Ebola

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Ebola

Postby Fife » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Anybody get the feeling that we don't really know everything about this bug?

YOU KNOW, I’M BEGINNING TO GET A BIT CONCERNED: Ebola Fears Hit Close To Home. Usually, Ebola outbreaks burn out because it’s so fatal that it kills off its victims before they have time to do much spreading. I wonder if this is a new, longer-incubating strain or something. I couldn’t find any such reports, but this does seem to be an unusually widespread

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/192519/

Could Ebola spread to the U.S.?

The CDC held a media briefing Monday to emphasize that there is "no significant risk" of an Ebola outbreak in the United States.

There has never been a confirmed case of Ebola spreading to a developed country, said Kamiliny Kalahne, an epidemiologist with Doctors Without Borders.

"This is because people generally transmit the infection when they are very sick, have a high fever and a lot of symptoms -- and in these situations, they don't travel.

"And even if they do get sick once they travel to a developed country, they will be in a good hospital with good infection control, so they are very unlikely to infect others," she said.

The U.S. health care system is also better suited to handle an Ebola case than many in West Africa, said Dr. Marty Cetron, director of CDC's Division of Global Migration and Quarantine. Health officials would likely recognize such a case and be able to trace all points of contact with the patient to prevent further transmission, he said.

"Epidemics of disease are often followed by epidemics of fear and epidemics of stigma," Cetron said. "All of these things occur in a social context that can make containment very challenging."

Ebola is not contagious until symptoms appear. Symptoms of Ebola include fever, fatigue and headaches. These symptoms can appear two to 21 days after infection, meaning many who are sick don't know it.

The early symptoms then can progress to vomiting, diarrhea, impaired kidney and liver function, and sometimes internal and external bleeding.

What should I do?

Avoiding these West African countries is the easiest way to prevent the outbreak from spreading, Cetron said. If you have traveled recently to the region and develop a fever, or other symptoms consistent with Ebola, notify your doctor right away.

If you're a humanitarian worker in the region, you need to be familiar with proper infection control precautions and avoid contact with blood or any other bodily fluids, he said. You should also report any needle sticks or possible exposures early to receive testing and, if necessary, start treatment as soon as possible.

The Sawyer family is working with their church community to start "Concerned Liberians against Ebola," Decontee said. Their goal is to raise $500,000 to help two international organizations: Samaritan's Purse and Global Health Ministry.
Say it 3 times fast: "Whale Oil Beef Hooked." Now you're ready for the yuppy Irish pub in your suburb.
"As an aside, this is what I keep hearing in my head when reading Fife's posts. (X)" --Dr. Strangelove
“I mean there can't be only one person like Fife on the planet, its statistically unlikely.” --Cid
"I asked the internet, it said Fife's full of shit" “In other news, Fife admits his posts are gay.” “You've herped your last derp, Fife.” --DBTrek
“Fife, if you keep typing stuff like this we'll lose our designated driver!” “Never, ever kick a drinking buddy like Fife down... just pour him more shots!” --Harry K
“Fife might just get his present stuffed up his chimney.” --drtrech
“Geez, Fife. A new low.” --vive42
“Meh, you read one Fife post, you've pretty much read them all.” --Smitty-48
“That smells like a Fife quote.” “Fife is on my list, but I thought I'd give him a chance this one time in about 4 months. That was a waste.” --RAnthony
Fife
Hetairoi

Re: Ebola

Postby Carlus Magnus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Fife wrote:Anybody get the feeling that we don't really know everything about this bug?

"Epidemics of disease are often followed by epidemics of fear and epidemics of stigma," Cetron said. "All of these things occur in a social context that can make containment very challenging."

Ebola is not contagious until symptoms appear. Symptoms of Ebola include fever, fatigue and headaches. These symptoms can appear two to 21 days after infection, meaning many who are sick don't know it.

The early symptoms then can progress to vomiting, diarrhea, impaired kidney and liver function, and sometimes internal and external bleeding.

With an incubation period of 21 days and mild early symptoms if this thing gets into a highly mobile culture, things could get out of hand quickly.
Molon Labe
Carlus Magnus
Hetairoi

Postby Fife » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Carlus Magnus wrote:With an incubation period of 21 days and mild early symptoms if this thing gets into a highly mobile culture, things could get out of hand quickly.

I agree.

The constant is our highly mobile culture. A variable (among a few) is the incubation period of an rapidly-adaptive ebola bug.

I know that many in this forum are members of the poo-poo club, but when I hear a reasonable person like yourself using a phrase like "things could get out of hand quickly" in an ebola thread, well, I'm concerned.
Say it 3 times fast: "Whale Oil Beef Hooked." Now you're ready for the yuppy Irish pub in your suburb.
"As an aside, this is what I keep hearing in my head when reading Fife's posts. (X)" --Dr. Strangelove
“I mean there can't be only one person like Fife on the planet, its statistically unlikely.” --Cid
"I asked the internet, it said Fife's full of shit" “In other news, Fife admits his posts are gay.” “You've herped your last derp, Fife.” --DBTrek
“Fife, if you keep typing stuff like this we'll lose our designated driver!” “Never, ever kick a drinking buddy like Fife down... just pour him more shots!” --Harry K
“That smells like a Fife quote.” “Fife is on my list, but I thought I'd give him a chance this one time in about 4 months. That was a waste.” --RAnthony
Fife
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I think it's the black death.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Soapboxer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:38 pm

What made you say "we really don't know anything about this bug"?
You don't seem to care about the rapist - Dr. Strangelove
Soapboxer
Nomarch

Postby drtrech » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Soapboxer wrote:What made you say "we really don't know anything about this bug"?

Is easier to incite panic that way. :altwink:
drtrech
Archon

Postby Fife » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Soapboxer wrote:What made you say "we really don't know anything about this bug"?

Who said that?

Who is "you?"

Fife
Hetairoi

Postby Soapboxer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Fife wrote:Anybody get the feeling that we don't really know everything about this bug?

Alright, I missed half a word. Next time I'll make sure to put the training wheels on so you know exactly what I mean

Soapboxer
Nomarch

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Charles Bukowski is finally realizing what it means to be in Hell.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Soapboxer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Hey look, the pimple on the ass of this forum decided to show up!
Soapboxer
Nomarch

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Pimples are more temporary things. Like people who show up with the image of great poets and then display a lack of reading comprehension day after day, and then go away after about a month or two. I don't know if you know this, but drtrech has had a lot of sidekicks before. They don't last long. You might want to find out why.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby Fife » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Soapboxer wrote:

Alright, I missed half a word. Next time I'll make sure to put the training wheels on so you know exactly what I mean

As soon as anybody here GAF about what "exactly you mean" other than what you type out, you'll be one of the first to know.

:hugs:

Pro tip: Meanwhile, when your juvenile ass puts shit inside quotation marks that nobody here actually typed out, well . . . you're a rotten asshole.

Oh, and BTW, you can stick your training wheels up your ass sideways, you POS liar.

Intentional misquoting of one another around here is not something we take lightly, fuck-o.

And acting if that is some kind of "training wheels" bullshit just reinforces our notions about you.
Fife
Hetairoi

Postby Soapboxer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm surprised you even know what a poet is. Good for you. I figured you saw a group of letters you didn't recognize as words and thought they were a name. Maybe there's hope for you. :)

Maybe you're right about the pimple analogy. You're like a huge untreated abscess. My apologies. Also, you clearly have no idea what I think of drtech, I don't like him any more that I do you. Sounds like you're the one with bad reading comprehension.

Now do you want to actually discuss the post or just fill up the thread. Maybe you'd like to explain to me how Ebola is caused by abortion?
Soapboxer
Nomarch

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby de officiis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 pm

CDC's Ebola Info

Transmission

Because the natural reservoir of ebolaviruses has not yet been proven, the manner in which the virus first appears in a human at the start of an outbreak is unknown. However, researchers have hypothesized that the first patient becomes infected through contact with an infected animal.

When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:

direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person

exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions

The viruses that cause Ebola HF are often spread through families and friends because they come in close contact with infectious secretions when caring for ill persons.

During outbreaks of Ebola HF, the disease can spread quickly within health care settings (such as a clinic or hospital). Exposure to ebolaviruses can occur in health care settings where hospital staff are not wearing appropriate protective equipment, such as masks, gowns, and gloves.

Proper cleaning and disposal of instruments, such as needles and syringes, is also important. If instruments are not disposable, they must be sterilized before being used again. Without adequate sterilization of the instruments, virus transmission can continue and amplify an outbreak.

Treatment

Standard treatment for Ebola HF is still limited to supportive therapy. This consists of:

balancing the patient’s fluids and electrolytes

maintaining their oxygen status and blood pressure

treating them for any complicating infections

Timely treatment of Ebola HF is important but challenging since the disease is difficult to diagnose clinically in the early stages of infection. Because early symptoms such as headache and fever are nonspecific to ebolaviruses, cases of Ebola HF may be initially misdiagnosed.

However, if a person has the early symptoms of Ebola HF and there is reason to believe that Ebola HF should be considered, the patient should be isolated and public health professionals notified. Supportive therapy can continue with proper protective clothing until samples from the patient are tested to confirm infection.

Experimental treatments have been tested and proven effective in animal models but has not yet been used in humans.

A few journal articles...

Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2011 Jun;2(1):3-7. doi: 10.1016/j.phrp.2011.04.001. Epub 2011 Apr 12.
Incubation period of ebola hemorrhagic virus subtype zaire.
Eichner M1, Dowell SF, Firese N.

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
Ebola hemorrhagic fever has killed over 1300 people, mostly in equatorial Africa. There is still uncertainty about the natural reservoir of the virus and about some of the factors involved in disease transmission. Until now, a maximum incubation period of 21 days has been assumed.
METHODS:
We analyzed data collected during the Ebola outbreak (subtype Zaire) in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in 1995 using maximum likelihood inference and assuming a log-normally distributed incubation period.
RESULTS:
The mean incubation period was estimated to be 12.7 days (standard deviation 4.31 days), indicating that about 4.1% of patients may have incubation periods longer than 21 days.
CONCLUSION:
If the risk of new cases is to be reduced to 1% then 25 days should be used when investigating the source of an outbreak, when determining the duration of surveillance for contacts, and when declaring the end of an outbreak.

Link to full article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3766904/

Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2006 Dec;15(12):1523-35.
Progress towards the treatment of Ebola haemorrhagic fever.
Ströher U1, Feldmann H.

Abstract
Being highly pathogenic for human and nonhuman primates and the subject of former weapon programmes makes Ebola virus one of the most feared pathogens worldwide today. Due to a lack of licensed pre- and postexposure intervention, the current response depends on rapid diagnostics, proper isolation procedures and supportive care of case patients. Consequently, the development of more specific countermeasures is of high priority for the preparedness of many nations. Over the past years, enhanced research efforts directed to better understand virus replication and pathogenesis have identified potential new targets for intervention strategies. The authors discuss the most promising therapeutic approaches for Ebola haemorrhagic fever as judged by their efficacy in animal models. The current development in this field encourages discussions on how to move some of the experimental approaches towards clinical application.

Link to full article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3532309/

Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2006 Dec;15(12):1523-35.
Progress towards the treatment of Ebola haemorrhagic fever.
Ströher U1, Feldmann H.

Abstract
Being highly pathogenic for human and nonhuman primates and the subject of former weapon programmes makes Ebola virus one of the most feared pathogens worldwide today. Due to a lack of licensed pre- and postexposure intervention, the current response depends on rapid diagnostics, proper isolation procedures and supportive care of case patients. Consequently, the development of more specific countermeasures is of high priority for the preparedness of many nations. Over the past years, enhanced research efforts directed to better understand virus replication and pathogenesis have identified potential new targets for intervention strategies. The authors discuss the most promising therapeutic approaches for Ebola haemorrhagic fever as judged by their efficacy in animal models. The current development in this field encourages discussions on how to move some of the experimental approaches towards clinical application.
de officiis
Satrap

Next

Return to Current Events