The Molotov Cocktail Party

Area to hash-out ideas for grassroots efforts to improve things.

Moderators: Loki, robroydude, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, Spinny Spamkiller

Re: The Molotov Cocktail Party

Postby Waleis » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Chris73 wrote:Gee whiz. I guess I should pick up a book. I didn't realize that violence existed in the 18th century.

Well, if brutality and barbarism are the founding principles that should be running through my American veins, I suppose I've got a whole new way to deal with frustration, change and anger in life.

:thanks:

lol I didn't realize you were British. In any case, you're nation's success, and your liberties, are the result of the same forces as the US' success and liberty. In fact, I would say this is true to an even greater degree with the British.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Occam » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:32 am

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."

-Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Occam
Satrap

Postby Chris73 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am

Occam wrote:"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."

-Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

'Beware the sociopath in patriotic garb who advocates violence and murder when faced with the frustration of a decline phase in their nations existence. For he is full of shit.'

-Chris73, thinking about responses inbetween changing diapers and dinnertime in London, 2010
'Ares urged on the Trojans,
while bright-eyed Athena kept rousing the Achaeans.
With them came Terror, Fear, and tireless Strife,
sister and companion of man-destroying Ares—
at first small in stature, she later grows enormous,
head reaching heaven, as she strides across the earth.
Strife went through crowds of soldiers, casting hatred
on both sides equally, multiplying human miseries.' - Homer, Iliad 4.440

'Don't get all :facepalm: with me,...' - Benkei

:shakinghead: I hate people. - Kath
Chris73

Postby Chris73 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am

Waleis wrote:
Chris73 wrote:Gee whiz. I guess I should pick up a book. I didn't realize that violence existed in the 18th century.

Well, if brutality and barbarism are the founding principles that should be running through my American veins, I suppose I've got a whole new way to deal with frustration, change and anger in life.

:thanks:

lol I didn't realize you were British. In any case, you're nation's success, and your liberties, are the result of the same forces as the US' success and liberty. In fact, I would say this is true to an even greater degree with the British.

I'm not British, I just live here. I'm from Texas. And whatever violence is part of the history of the geographical area I'm from is useless when trying to find ways to deal with the situation we're currently in. What, Americans 250 years ago tarred and feathered folks so that gives us carte blanche to throw petrol bombs at other human beings because we're upset that we've fucked things up today? Please.

Chris73

Postby Occam » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Chris73 wrote:'Beware the sociopath in patriotic garb who advocates violence and murder when faced with the frustration of a decline phase in their nations existence. For he is full of shit.'

-Chris73, thinking about responses inbetween changing diapers and dinnertime in London, 2010

I take it you're in the "do nothing and hope everything gets better" camp. I hope that you are right and I am wrong, and it does not come to violence.

But if we continue to pretend that there is nothing wrong with our society, then violence is all but assured.
Occam
Satrap

Postby Kath » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:21 pm

exposno1 wrote:
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

So, you were against the Revolutionary War?

Only half joking... I've no idea how silly it's gonna get before it gets fixed or a mass revolt ensues. My preference would be that those with the ability to fix the system, go off and fix the system before that happens, but I'm not opposed to refreshing the tree of liberty from time to time, when needed.

*tapping fingers on desk waiting for the change.....*
If you believe you can't do something, you are absolutely right.
Kath
Archon

Postby Waleis » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:12 am

Chris73 wrote:I'm not British, I just live here. I'm from Texas. And whatever violence is part of the history of the geographical area I'm from is useless when trying to find ways to deal with the situation we're currently in. What, Americans 250 years ago tarred and feathered folks so that gives us carte blanche to throw petrol bombs at other human beings because we're upset that we've fucked things up today? Please.

I never suggested that we have "carte blanche" concerning the use of violence. I pointed out that in the past violence occasionally achieved positive results. Are you deliberately misinterpreting my posts?
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby KrusherKailash » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Violence is not the answer.
However, the answer might look violent.
2nd Amendment: "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
The answer is a non-government, non-corporate, militia of the people.
100,000 people march on Washington with signs about how the government is unresponsive to the needs of the people is cute.
100,000 armed people march on Washington, loaded or not, is a statement and cannot be ignored.
I do not advocate violence, but if the government is so corrupt and so irrevocably broken, then showing the government that the governed will, in solidarity, rise up against tyranny is a good start.
KrusherKailash

Postby Occam » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 am

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Occam
Satrap

Postby DBTrek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby Dr Gonzo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:06 pm

"I just wanna get my kicks before the whole Shithouse goes up in flames"--Jim Morrison

Thought I'd jump into this Quote-Off.
Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship.~~George Orwell
Dr Gonzo

Postby Chris73 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 am

Waleis wrote:
Chris73 wrote:I'm not British, I just live here. I'm from Texas. And whatever violence is part of the history of the geographical area I'm from is useless when trying to find ways to deal with the situation we're currently in. What, Americans 250 years ago tarred and feathered folks so that gives us carte blanche to throw petrol bombs at other human beings because we're upset that we've fucked things up today? Please.

I never suggested that we have "carte blanche" concerning the use of violence. I pointed out that in the past violence occasionally achieved positive results. Are you deliberately misinterpreting my posts?

I seem to have mistakenly conflated your prior history lesson with Occam's apparently cavalier attitude towards launching home made explosives into crowds of (what I can only assume are) US citizens; some of whom will be protesting something and others who will be trying to maintain some order. I don't have a problem with either group. I have a problem with fools who advocate indiscriminate violence and dress it up in the patriotism of an earlier age.

My apologies.

Chris73

Postby Chris73 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Occam wrote:
Chris73 wrote:'Beware the sociopath in patriotic garb who advocates violence and murder when faced with the frustration of a decline phase in their nations existence. For he is full of shit.'

I take it you're in the "do nothing and hope everything gets better" camp.

Not really. Violence is just not a banner I leap towards with enthusiasm.

Chris73

Postby Occam » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm

In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good.

-Sun Tzu
Occam
Satrap

Postby Chris73 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Ok, I guess that's it then. Enjoy your quotes.

Chris73

PreviousNext

Return to Do Something!!!