Obama Frees 10 States from No Child Left Behind Act

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Obama Frees 10 States from No Child Left Behind Act

Postby Cicero1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... d%3D134075
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Thursday will free 10 states from the strict and sweeping requirements of the No Child Left Behind law, giving leeway to states that promise to improve how they prepare and evaluate students, The Associated Press has learned.

The first 10 states to receive the waivers are Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Tennessee. The only state that applied for the flexibility and did not get it, New Mexico, is working with the administration to get approval, a White House official told the AP.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the states had not yet been announced. A total of 28 other states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have signaled that they, too, plan to seek waivers – a sign of just how vast the law's burdens have become as a big deadline nears...
Here me roar! - Words of House Lannister
Cicero1
Nomarch

Re: Obama Frees 10 States from No Child Left Behind Act

Postby nmoore63 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:15 am

Silly Statists,

Demand a Federal Department of Education and then bitch when it finally decides to do something.

What did you think was going to happen?
Nick Moore - The Ponderous Right Winger

... And furthermore, the NSA must be destroyed.
nmoore63
Archon

Postby evil muppet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:46 am

Like we need their permission. There is a bill in the NH General Court that would opt New Hampshire out of the No Child Left Behind and would prohibit schools from accepting any federal money from the program without approval of the state legislature. Not sure if it will pass and it would likely get vetoed but it will happen eventually.
evil muppet
Nomarch

Postby Archer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:55 am

evil muppet wrote:Like we need their permission. There is a bill in the NH General Court that would opt New Hampshire out of the No Child Left Behind and would prohibit schools from accepting any federal money from the program without approval of the state legislature. Not sure if it will pass and it would likely get vetoed but it will happen eventually.

The problem with this is that it's not a universal dodge. Title I funding is contingent on being good little troopers and abiding by NCLB. That's fine and dandy for a state like NH, or Utah (who I think did exactly this way back when NCLB was still new). More power to these states for being able to end-run this awful, awful federal law. However, states like CA, NY, FL, TX, etc. with massive student enrollments and tremendous numbers of Title I students need that funding to survive (or at least to avoid raising local tax rates several hundreds of percents). I'm in Florida myself, and if I had to guess, I'd imagine our larger, urban districts are probably pretty stoked right now. This was a terrible law that was nothing more than a giveaway to major testing companies that never should have passed in the first place, and certainly should have been remedied years ago at the least.
I would rather betray the world than have the world betray me.
Archer

Postby Quasigriz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am

Cicero1 wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/no-child-left-behind-waivers_n_1264872.html?icid=maing-grid7|hp-laptop|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D134075
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Thursday will free 10 states from the strict and sweeping requirements of the No Child Left Behind law, giving leeway to states that promise to improve how they prepare and evaluate students, The Associated Press has learned.

The first 10 states to receive the waivers are Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Tennessee. The only state that applied for the flexibility and did not get it, New Mexico, is working with the administration to get approval, a White House official told the AP.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the states had not yet been announced. A total of 28 other states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have signaled that they, too, plan to seek waivers – a sign of just how vast the law's burdens have become as a big deadline nears...

Ah politics. :extgrin:

I bet 10 DC bucks that New Mexico was denied due to their stringent carding of non-residents.
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Return to Current Events