* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:20 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: BC or BCE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 am 
Archon

boethius wrote:
I would like to be able to use BC/AD, which has been used for hundreds of years, without jackholes like DBTrek calling me a monkey for using a "voodoo" system.

And I'd like to be able to go to Target early on Sunday morning without some jackhole in the parking lot telling me I should be in church instead of shopping.

Meh... we can't all get what we want, I guess.

Why do you care what some random guy on the internet thinks of how you refer to the two time periods, anyway?

How's it hurting your life?

If you're THIS worried about what some random DC forum member thinks of you, perhaps it's time to take a walk outside.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 am 
Archon

boethius wrote:
I would like to be able to use BC/AD, which has been used for hundreds of years ( :snicker: ), without jackholes like DBTrek calling me a monkey for using a "voodoo" system.

Well . . . I'm a Michealangelo at the art of turning one-page non-issue threads in to multi-page cage matches. Don't hate on me. Be proud that you were a part of creating this train wreck of a thread that is both captivating and repulsive to the forum at large.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 pm 
Satrap

DBTrek wrote:

Well . . . I'm a Michealangelo at the art of turning one-page non-issue threads in to multi-page cage matches.

Which is part of why I still defend DBTrek to new users even when he acts like a G.O.T.

DBTrek wrote:
Don't hate on me. Be proud that you were a part of creating this train wreck of a thread that is both captivating and repulsive to the forum at large.

Which is the most interesting this about this thread is everyone who has been in it hates it and can't resist it at the same time. Did anyone contact DrYouth to examine our freaky nature on this issue ?

There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann.
How to Solve It, George Pólya

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later, Philip K. Dick

Drop in, post something, fight, get pissed off, and then find out you learned something along the way. You will find that is often a pattern you will go through in the D.C.F. ~ TheRidge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm 
Archon

DBTrek wrote:
both captivating and repulsive to the forum at large.

+1

Still, the most boring, dumbass excuse of a topic, ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm 
Hetairoi

Kath wrote:
Why do you care what some random guy on the internet thinks of how you refer to the two time periods, anyway?

By that logic, no one should care about anything said on this thread and we should all stop posting. Your half-dozen or more posts shows that you seem to care.

Kath wrote:
If you're THIS worried about what some random DC forum member thinks of you, perhaps it's time to take a walk outside.

I'm in Missouri. As odious as Trek is, the weather outside is worse.

"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 pm 
Satrap

Kath wrote:
DBTrek wrote:
both captivating and repulsive to the forum at large.

+1

Still, the most boring, dumbass excuse of a topic, ever.

And yet you posted 13 times on this topic. OK I will subtract one of them since it was just posting a recipe. I think it was great timing to get DrYouth on the forum. We need his insight !!!!!

There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann.

Drop in, post something, fight, get pissed off, and then find out you learned something along the way. You will find that is often a pattern you will go through in the D.C.F. ~ TheRidge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17 pm 
Archon

TheRidge wrote:
And yet you posted 13 times on this topic.

I know, right?

In my defense, I've never once said I wasn't a sick-n-twisted individual.

I don't look at crashes on the highway when I finally get to pass, after being at a near-stop for an hour...

But, this kind of madness................ :drool:

*shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 pm 
Hetairoi

Kath wrote:
boethius wrote:
I would like to be able to use BC/AD, which has been used for hundreds of years, without jackholes like DBTrek calling me a monkey for using a "voodoo" system.

And I'd like to be able to go to Target early on Sunday morning without some jackhole in the parking lot telling me I should be in church instead of shopping.

Meh... we can't all get what we want, I guess.

Heck, I need to take pics from here in TN, huge crosses along the roads (some you can even climb up on to experience being crucified), billboards with generic religious messages and a church that goes out EVERY DAY from street corner to street corner with huge 'honk for Jesus' and 'remember the sabbath' and 'pray for the sinners' signs.

Oh Wait, You're Serious? Let Me Laugh Even Harder!

-"No matter how bad things seem--- "
"They could be worse."
"Nope. No matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things fucking are, and you better get used to it, Nancy. Quit yer bitching."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:28 pm 
Archon

I don't need pics, raistian77.

My in laws are in Kansas.

Same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Satrap

If someone ever writes an FAQ for the Dan Carlin forum, please link this thread in the FAQ.

Maybe twice.

Q1) Is there any controversy about BCE/CE vs. BC/AD
A1) Yes. And don't post this as a question on the DC forum because we doubt the thread would be any different than this link

Q2) Some people say the old days had much better discussions than now.
A2) Nope. The quality of discussions has always been a mix. We do have many great discussions and we always had crap like this link

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:35 am 

Thread of the year contender! :congratssign:

Surely there has rarely before been such a collection of Christian martyrs as we have seen here. At least not since Nero. And now I know why the Romans flocked to the coliseum: it was hugely entertaining watching them being ripped to shreds by a pagan beast. Unfortunately they let down the heritage of martyrdom here. What a bunch of cry babies! Quick, tell us again how unfair Wednesday is! :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:45 am 
Archon

nang wrote:
Surely there has rarely before been such a collection of Secular martyrs as we have seen here.it was hugely entertaining watching them being ripped to shreds by a pagan beast. Unfortunately they let down the heritage of martyrdom here. What a bunch of cry babies! Quick, tell us again how unfair Wednesday is! :cry:

Fixed it for you.

Perhaps if they could have come up with ONE reason why denying history is a more accurate way of recording history. (a silly idea, I know)

... And furthermore, the NSA must be destroyed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:16 pm 
Archon

DBTrek wrote:
boethius wrote:
I would like to be able to use BC/AD, which has been used for hundreds of years ( :snicker: ), without jackholes like DBTrek calling me a monkey for using a "voodoo" system.

Well . . . I'm a Michealangelo at the art of turning one-page non-issue threads in to multi-page cage matches. Don't hate on me. Be proud that you were a part of creating this train wreck of a thread that is both captivating and repulsive to the forum at large.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:37 pm 

nmoore63 wrote:
nang wrote:
Surely there has rarely before been such a collection of Secular martyrs as we have seen here.it was hugely entertaining watching them being ripped to shreds by a pagan beast. Unfortunately they let down the heritage of martyrdom here. What a bunch of cry babies! Quick, tell us again how unfair Wednesday is! :cry:

Fixed it for you.
You mean: "I know you are but what am I?" Oh Brilliant retort, Sir.

Quote:
Perhaps if they could have come up with ONE reason why denying history is a more accurate way of recording history. (a silly idea, I know)
What a ludicrous pretence. The inadequacies of AD have been clearly pointed out on this thread. It does not date the birth of Christ and it is irrelevant to most of the world. Good on those monks who originated this system, but the origin of a thing is not its entirety.

In summary, AD translates as the year of our Lord. Only it's not his year and he's not our Lord.

It may be noted that you and I and most of the population are actually never faced with this question. We do not write AD nor CE on any of the dates we use. I checked the seven calendars on my fridge and not one of them uses either. It is purely a question for historians and it appears that most of them use CE.

However, you guys have your Christian research organisations, like the Discovery Institute, doing all that good work on man-dinosaur cohabitation. Surely they could spare some time to establish the exact dates for Jesus and develop an accurate Christian calendar. I am sure no one would want to steal that from you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:10 pm 
Satrap

nang wrote:
The inadequacies of AD have been clearly pointed out on this thread.

Let's see the arguments for BCE/CE were ....

* We do it to be more tolerant of the rest of the world you ignorant, knuckle-dragging, tree sloths.
* Change happens, get over it. (Which was really the most rational and respectful answer)
* This system is superior because the name change removes religion and we are keeping the same old system.
* Over 1,000 years of history be damned. We are the "educated people". But we are still keeping the same system.
* We must remove religion from time for religious tolerance sake but we still like Wooden and Jupiter.
* CE has been around a long time and look, it was from various religious groups also. In fact there were so many CEs that it would be a fight to agree on which one to use.

Yup, clear as mud.

But everyone still has an opportunity to use my proposed PRISS/ASS system. It's already built in to the infrastructure of most reliable servers on the Internet. At least this way we have a rational and agreeable resource to index time.