Two week DCF abstinence

Can't find a category for your post? Put it here!

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Rooster-SPQR, Spinny Spamkiller

Two week DCF abstinence

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 am

Set up my "out of office" tool on Outlook
Changed my voicemail...

And then I thought... what about the DCF...
Can I just leave for two weeks without notice...

How about this:

DrYouth will be out of the DCF forum for the next two weeks.
If you require DrYouth's intervention leave a message on this thread.
If this is an emergency contact 911.



Ok... this is really getting wierd... :facepalm:
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
User avatar
DrYouth
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Canadastan

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby Harry K » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 am

Who is this Dr. Youth?

:innocent:
Merlin: Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you've tasted it what do you really know? And then, of course, it's too late.

[Arthur takes a bite]

Merlin: Too late.


"Quiet desperation is the drtech way,
The time is gone, the gun is handed over,
Thought you'd had something more to say."
User avatar
Harry K
Archon
 
Posts: 12895
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby drtrech » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 am

Is this your insecurity coming through?

Afraid you'll be gone, then come back and nobody will notice?

We'll miss you deeply and think about you every day. [/affirmation]
Image
User avatar
drtrech
Archon
 
Posts: 28020
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby Kath » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 am

Camping? Cruise? Disney World? Climbing Mount Everest?

Details, man, we need details.
If you believe you can't do something, you are absolutely right.
User avatar
Kath
Archon
 
Posts: 12653
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:42 am

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:37 pm

drtrech wrote:Is this your insecurity coming through?

Afraid you'll be gone, then come back and nobody will notice?

We'll miss you deeply and think about you every day. [/affirmation]

I am secure enough to admit my insecurity.
:ugeek: :wink:
And yes... I will miss you too!
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
User avatar
DrYouth
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Canadastan

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Kath wrote:Camping? Cruise? Disney World? Climbing Mount Everest?

Details, man, we need details.

Family vacation... to one of your US states. The island state... I will have my chance to visit Hawaii, the stomping grounds of my childhood hero, Magnum PI.
The anticipation of this holiday has kept me from burn out over the past few months.
Seriously, the best part of a holiday is knowing its coming.
Once you're on it - it's over in a flash...
but it's the anticipation that makes it most worthwhile.
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
User avatar
DrYouth
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Canadastan

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby Harry K » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Kath wrote:Camping? Cruise? Disney World? Climbing Mount Everest?

Details, man, we need details.

Family vacation... to one of your US states. The island state... I will have my chance to visit Hawaii, the stomping grounds of my childhood hero, Magnum PI.
The anticipation of this holiday has kept me from burn out over the past few months.
Seriously, the best part of a holiday is knowing its coming.
Once you're on it - it's over in a flash...
but it's the anticipation that makes it most worthwhile.


Congrats! One of the places I'd love to hang out for a couple of weeks!

:extgrin:
Merlin: Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you've tasted it what do you really know? And then, of course, it's too late.

[Arthur takes a bite]

Merlin: Too late.


"Quiet desperation is the drtech way,
The time is gone, the gun is handed over,
Thought you'd had something more to say."
User avatar
Harry K
Archon
 
Posts: 12895
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby drtrech » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Big island or tourist central?
Image
User avatar
drtrech
Archon
 
Posts: 28020
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Both!

1 day in Honolulu then we're dividing the rest of the two weeks between Maui and the Big Island.

Any suggestions/recommendations? (With a 9 and 7 year old in tow...)
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
User avatar
DrYouth
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Canadastan

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby boethius » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

DrYouth wrote:Both!

1 day in Honolulu then we're dividing the rest of the two weeks between Maui and the Big Island.

Any suggestions/recommendations? (With a 9 and 7 year old in tow...)

Leave the 9 and 7 year old with grandma on CONUS :lol:
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
User avatar
boethius
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 7893
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Are you offering your grandma?
Their grandmas (on CONCAN) aren't offering...
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
User avatar
DrYouth
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Canadastan

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby drtrech » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 pm

I have a GREAT hotel recommendation in Hilo, if you don't already have something reserved.

Otherwise, I highly recommend spending as much time as possible at Volcanoes National Park.

The highlight of my trip there, though, was a lava hike. You'll deal with independent contractors with no insurance, pay about $50/person, walk your ass off, and get to see lava flowing into the ocean (your results may vary). Be sure to take plenty of water, a stout stick, and a headlamp. And sturdy shoes, because you'll be walking on actual broken glass most of the time.

Let me know if you want more details on hotel or anything else. I went in october of 2010 and regret not spending more time with the volcanoes.
Image
User avatar
drtrech
Archon
 
Posts: 28020
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby drtrech » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Cheap, local, comfortable. They grow their own fruit and know the lava.

No pool, no resort. It's a place for people who are there to see the island, not the hotel.

http://www.dolphinbayhotel.com/
Image
User avatar
drtrech
Archon
 
Posts: 28020
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby Carlus Magnus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm

DrYouth wrote:Both!

1 day in Honolulu then we're dividing the rest of the two weeks between Maui and the Big Island.

Any suggestions/recommendations? (With a 9 and 7 year old in tow...)


I've been there three times with the military so I didn't get to leave Oahu. Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor and the Punch Bowl are pretty good for Military History. Kanoehe Bay is cool for public snorkling, on the main road near Kawela Bay there is an awesome shrimp stand with the freshest shrimp you can get, other than that just some light hiking and swimming.
Molon Labe
User avatar
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 8136
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Two week DCF abstinence

Postby DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm

drtrech wrote:I have a GREAT hotel recommendation in Hilo, if you don't already have something reserved.

Otherwise, I highly recommend spending as much time as possible at Volcanoes National Park.

The highlight of my trip there, though, was a lava hike. You'll deal with independent contractors with no insurance, pay about $50/person, walk your ass off, and get to see lava flowing into the ocean (your results may vary). Be sure to take plenty of water, a stout stick, and a headlamp. And sturdy shoes, because you'll be walking on actual broken glass most of the time.

Let me know if you want more details on hotel or anything else. I went in october of 2010 and regret not spending more time with the volcanoes.

We are staying in Volcano (the town) for a few nights and plan on spending time in the park. We have our headlamps packed - but I'll double check with my wife about the shoes... good point about the glass (melted sand I'm sure you mean)...
The price estimate is helpful.
"Trek requires no sunshine to be happy. He feeds off the despair of others like a dementor." e_room_matt

"Thank you so much for your assessment of my wickedness and the depth of my depravity and immersion in sin." drtrech

"You pansy-ass hippy utopian naive fool" coyo7e
User avatar
DrYouth
Hetairoi
 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Canadastan

Next

Return to Off Topic Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 3 guests