What happened to American engineering and architecture?

Area to hash-out ideas for grassroots efforts to improve things.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

What happened to American engineering and architecture?

Postby Lie Seeking Missle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Tallest building in US: Willis Tower (Sears Tower) built in 1974, height: 442 m

Tallest building in the World: Burj Khalifa built in 2010, height : 828 m

Tallest 9 buildings in the world were build in 1998 or later.
Willis Tower is 10th tallest in the World built in 1974.

It is like comparing this:
(70s was not a very good decade for the American car...)

to that:

What were American architects building lately? Let's see...

How about a fortress embassy in Iraq?:
Saints need sinners.
Lie Seeking Missle
Contributing Member

Re: What happened to American engineering and architecture?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 pm

With respect to sky scrapers.. we finally grew the hell up, and wizened up. Remember the little colloquial expression.. what goes up, must come down? Yeah.. nothing stays up forever. Not unless you build it outside the gravity well anyway. As far as vehicles, we do build some pretty awesome vehicles today. We also build the best aircraft in the world.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Lie Seeking Missle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:With respect to sky scrapers.. we finally grew the hell up, and wizened up. Remember the little colloquial expression.. what goes up, must come down? Yeah.. nothing stays up forever. Not unless you build it outside the gravity well anyway. As far as vehicles, we do build some pretty awesome vehicles today. We also build the best aircraft in the world.

I award you 100 bonus points for trying to save face and obscure the true reasons.
Saints need sinners.
Lie Seeking Missle
Contributing Member

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 pm

“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Witten » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:27 pm

You know what happened to the folks that built the sears tower? they built the Burj Khalifa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skidmore,_Owings_and_Merrill

My father studied architecture back in the early 70s in Chicago. where a lot of the innovative engineering was at the time. And for the past 20 years or so he's been working where alot of american developers and architects are now; overseas.

More exotic locales, more exotic projects, more cash. American architecture and engineering is alive and well...you just have to look outside of the country.
Witten
Contributing Member

Postby Lie Seeking Missle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Witten wrote:You know what happened to the folks that built the sears tower? they built the Burj Khalifa

My father studied architecture back in the early 70s in Chicago. where a lot of the innovative engineering was at the time. And for the past 20 years or so he's been working where alot of american developers and architects are now; overseas.

More exotic locales, more exotic projects, more cash. American architecture and engineering is alive and well...you just have to look outside of the country.

Thank you! Correct answer!
Saints need sinners.
Lie Seeking Missle
Contributing Member

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Lie Seeking Missle wrote:
Witten wrote:You know what happened to the folks that built the sears tower? they built the Burj Khalifa

That is great to know! So, we are just exporting our architectural and building know how to assist other countries in building very tall buildings.
"Our founding documents proclaim to the world that freedom is not the sole prerogative of a chosen few. It is the universal right of all of God's children". Ronald Reagan.
Gregg
Contributing Member

Postby 0bserver92 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I can't wait to see what Snohetta does with the new World Trade Centre.
0bserver92
Contributing Member

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 pm

0bserver92 wrote:I can't wait to see what Snohetta does with the new World Trade Centre.

I would love to see what the plans are. I guess I will google it.
"Our founding documents proclaim to the world that freedom is not the sole prerogative of a chosen few. It is the universal right of all of God's children". Ronald Reagan.
Gregg
Contributing Member

Postby 0bserver92 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Gregg wrote:
0bserver92 wrote:I can't wait to see what Snohetta does with the new World Trade Centre.

Snohetta is in my opinion the best architecture group in the world all you have to do is see their creations. I also believe they won a bid to redesign Time Square.
0bserver92
Contributing Member

Postby Gregg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:36 pm

0bserver92 wrote:
Gregg wrote:

Snohetta is in my opinion the best architecture group in the world all you have to do is see their creations. I also believe they won a bid to redesign Time Square.

Have they published their proposed designs for the World Trade Center and Times Square yet? If not, I will just look at some designs that they created in the past.
Gregg
Contributing Member

Postby 0bserver92 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Gregg wrote:Have they published their proposed designs for the World Trade Center and Times Square yet? If not, I will just look at some designs that they created in the past.

I don't think so go to their website you see what they have planned for the 9/11 memorial.
http://www.snoarc.no/
0bserver92
Contributing Member

Postby Witten » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am

Gregg wrote:
Lie Seeking Missle wrote:

That is great to know! So, we are just exporting our architectural and building know how to assist other countries in building very tall buildings.

Wouldn't say it's that simple. There are still American architects on the forefront of modern architecture, they're still setting templates and aesthetics that others mimic and learn from. It's not like as if there's any shortage of architectural creativity or ingenuity coming from Americans. Any architect or developer just goes wherever the best projects are.

When the choice is between a high end apartment in Milwaukee and a five star four seasons in the tranquil hills in the interior of the island of Bali. A creative architect would always pick the latter.

And the projects are usually wherever the new emerging region/'frontier' is. It was South East Asia, now its largely the Middle East, and in the future it could be India or Africa etc.
Witten
Contributing Member

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:49 am

Fun skyscraper fact:

The Empire state building was designed the way it was with large ledges in part to dock with the assumed fleets of zeppelins and other dirigibles that would be coming to NYC....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/reale ... capes.html

If only...
Oh, the humanity...
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap

Postby Gregg » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:51 pm

[quote="The Mad Zeppelineer"]Fun skyscraper fact:

The Empire state building was designed the way it was with large ledges in part to dock with the assumed fleets of zeppelins and other dirigibles that would be coming to NYC....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/reale ... capes.html

That's interesting! I will have to look more closely the next time I am in Manhattan.
Gregg
Contributing Member

Next

Return to Do Something!!!