To Dan

Area to hash-out ideas for grassroots efforts to improve things.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: To Dan

Postby ceebee4 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:49 pm

FWIW, Dan, they're right about Cenk Uygur and his audience. I'm a long-time member of the Young Turks, recent listener to your show, and the overlap is striking. They've often talked about how the interests of the citizenry across the political spectrum are more aligned against the corrupt ruling political class than we are divided by ideology.

They've got a lot going on over there as their show has grown, so I couldn't vouch that they're in a position to coordinate. But it certainly would be worth a discussion. "The TYT Army" really is huge, eager to act, and devoted to Uygur. If he supported you, which I think he certainly would, you could reap the benefits of even more grass-roots action than you can muster with your own audience.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." --G.B. Shaw

"We're having a good time."
ceebee4

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I guess I'll add my support to the "Draft Dan" faction.

Come on man. You dont have to win the big ones. Be a state representative. I bet you could do it. Become "our man" on the inside of government. Report back to us what you see.

or you could just continue to live your life...But...come on!!!
Oh, the humanity...
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap

Postby StCapps » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I don't know if all of you all of you took actually think about this but Dan has a hard time getting content out on time now. What do you think would happen to the speed of podcast production if he ran for political office? Must us international listeners really have to eat that sacrifice just so you Americans can fix your country? You selfish bastards. :snicker: :wink:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

No man. It was only meant to get into the debate. All he needs to do is get in there and he can force democratic or republican candidates to adopt some of his positions by making a strong case to the public. Unless you can run part of Oregon from your basement medieval armory, I don't think it would work out for him.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby t-spoon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 pm

On the one hand, I really doubt Dan wants to get involved in something like this just as far as his personal life goes. I get that he wouldn't win an election, but I bet it'd still impose a fair bit of stress on him.

On the other hand, Dan is in kind of a unique position. He is recognizable enough that this kinda thing would attract at least some positive attention.
By the way, my name is Pep. It's not mister, junior, bub or Streebek. It's Pep. Friendships start with first names...Joe.
t-spoon
Contributing Member

Postby Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:56 pm

People... stop bothering Dan about 'leading a movement'. None of you Twats agree on anything. There's no 'movement'. Dan is doing his thing and it's what he likes to do.

Just go with Kucinich, Nader or Paul and leave Dan out of it. He's not a frickkin politician and I wouldn't want him to be.

Enough with the mewling, FFS.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Postby nmoore63 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 pm

not sure how this would relate.

But I would consider giving my vote up.

By that I mean, hold our own primary, and I'll cast mine how the group goes... vote as a bloc if you will.
Nick Moore - The Ponderous Right Winger

... And furthermore, the NSA must be destroyed.
nmoore63
Archon

Postby AverageJoe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:03 am

Smitty-48 wrote:People... stop bothering Dan about 'leading a movement'. None of you Twats agree on anything. There's no 'movement'. Dan is doing his thing and it's what he likes to do.

Just go with Kucinich, Nader or Paul and leave Dan out of it. He's not a frickkin politician and I wouldn't want him to be.

Enough with the mewling, FFS.

:worship:
Misinformed. Ignorant. Perpetually Mad.
That's the new American way.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

"I'm too old to be governed by the fear of dumb people" -Charlie Skinner

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby ceolfrin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:41 am

Ceebee4 said:
FWIW, Dan, they're right about Cenk Uygur and his audience. I'm a long-time member of the Young Turks, recent listener to your show, and the overlap is striking.

I have contacted TYT a couple of times trying to get them to have Dan on the show, I've yet to receive a response. I do hope that these voices can eventually unite enough to consistently put out in the ether the idea of a non-corruption party. Politicians are whores, they are beholden to their donors because they fear damage to their career, they will comply all the same if that fear for their career comes from angry constituents or anti-corruption being in the ether so much that they cannot ignore it.
ceolfrin
Contributing Member

Postby miasma » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:44 am

If anything, run for Sheriff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-9fpXguaA&playnext=1&list=PL8B845593184D240A

When asked why he was running, Hunter said something like: Seems like were always talkin bout Washington, but what they do over there and what we do here, don't have much to do with eachother.

In the broad sense, I agree. If we (I don't just mean Dan, but all of us) are truly motivated by an altruistic desire to give liberty and fulfillment to the lives of others, our fellow Americans, then any one of us could run for positions in our local government and make large, though dryly practical, differences in people's lives, and their relation to their government. If there were enough crazy people like us gaining personal and/or group power in local/state politics, then there would be enough infrastructure, still free of the usurping duopoly, to serve as fertile ground for the development of new parties.

BTW: If you run, using this song in some adds would be an instant vote getter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI
Last edited by miasma on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but rather memory" -- Leonardo da Vinci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7yyP2StK0

the only good is virtue; no enemy can deprive me of virtue; ergo I fear no enemies
miasma
Contributing Member

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am

I have to admit I was greatly inspired by the Rent is Too Damned High party at the NY debates. Regardless of where you all fall on his ideas, you have to admit he completely drove the public discourse and forced the democratic and republican candidates to adopt some of his issues. That is an effective use of speech.

On the one hand, I really want to convince people to vote for anybody but republicans and democrats. Simply get rid of the cancer now and we can figure out how to reorganize later.

But on the other hand, I want to see people inject real issues into these debates in an effort to take at least some control of political discourse away from the mass media and political parties.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby ceebee4 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 am

ceolfrin wrote:Ceebee4 said:
FWIW, Dan, they're right about Cenk Uygur and his audience. I'm a long-time member of the Young Turks, recent listener to your show, and the overlap is striking.

I have contacted TYT a couple of times trying to get them to have Dan on the show, I've yet to receive a response. I do hope that these voices can eventually unite enough to consistently put out in the ether the idea of a non-corruption party. Politicians are whores, they are beholden to their donors because they fear damage to their career, they will comply all the same if that fear for their career comes from angry constituents or anti-corruption being in the ether so much that they cannot ignore it.

Dan was interviewed on TYT last summer. I loved it. No time to look it up now, but you should be able to find the audio online, if you're interested.

Yeah, they agreed the main problem is the corrupt system. On this point, much agreement between both of their audiences as well.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." --G.B. Shaw

"We're having a good time."
ceebee4

Postby P. Ami » Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 am

GoldenEagle wrote:Do it. Dan, you can lead us. The mood of the country is right. If you look back on this moment 100 years from now, you'd say this moment was when change could happen. The people longed for it. Now we're just waiting for the great man to come and effect the country. It's all you Dan.

Interesting interview to peruse.

In a way, I consider myself a utopian. There’s a book I’ve started to write — I’m not sure I’m ever going to finish it — about the historical tension between messianism and utopianism. And it is an attack on messianism. Because I would argue that too many problems of the last two thousand years or so are due to messianism. A messiah has a great vision, usually of redemption. Messianism requires following a leader. It requires pulling everybody into the scheme of a leader. Whereas utopianism basically consists in co-opting people to build things together. There is no overall, overarching scheme.

http://www.the-utopian.org/post/3217295807/the-last-word
"Have no twisty thoughts"

- Lao Tsu
P. Ami
Nomarch

Postby Okeefenokee » Mon May 09, 2011 4:35 am

what if every listener puts in money to buy a couple hundred acres in one place and we all move there and get residency and then control any election we are eligible to vote in? would that seem unethical? would we be able to agree better in person than we do on this board?
Everyone is king when there's no one left to pawn.
Okeefenokee
Nomarch

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon May 09, 2011 4:37 am

It certainly would make it easier to destroy DBTrek's hipster army.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

PreviousNext

Return to Do Something!!!