* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:27 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Taxpayer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 pm 
Satrap

Thats okay and all...but its my government too.
Its not like They are out there trying to keep me from using my money or anything, and it isn't like my tax refund is going to make or break me (anymore). A lump sum is more handy to me, lacking in self-restraint as I am, than the piddly amounts that I would get to keep if I adjusted my W4.
I know that it would be more beneficial to use that $10 a month to put in a savings account or whatever, (and is feeding a bank really better than feeding the govt?) but I also know that I wouldn't do that. $10 is a nice steak, or (wow, I can't really think of anything else I'd spend ten bucks on at the moment but food)
$500 is two semesters of ballet for my daughter, or art supplies for my son, or a good start on a wardrobe refresher for my wife, maybe an eliptical machine, or a new half-bath.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm 
Archon

What works for us is to split the direct deposit and send whatever we don't want/need to spend to ING.

Then, just don't login to ING.

The money is out of sight and out of mind.

I didn't suggest you start now, but certainly have it as a self-improvement goal. Try opening an ING account and sending just $5 of each pay check to it.

Build on that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:36 pm 
Archon

I used to do it by setting up a money market account with an online bank that I never bothered with. I didn't have a card. Didn't have the login data on hand. I just split off a percentage of my check to three direct deposits. One for taxes, the other for the ex, and the rest for me. The third account I had pay the bills automatically after each pay day. So as soon as the direct deposits were made every two weeks, what was almost five grand was maybe a five hundred bucks, depending upon which set of bills I paid in that cycle. But at the end of the year, you can just pay an accountant to fill out the paperwork, and transfer the money from your internet account through them. Your "return" is whatever you overpaid plus interest. Leave enough in there for minimum deposit requirements and spend the rest.

I cannot stand to fill out tax returns. I don't miss federal tax returns. :popcorn:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:53 pm 
Archon

Rhoetus wrote:
Thats okay and all...but its my government too.
Its not like They are out there trying to keep me from using my money or anything, and it isn't like my tax refund is going to make or break me (anymore). A lump sum is more handy to me, lacking in self-restraint as I am, than the piddly amounts that I would get to keep if I adjusted my W4.
I know that it would be more beneficial to use that $10 a month to put in a savings account or whatever, (and is feeding a bank really better than feeding the govt?) but I also know that I wouldn't do that. $10 is a nice steak, or (wow, I can't really think of anything else I'd spend ten bucks on at the moment but food)
$500 is two semesters of ballet for my daughter, or art supplies for my son, or a good start on a wardrobe refresher for my wife, maybe an eliptical machine, or a new half-bath.

Not to be like, an asshole or anything, but how quickly were you doing the math in your head that you figured $500 = 10 bucks a month?

Heroes get remembered but legends never die.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:03 am 
Archon

TheAmericanNomad wrote:
how quickly were you doing the math in your head that you figured $500 = 10 bucks a month?

:lol: The rest of us found a way to let that slide by......

If it had been a fun DBTrek math error, though..... :innocent:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:04 am 
Satrap

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
What we need is to force those crabby rich people to sell their poodles and cut the rest of us checks to buy stuff. Or just send us all Ruger Scout Rifles. If birth control is your God-given right, then so is my damned scout rifle!

First of all, I'd like to make one thing perfectly clear: I inherited the fucking poodle! No one would every buy it from me--she's the most spoiled little bitch on the planet. She's better groomed than I am, better fed than I am, and has had more doctor's visits in her four years than I have had in my entire life! I've given up so much to try to keep her happy--I sometimes think my friends drop by just to visit her! Try to avoid talking shit about The Poodle, mmmmmk?

Secondly, what is it with you and stupid scout rifles? Have you ever even tried one? I've tried a few--they're terribly inaccurate, especially with a large caliber, like the .308--the recoil can actually affect the scope! "Scout rifle" has a nice sound to it, but I wouldn't try clubbing someone over the head with one--and what good is a rifle that can't substitute as a club?

Thirdly, birth control--this is the first time I've ever written anything about birth control on this forum. Gosh it gets late early in Illinois!
:unsure:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:10 am 
Archon

Then what rifle should I save up for basic survival issues and target practice (for something to do for once)?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 am 
Satrap

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Then what rifle should I save up for basic survival issues and target practice (for something to do for once)?

There's a reason the AK-47 is the most popular rifle in the world--it's a great gun! Drop it in the mud, have a tank roll over it--pick it up, it shoots! Its simplicity and strength are mind-boggling. It's not for long distance--it's actually a carbine--or, if you like scary sounding terms--an assault rifle :altshock:

Standard issue is a thirty-round external magazine--but why am I wasting my time--you must've seen this gun a million times, in movies, at Afghani weddings....

If you live in a house, it's perfect for home-defense--if you live in an apartment, it may upset your neighbors, but, you know, twelve jurors are better than six pallbearers.

By and large, it really is the best bang for your buck. I've got nearly forty rifles and shotguns--I wouldn't lie to you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:43 am 
Archon

Don't get an AK. Overkill. You have no use for an "assault" rifle. That's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:45 am 
Archon

Hmm. Ammunition is cheaper with that, isn't it? Nothing but time to spend now. I need a new hobby or something. I have long considered picking up target shooting just to get the skill refreshed and actually at some sufficient level. The only rifle I ever fired was an M16 though. Several handguns, but I really don't see the point of a handgun in Illinois. It's just a hobby weapon for anything other than home defense. That's why I figured a rifle would give me more interest. I don't think I would find target practice with a .45 very fun after a while.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 am 
Archon

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Hmm. Ammunition is cheaper with that, isn't it? Nothing but time to spend now. I need a new hobby or something. I have long considered picking up target shooting just to get the skill refreshed and actually at some sufficient level. The only rifle I ever fired was an M16 though. Several handguns, but I really don't see the point of a handgun in Illinois. It's just a hobby weapon for anything other than home defense. That's why I figured a rifle would give me more interest. I don't think I would find target practice with a .45 very fun after a while.

How much ammo are you going to buy? You're not getting a weapon to stage a coup.

Just get a shotgun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:49 am 
Archon

Not much at all. Just for practice and something to do. I would probably purchase it at a range when I go to shoot.

I always lean more towards conservative designs for something like that. Knives are the same way. Give me a straight up Dozier knife over all that fancy bullshit with spikes and talons or whatever. I was originally just considering a simple bolt-action rifle. The scout rifle lets you do several things, but none of them perfectly well. I realize that I am not planning on hunting, so it might not be all that useful for me.

It's still going to take a while. At this point, I only just replaced by couch, bookshelves, and desk. I have the kitchen things I need. Now I am want to pay back some debts. Then I can start saving again. Legal battles make it difficult.

But I think I can save a little each month. I need to get out of the house. I have had no interest to leave for a while now. Just playing games, writing, reading, whatever. I just need something to do away from here.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:51 am 
Archon

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Not much at all. Just for practice and something to do. I would probably purchase it at a range when I go to shoot.

I always lean more towards conservative designs for something like that. Knives are the same way. Give me a straight up Dozier knife over all that fancy bullshit with spikes and talons or whatever. I was originally just considering a simple bolt-action rifle. The scout rifle lets you do several things, but none of them perfectly well. I realize that I am not planning on hunting, so it might not be all that useful for me.

I think you would be fine with an 870 and a pistol. AK-47 is silly. Small penis syndrome.

You'd probably enjoy target practice more with a pistol on an indoor range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 am 
Archon

What about something like this in .308?

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Hawkey ... odels.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 am 
Archon

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
What about something like this in .308?

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Hawkey ... odels.html

What's your application though, Doc? You live in Chicago. It's cold in winter. You have pain issues. You are looking for a security option.

Are you really wanting to crawl around in the woods hunting deer? Are you looking to lay down suppressive fire at 300 m? No.

Shotgun is a perfect long gun for you, and the pistol is going to be your ace in the hole.

You drive to the indoor range, It's warm, you get a coffee, do some shooting with your sidearm and your shotgun, then you go for lunch. Urban living.