselves. What we need are books that hit us like a most painful misfortune, like the death of someone we loved more than we love ourselves, that make use feel as though we had been banished to the woods, far from any human presence, like suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is what I believe.

As for the style of The Road, I was pleasantly surprised. Usually I don't like non-standard format (stream of consciousness least of all) :althurl: :PrimalScream: but I enjoyed The Road. I also like how McCarthy doesn't waste time or energy making some sort of political statement in explaining the apocalypse. The story is about the Man and his Son, and that's all it needed to be.
Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy.
Kiltman
Nomarch

Postby Atanamis » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:13 am

Runicmadhamster wrote:It really didnt seem that way. Perhaps the book is better
The book is also very dark. I do think it is better than the movie, but the movie is very loyal to the book it is based on.
Atanamis
Hetairoi

Postby Fife » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:21 am

Atanamis wrote:
Runicmadhamster wrote:It really didnt seem that way. Perhaps the book is better
The book is also very dark. I do think it is better than the movie, but the movie is very loyal to the book it is based on.

Just my opinion, but I think The Road is one of the best "happy ending" books out there, and the movie is true to the tone the depth of the happiness that comes at the end. Its an old story but in the hands of Cormac, it becomes magic. Both ruthlessly secular but beautifully religious at the same time. The man is our past, the boy our future, and I'll leave it to each of us to figure out the redeemer(s) in the story. The bottom line is whatever you think the stability of your status quo is, you ain't sitting still.

A much lesser (but pretty damn good) work that comes to mind on the "happy ending" theme is the movie Children of Men. Anybody know that one? What good is a happy ending story for humans without some (really) pretty dark stuff leading up to it?

For anybody wanting to explore more Cormac McCarthy, go through Dan's Amazon search window to check out Blood Meridian, a MUCH darker story than The Road, but IMHO his best work. Listening to Dan's recent HH episodes about the Mongols, Goths, barbarians, Charlemagne, et al, reminds me of McCarthy's unrelenting take on how violent human life really (in a historical sense) is. There have been some runs at making a Blood Meridian movie, but nobody's carried through to date. If true to the book, it would make The Road look like something whipped up by Adam Sandler (no offense to Adam Sandler).
Thank you for visiting Fife. We welcome your comments and suggestions regarding our free public service. Have a nice day and please come again.
Fife
Hetairoi

Postby e_room_matt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 am

Loved No Country For Old Men. Anton Chigurr is one of my favorite on screen villians.

The ending did't bother me as much as everybody else that saw it. It wasn't an action movie, but a lot of people wanted it to be. I'd have been disappointed if it spoon fed me the answers and finished with a hokey happy ending.
e_room_matt
Satrap

Postby drtrech » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:43 am

I don't demand a happy ending. I just kind of like closure.

But I bought the movie AFTER I saw it, and I recommend it to those I think will like the style.

drtrech
Archon

Postby Fife » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 am

e_room_matt wrote:Loved No Country For Old Men. Anton Chigurr is one of my favorite on screen villians.

The ending did't bother me as much as everybody else that saw it. It wasn't an action movie, but a lot of people wanted it to be. I'd have been disappointed if it spoon fed me the answers and finished with a hokey happy ending.

Thank goodness the Coen bros made the movie. Maybe some people would have preferred seeing Bell and Chigurh shoot it out with AK-47s and rocket launchers, but that's what we have John Woo and JJ Abrams for.
Thank you for visiting Fife. We welcome your comments and suggestions regarding our free public service. Have a nice day and please come again.
Fife
Hetairoi

Postby e_room_matt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 am

drtrech wrote:I don't demand a happy ending. I just kind of like closure.

Most people do, and it didn't offer much in most people's opinion. The movie had closure for me, though. It wasn't what you wanted it to be, but that was the point. The kid bit off more than he could chew and Tommy Lee Jones wasn't the hero he needed to be anymore to save the day. It was kind of an Empire Strikes Back ending.
e_room_matt
Satrap

Next

Return to Off Topic Area