* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:00 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Gauntlet
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 am 
Hetairoi

Well, his household does have two revenue streams, I believe. At the same time, again I don't think that's what he's after. I think if he wanted to, he could do what we're talking about, but then you wouldn't be getting Dan. That's not to say you wouldn't be getting something as good (no offense Dan), but as he said, there's home cooking and then there's fast food. You can buy really tasty "fast food" but it won't be home cooking.

~Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:44 am 

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. This thread has been sitting here for a while. Wasn't sure it was going to get any traction.

Anyway, I am criticizing how you are doing things, but don't take that offensively.

I greatly appreciate your craftsmanship and your content. But the scope of your enterprise is weakening the impact of your message. And if we are actually going to transform national politics in the USA, we need a national-strength message.

That probably means that you are going to have to sacrifice time for content in order to spend time coordinating a team. There is just no cookie-cutter way around this issue.

Now, feel how you will about Dave Ramsey, his message, and his christianity, but he built a successful small business that helps people get out of debt. He didn't have a team at first, and he resisted hiring people to help him, but he learned how to make it work, and the amount of content that he delivers has grown exponentially because of it.

I would not suggest that you dumb down your content, or that you deliver less, or that you compromise your vision just to get a wider audience.

But if you want to make change in the system, rather than being a footnote in the biography of the person who did, you need a new plan.

I'm willing to help towards that end.

Mister Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:36 pm 
Nomarch

A very, very low budget idea- you live in Eugene, Oregon, right? The state university is in town. At my college, PolSci and Journalism majors will volunteer with a radio, TV station, or local podcast for credit.
If you have contacts at the local uni, 'twould seem relatively easy to get a steady stream of free labor to do coffee runs, phone calls, massages, and building the Great Pyramid of Dan.