That Obamacare

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

That Obamacare

Postby Talksintext » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:12 am

Just saying, I love that we're now being forced to pay $300 each month for nothing more than catastrophic emergency coverage with a $13k deductible.

What's the penalty if we don't again? Someone convince me this is really worth it.

Thanksobama.jpg
Talksintext
Nomarch

Re: That Obamacare

Postby Myrtok » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Talksintext wrote:Just saying, I love that we're now being forced to pay $300 each month for nothing more than catastrophic emergency coverage with a $13k deductible.

What's the penalty if we don't again? Someone convince me this is really worth it.

Thanksobama.jpg

Not all of that $300 a month isn't meant for you.Some portion of that goes into subsidies for those less fortunate than yourself. Think of it as Obama's way to help force you to do your Christian charitable duties. Thanks to your generous donations, millions of people who have quit or been fired from every job they ever got will be able to get the same or better plan for free! You're also enabling the fast food and retail industries to go on paying a non-living wage since you're making up the difference for their employees in terms of food stamps and health care.

Your $300 is getting you all that, plus Obama is saving your soul. Feel better now?
"If ye love...tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands of those who feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Myrtok
Nomarch

Postby The Conservative » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Talksintext wrote:Just saying, I love that we're now being forced to pay $300 each month for nothing more than catastrophic emergency coverage with a $13k deductible.

Thanksobama.jpg

I wish it was only $300 a month... in Mass it's about $500 starting.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

My Political Compass 2010

My Political Compass 6/28/13
The Conservative
Hetairoi

Postby mydogjesse » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:53 pm

I (thankfully) get company-provided insurance (around $500/month for our portion, $7,500 family out-of-pocket), so I don't know how Obamacare works, but I thought catastrophic insurance wasn't allowed anymore?
mydogjesse

Postby Talksintext » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Myrtok wrote:Not all of that $300 a month isn't meant for you.Some portion of that goes into subsidies for those less fortunate than yourself. Think of it as Obama's way to help force you to do your Christian charitable duties. Thanks to your generous donations, millions of people who have quit or been fired from every job they ever got will be able to get the same or better plan for free! You're also enabling the fast food and retail industries to go on paying a non-living wage since you're making up the difference for their employees in terms of food stamps and health care.

Your $300 is getting you all that, plus Obama is saving your soul. Feel better now?
I feel like it's all just going to insurance companies and I'm paying the vast majority of it to pay for:
1) old people that don't want to die
2) people who never could take care of their health

When do we get to vote for death panels?
Talksintext
Nomarch

Postby Smitty-48 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:03 am

Y'all pay $500 a month for your healthcare coverage? Shit, that would suck, that's like a new car right there right thur, and a pretty nice one too.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Smitty-48
Archon

Postby The Conservative » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:57 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Y'all pay $500 a month for your healthcare coverage? Shit, that would suck, that's like a new car right there right thur, and a pretty nice one too.

Yes it is, and in many cases, we are forced to pay for it, which means that rent, and food in some cases are now optional... to our own detriment. Especially for those with one income only.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

The Conservative
Hetairoi

Postby Talksintext » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Y'all pay $500 a month for your healthcare coverage? Shit, that would suck, that's like a new car right there right thur, and a pretty nice one too.
It is.

In our cases, we're both fairly young adults, no real medical history, no issues, healthy weight, healthy lives, no smoking, etc.

$300/$12500 is the bare minimum now apparently for a couple. I wouldn't mind it if we had dual income, I guess. If we want a reasonable deductible, it's $500-700.

Given our odds of needing it anytime soon are so low, it's practically a $300/mo organ tax.

But with everyone forced to get healthcare, you're going to end up having the healthiest paying a lot more for the least healthy, because what choice do the healthiest have anymore?

So, Death Panel Movement, who's with me? Time to put the kibosh to the terminally ill being paid $10K/day to hang on a few months and 95yos $5K/day for an extra 6mo lingering in the ICU. Here's some pure heroin, have a blast and goodbye :wave:
Talksintext
Nomarch

Postby carlisimo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:18 am

The deductible is high enough to defeat much of the purpose of having health insurance; that's upsetting, and enough to sour me on the ACA.
carlisimo
Contributing Member

Postby Partyof5 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 am

Talksintext wrote:
It is.

In our cases, we're both fairly young adults, no real medical history, no issues, healthy weight, healthy lives, no smoking, etc.

$300/$12500 is the bare minimum now apparently for a couple. I wouldn't mind it if we had dual income, I guess. If we want a reasonable deductible, it's $500-700.

Given our odds of needing it anytime soon are so low, it's practically a $300/mo organ tax.

But with everyone forced to get healthcare, you're going to end up having the healthiest paying a lot more for the least healthy, because what choice do the healthiest have anymore?

So, Death Panel Movement, who's with me? Time to put the kibosh to the terminally ill being paid $10K/day to hang on a few months and 95yos $5K/day for an extra 6mo lingering in the ICU. Here's some pure heroin, have a blast and goodbye :wave:

You wanna talk death panels? How about a dose for the one of you that's not working, since that person is not contributing to society.
Partyof5

Postby The Conservative » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Partyof5 wrote:
Talksintext wrote:
It is.

You wanna talk death panels? How about a dose for the one of you that's not working, since that person is not contributing to society.

If you are talking about me, I have a part time job that gives me just enough hours to pay for gas. It still doesn't pay any bills, and right now the cost of health care is going up another 5% to 10%, and our gas and electricity in Mass is going up another 25 to 40% depending on where you live.

Thomas Jefferson

The Conservative
Hetairoi

Postby nmoore63 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Death Panels!
:goteam:
Nick Moore - The Ponderous Right Winger

... And furthermore, the NSA must be destroyed.
nmoore63
Archon

Postby Talksintext » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Partyof5 wrote:You wanna talk death panels? How about a dose for the one of you that's not working, since that person is not contributing to society.
Shes not dying?

You seem to have a terminal case of irrationality, though... Would you like 500g of pure heroin?
Talksintext
Nomarch

Postby NiceGuy1252 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Myrtok wrote:You're also enabling the fast food and retail industries to go on paying a non-living wage since you're making up the difference for their employees in terms of food stamps and health care.

Great point. It's not much better in the private sector though. I would like 500g of the big H, at least I would be considerably less bothered by my enormous deductible.
NiceGuy1252
Contributing Member

Postby Partyof5 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 pm

The Conservative wrote:If you are talking about me, I have a part time job that gives me just enough hours to pay for gas. It still doesn't pay any bills, and right now the cost of health care is going up another 5% to 10%, and our gas and electricity in Mass is going up another 25 to 40% depending on where you live.

Did I quote you? No. So why would think I was talking about you. I was referring to the one calling for death panels whose household only has a single income.
Partyof5

Next

Return to Current Events