Another method...

Area to hash-out ideas for grassroots efforts to improve things.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Another method...

Postby Waleis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:59 pm

I believe pamphleteering would be an effective way to spread anti-plutocratic/pro-democratic messages. It bypasses the mainstream media, while not coming off as distant. An individual on the internet can tell you something ideological, but when your neighbor hands you a pamphlet, you'll probably read it and take it seriously. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but pamphleteering was once extremely effective in the USA, perhaps it can be again?
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Re: Another method...

Postby Smitty-48 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Waleis wrote:I believe pamphleteering would be an effective way to spread anti-plutocratic/pro-democratic messages. It bypasses the mainstream media, while not coming off as distant. An individual on the internet can tell you something ideological, but when your neighbor hands you a pamphlet, you'll probably read it and take it seriously. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but pamphleteering was once extremely effective in the USA, perhaps it can be again?

I would say the US problem is too much democracy. California is a perfect example. Nobody can get a mandate to do anything, and everything gets watered down by minority reports. Or crazy people just insert their bizarre agendas into the mix all the time.

I think the Canadian Conservatives are clowns, but they will do their thing, and my guess is, at the end of the mandate, they will be the most unpopular government in Canadian history, and the Conservative party will be wiped out for a generation. Next crew takes over and does their thing. Might not like what a crew does, but at least they get to do something, so you can determine what worked and what didn't.

The US doesn't go anywhere. Just goes round and round in a never ending election campaign.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Postby Waleis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:The US doesn't go anywhere.

Exactly, because both parties are the same plutocratic gruel. I'm suggesting an extra-systemic solution.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Smitty-48 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Waleis wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:The US doesn't go anywhere.

Exactly, because both parties are the same plutocratic gruel. I'm suggesting an extra-systemic solution.

Extra-systemic? That doesn't sound good...

"There is a specter haunting America.."

:facepalm:
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Postby Amerikanska » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:44 am

Problem is, mate, it's not a specter. It is the real deal. So do you think everything is fine with the system, thus negating a need for something outside the system, something extra-systemic? The system is broken. Can we really expect a broken system to fix itself?
"Corporations are people, my friend" - Mitt Romney
Amerikanska
Contributing Member

Postby hondo69 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:23 am

I like the idea a lot, for several reason.

One, it allows people to obtain information from a unique source. We're bombarded today with so much information it's nearly impossible to tell the real from fake, the important from the mundane. Oh, Japan had another earthquate with some radiation spilling out, yawn. I see here the government wasted another 1/2 billion dollars today, pocket change. But handing a neighbor a pamphlet pointing our their baby boy owes over a million dollars in unfunded debt and they're likely to take a second look.

Secondly, it provides the opportunity to get to know your neighbors a bit better. Instead of looking out the window and seeing a person walk by that must have moved in up the street, you could say, "Oh yeah, that's Jan, she and her husband Bob moved into the old Johnson house." Like it or not we live in increasingly smaller bubbles. Though information availability has exploded due to the internet the physical places we move around in have become very small.

Bigger is better and we're becoming very small.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Return to Do Something!!!