Misty Upham - Tragic, yes. But racist?

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Misty Upham - Tragic, yes. But racist?

Postby DBTrek » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:27 pm

After actress Misty Upham found dead, family accuses police of racism, ignoring pleas

The body of actress Misty Upham was found at the bottom of a steep cliff in in a densely wooded area of Auburn, Wash., on Thursday, a spokeswoman for the family confirmed.

Upham, who had appeared in “August: Osage County” among other films, was first reported missing by her father on Oct. 6, a day after she was last seen leaving her sister’s apartment on the Muckleshoot Indian Reservation in Auburn. At the time, police said that they did not consider Upham to be “endangered,” nor did they consider her disappearance to be suspicious.

But Tracy Rector, a friend of Upham’s who is serving as a family spokeswoman, said the actress’s relatives are furious that Auburn police did nothing to aid in the search. Upham was found by a search party of friends and family on Thursday.

“The family pleaded for the police department to look for her; they pleaded for dogs,” Rector said in an interview with The Post on Friday. Long-standing tensions between police and Native Americans on the Muckleshoot Reservation might have played a role, Rector said.

“Unfortunately, it feels like 1950′s racism in many ways,” said Rector, a Seattle-based filmmaker. “The family is concerned that Misty was considered just another Native person and treated as such. Even that is unacceptable. Native lives matter. It doesn’t matter what her skin color was.”
(What?!? :qmarks: )

The area is considered a “checkerboard reservation,” where tribal land is interspersed with areas that are under the jurisdiction of the city of Auburn. Rector said there is a long history of tensions between Native people and law enforcement in Auburn.

Auburn Police Commander Steve Stocker strongly denied accusations that the department did not do enough, though he acknowledged that no search party was put together for Upham.

“We felt like we put effort into it; the family obviously doesn’t believe that the efforts were enough but we handled it as we felt was appropriate,” Stocker told The Post.

Stocker said that when the family reported Upham missing, a detective was assigned to the case and had been following tips and leads about her whereabouts — though none led police to the area where Upham’s body was ultimately found.

“We did take it seriously,” Stocker said. “Our detective put a lot of time into it. The detective is very sad over this, because she was really hoping to find Misty.”

According to Rector, Upham’s uncle formed his own search party this week with friends and volunteers. Based on tips from the community, the group zeroed in on a search area that included a beautiful, remote and — in some parts — dangerous trail overlooking the White River in Auburn.

“Many people have fallen in that area,” Rector said. “It is also an area that people go to because it’s above the river. It’s a really beautiful wooded space, a lot of people just go there for privacy.”

Upham’s body was found at the bottom of an 150-foot ravine, said Rector. The search party first found her purse with her belongings. One of the men tied a rope around a tree then climbed to the bottom where he spotted the body, said Rector, who had been helping with the search that day.

Upham suffered from anxiety and had been taking medication for bipolar disorder, her father said; but she was no longer on the medication, he said.

“Misty has suffered from mental illness most of her life, Charles Upham said in a Facebook post on Oct. 14. “With the help of her medical team and family support she is able to manage it well. She is not a nut case.”

He said his daughter “was last wearing a purple sweater, black t-shirt, grey sweat pants, silver tennis shoes. She has cut her hair short. She has cut scars on both arms and a birth mark on the back near her neck. She was carrying a white cell phone and a California ID.”

In announcing her disappearance to the media, Upham’s father said that the family believed the actress was endangered because of a medical condition. . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2014/10/17/after-actress-misty-upham-found-dead-family-accuses-police-of-racism-ignoring-pleas/

Suicidal, bi-polar, off-her-meds, troubled woman wanders away from family to commit suicide.
Police didn't form a search party with dogs, ergo it's 1950's racism.
She obviously was allowed to wander off to commit suicide because the Auburn police don't like her skin color and don't consider native American life to be human life.

Give it an effing rest, people.
:shakinghead:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Re: Misty Upham - Tragic, yes. But racist?

Postby de officiis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:48 pm

This is your 20th post today. You're not bored, are you? :wink:
de officiis
Satrap

Postby DBTrek » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:53 pm

:P

When you work with Federal Employees Fridays are always slow, because no one shows up on Friday.
. . .and it ain't because they're all working 10 hour days Monday through Thursday.
DBTrek
Archon

Postby de officiis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:07 pm

DBTrek wrote:Image

:P

When you work with Federal Employees Fridays are always slow, because no one shows up on Friday.
. . .and it ain't because they're all working 10 hour days Monday through Thursday.

:lol: keep going, you're on a roll
de officiis
Satrap

Postby drtrech » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:11 pm

The guy counting posts is asking the guy making posts if he's bored . . .

And another guy is pointing it out.

Boredom epitomized.
drtrech
Archon

Postby DBTrek » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 pm

DBTrek
Archon

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:19 pm

^^^ First cat vid of all time.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby de officiis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:20 pm

drtrech wrote:The guy counting posts is asking the guy making posts if he's bored . . .

Boredom epitomized.

But are we as bored as the guy commenting on how bored the others are?
de officiis
Satrap

Postby Vox Contra » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Don’t have a lot of information to go off of
But it does seem kind of odd that they didn’t organize a search party when one was requested

Seems like every month or so, someone goes missing in the gorge around here
And each time they send out a search & rescue team to look for them, haul their dopey ass off some cliff they got stuck on, or scoop up the bits left over. Sometimes it’s just a false alarm; they still go out & look.

Not sure why the Auburn police didn’t think it was necessary
Didn’t know where to look? Conflicting stories? Jurisdiction issues? Like I said, don’t have much info to go off of.
Racism? Possible
I know from the times talking to rangers & sheriffs out the east side of Oregon near the reservations, animosities are common; on both sides. A lot easier to just drag their feet & stay away, avoid conflicts.
If there was a history of tension between the Auburn police & the reservation, is it possible that the assigned a detective to lead the search from their desk; sure. Is it possible that the residents of the reservation weren’t too thrilled about talking to the police, even in case like this; sure.
Is that what happened? Don’t know
“The truth springs from arguments amongst friends.”
― David Hume
Vox Contra
Nomarch

Postby DBTrek » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I guess I'm just surprised to hear Native Americans still feel that there's racism against them.
In all my years of being a white guy I've never heard another white guy talk shit about Native Americans.

Sure, they can kick up some dust about the 'Redskins' football team, or whatever . . . but I thought after Dances with Wolves and Elizabeth Warren we'd pretty much entered the Era where white folks lie about having Native American Blood because they think it makes them cooler.

Have any of you ever heard a random white person hating on Native Americans?
(And it's not like I didn't grow up near them. Lived near Navajos, Apaches, Pueblos, Seminoles, Ojibwa, etc. Been to the reservations, bought the fireworks.)
DBTrek
Archon

Postby drtrech » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:34 pm

de officiis wrote:
drtrech wrote:The guy counting posts is asking the guy making posts if he's bored . . .

Boredom epitomized.

But are we as bored as the guy commenting on how bored the others are?

Each link in the boredom chain is twice as bored as the link before.

And the fact that there is so much boredom about this story is probably racist.
drtrech
Archon

Postby Archilocus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 pm

DBTrek wrote:Have any of you ever heard a random white person hating on Native Americans?
(And it's not like I didn't grow up near them. Lived near Navajos, Apaches, Pueblos, Seminoles, Ojibwa, etc. Been to the reservations, bought the fireworks.)

Well somebody hasn't been to Oklahoma.

“Btw, the Indians aren’t Oklahomans,” Robert Dan Robbins, a rancher and prominent supporter of Mr. Shannon’s chief primary opponent, Representative James Lankford, wrote on his own Facebook page. “They are a member of their own nation and are suing the state of Oklahoma over water rights and other things as well.”
Archilocus
Nomarch

Postby Vox Contra » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm

DBTrek wrote:I guess I'm just surprised to hear Native Americans still feel that there's racism against them.
In all my years of being a white guy I've never heard another white guy talk shit about Native Americans.

Sure, they can kick up some dust about the 'Redskins' football team, or whatever . . . but I thought after Dances with Wolves and Elizabeth Warren we'd pretty much entered the Era where white folks lie about having Native American Blood because they think it makes them cooler.

Have any of you ever heard a random white person hating on Native Americans?

A lot?
Not a lot. At least not more then any other stupidity
The occasional red-neck being a red-neck. Small town store owners bitching under their breath about “them,” “coming into town, getting drunk & causing problems”
But, generally, those are rare cases.

Most of the problems I’ve run across are bureaucratic & jurisdiction conflicts. Lad use, hunting, water rights, law enforcement, that kind of stuff.
But they sometimes wind up getting interpreted as racially motivated (and not just by one side), and when they do it puts a skew on things that makes them drag on. What would have just normally been a random slight or misunderstanding, becomes another in a long series of problems.
“The truth springs from arguments amongst friends.”
― David Hume
Vox Contra
Nomarch

Postby Soapboxer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Native Americans are kinda known for alcoholism.

I'm not sure they're causing problems for anyone but themselves, though.
You don't seem to care about the rapist - Dr. Strangelove
Soapboxer
Nomarch

Postby MaDuce » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 pm

DBTrek wrote:I guess I'm just surprised to hear Native Americans still feel that there's racism against them.

This kinda stuff leaves a sore spot:
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/issue ... nality.pdf
http://www.oregon.gov/dhs/children/beyo ... -0927.aspx
http://www.npr.org/2011/10/25/141662357 ... ter-system
"Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken
MaDuce
Satrap

Next

Return to Current Events