* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hunting?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:06 am 

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Dal ... 95299.html

Quote:
DALLAS - A Dallas lawyer is making headlines for actions outside the court room.

Levi McCathern managed to kill a 14-foot, 900 pound alligator.

McCathern said he and his guide spent two days stalking the reptile along the Trinity River in Leon County. He killed the creature with one shot to the head.

He plans to mount it on his wall.

Though I am from Texas, I just don't get this. You hear hunters say something like "oh, what a beautiful creature" Pow! (gun fire) dead dear or whatever, WTF?

"Friends applaud, the comedy is over" - Beethoven

"I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?" - Clark W. Griswold

Post subject: Re: Hunting?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 am 
Satrap

What you would not buy this book ?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kill-it ... 1004905164

There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann.
How to Solve It, George Pólya

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later, Philip K. Dick

Drop in, post something, fight, get pissed off, and then find out you learned something along the way. You will find that is often a pattern you will go through in the D.C.F. ~ TheRidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am 
Satrap

If it weren't for hunting we would still be eating bananas in Africa.

Ya - Trophy hunting is largely about proving your Manliness.

Game hunting is a bit of a different story.
Personally I'm good with game hunting - "killing and grilling"... Good source of organic meat and tastes better than most of what you get in the supermarket.
and hey if the head of the creature ends up on your wall - Sure... not my taste but whatever..

Shooting endangered creatures to prove how big a weapon you have starts to rub me the wrong way. Basically it starts to look like you're compensating for something.

DrY

Last edited by DrYouth on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am 
Archon

Uhhhhh . . . Texas is probably better off without a 14' prehistoric man eating reptile wandering around, dontcha think?

Maybe I'm just jaded on gators after living in Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:24 am 

DrYouth wrote:
If it weren't for hunting we would still be eating bananas in Africa.

Ya - Trophy hunting is largely about proving your Manliness.

Game hunting is a bit of a different story.
Personally I'm good with game hunting - "killing and grilling"... Good source of organic meat and tastes better than most of what you get in the supermarket.
and hey if the head of the creature ends up on your wall - Sure... not my taste but whatever..

Shooting endangered creatures to prove how big a weapon you have starts to rub me the wrong way. Basically it starts to look like you're compensating for something.

DrY

I have no problem with hunting for food. It's just the whole hunting zebras in Africa thing that gets me, it's just an ego trip.

DBTrek wrote:
Uhhhhh . . . Texas is probably better off without a 14' prehistoric man eating reptile wandering around, dontcha think?

Maybe I'm just jaded on gators after living in Florida.

You of all people should see the value in a huge lumbering dinosaur eating dumb fucking rednecks.

"I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?" - Clark W. Griswold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:39 am 
Archon

Its really hard... I mean the present state of modern society is so new.

I mean the previous 50,000 years... that's what it took to get a mate. Its only the most recent 100 that things have changed.

But yeah, I eat meat, I think its good for everyone to see how that works. (even if only once) Whether its a visit to the butcher or pulling the trigger.

I fish, don't really hunt though... but I do have a friend who's CRAZY hunter.

Hunted a cougar with a Bow. A fucking BOW.... I'm all for that. If you wanna go one on one with nature, more power to you. Honestly I think the Cougar would accepted the challenge.

I'm the same with everything. Not big into whale hunting.. but if you want to row out there with a canoe and a stick to take on the Orca. Git er done.

... And furthermore, the NSA must be destroyed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:46 am 
Satrap

nmoore63 wrote:
I'm the same with everything. Not big into whale hunting.. but if you want to row out there with a canoe and a stick to take on the Orca. Git er done.

:doioi:
Darwin will eventually prevail so go ahead and Git er done.....
DrY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 am 
Hetairoi

I don't like it when people kill animals just to mount and look at. I used to hunt with my dad, and we would always eat what we killed. Of course, if it were a nice buck with a good rack on it, we'd mount the rack. But we still ate the meat. Personally, I think killing (either with bow and arrow or with a gun) and eating a wild animal is far more humane than the evil methods used to farm animals for the commercial market today. Commercial farming is an absolute travesty and is wreaking havoc on human health.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 am 

navy62802 wrote:
Personally, I think killing (either with bow and arrow or with a gun) and eating a wild animal is far more humane than the evil methods used to farm animals for the commercial market today. Commercial farming is an absolute travesty and is wreaking havoc on human health.

I agree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 am 
Satrap

How many of you have eaten gator ? It's good eatin in a jambalaya.

There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann.
How to Solve It, George Pólya

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later, Philip K. Dick

Drop in, post something, fight, get pissed off, and then find out you learned something along the way. You will find that is often a pattern you will go through in the D.C.F. ~ TheRidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 am 
Hetairoi

Manliness!?! Take out a 14ft alligator with nothing but a sharpened stick; then we can talk about manliness. Hell, a compound bow takes more effort. Hunting is obviously staked in humans' favor. If cougars could use ak47s, there might be a few human rugs up in the mountains.

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 am 
Hetairoi

TheRidge wrote:
How many of you have eaten gator ? It's good eatin in a jambalaya.

I had some in New Orleans once. It wasn't bad.

Quasigriz wrote:
Manliness!?! Take out a 14ft alligator with nothing but a sharpened stick; then we can talk about manliness. Hell, a compound bow takes more effort. Hunting is obviously staked in humans' favor. If cougars could use ak47s, there might be a few human rugs up in the mountains.

I once hunted with a guy who was gored by a massive white tail buck. After it ripped into his intestines and thrashed him around a bit, he pulled out a pocket knife and eventually killed the deer with that before going to the hospital to get fixed up. I call that pretty "manly."

Last edited by navy62802 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 am 
Satrap

Correction - Trophy hunting is about TRYING to prove your Manliness.
Emphasis on TRYING...
What it actually proves is quite a different matter....

The gator I tried was rubbery... and a bit fishy. :hurl:

DrY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am 
Archon

Haterz gon' hate!

:snicker:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:48 am 
Satrap

What the hell is that?
:altshock: