* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bill Of Rights > Pledge of Allegiance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 am 
Contributing Member

Instead of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, shouldn't the kids perhaps recite the Bill of Rights even if it takes a bit longer ?

Post subject: Re: Bill Of Rights > Pledge of Allegiance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am 
Hetairoi

The Bill of Rights as written, or what's left of them in practice?

The latter would save considerable time....

"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 am 
Satrap

That be a long ass morning announcements...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm 

I don't say the Pledge anyways. Why should I pledge allegiance to a corrupt nation, where I learn nothing useful, and I have to swear to a God I don't believe in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 pm 
Contributing Member

Lie Seeking Missle wrote:
Instead of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, shouldn't the kids perhaps recite the Bill of Rights even if it takes a bit longer ?

I like that idea!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm 

Not a fan. Not because I dislike the Bill of Rights, but because rote repetition:learning::sledgehammer:screws. It will get it in there, but it blunts the best features. Listen to a classroom reciting the Pledge sometime. It's atonal repetition of sounds, looks like the cult of personality nonsense we used to mock dictatorships for, and only appears to engender an idolatry for the flag with no regard for the principles of our country. You really want to make the Bill of Rights some rote chore that signifies "that thing we used to do before the morning announcements"?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:09 pm 
Contributing Member

WillyGilligan wrote:
Not a fan. Not because I dislike the Bill of Rights, but because rote repetition:learning::sledgehammer:screws. It will get it in there, but it blunts the best features. Listen to a classroom reciting the Pledge sometime. It's atonal repetition of sounds, looks like the cult of personality nonsense we used to mock dictatorships for, and only appears to engender an idolatry for the flag with no regard for the principles of our country. You really want to make the Bill of Rights some rote chore that signifies "that thing we used to do before the morning announcements"?

I agree with you if you mean schools forcing kids to recite the Bill of Rights each day. But, parents should teach their kids the rights that they have as included in the Bill of Rights. Also, repetition is a valid learning technique.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:16 pm 
Nomarch

i agree it loses its meaning. both the pledge and the national anthem are just syllables. it was a long time before i went through the words of the anthem and understood what it said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm 
Archon

I don't think many Americans have any idea what emotion the poem was meant to convey. They have no concept of what it was like for the man to watch his nation attacked, to wonder all night if his countrymen would endure, and then to see his flag still raised in defiance of such a brutal night's attack. Americans no longer truly deserve the assumption that they shall always have a nation. They abrogated their responsibility to it. They no longer even care much that it might endure.

Before this gets any better, Americans will know first hand what Francis Scott Key felt on the deck of any enemy frigate, wondering if his nation would ever again exist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm 
Nomarch

i feel like i'm watching the falcons lose. they're down by 30 or 40 and are getting smashed, but i keep watching until the end with a glimmer of hope that as long as there is time on the clock, they can still come back to win. others around have no illusions of the outcome and know i must be a true fan to continue watching with a faint hope until the end counts down.