Iranian Nuclear Progress?

What's going on in the world today?

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Iranian Nuclear Progress?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:28 am

TEHRAN - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Saturday the Islamic Republic would soon announce "very important" achievements in the nuclear field, state TV reported.

He was speaking on the 33rd anniversary of the Islamic revolution. Tens of thousands of Iranians joined state-organized rallies across the country to mark the occasion.

"In the coming days the world will witness Iran's announcement of its very important and very major nuclear achievements," Ahmadinejad told a crowd at Tehran's Azadi (Freedom) Square in a speech relayed live on state television.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News ... ?id=257372

Not exactly the most reliable source. But it's still early in the day.

I have a feeling they will try to spin some kind of concession. Those sanctions are hurting them pretty badly. If they open up that facility to inspection, and we can ensure they do not further enrich the uranium they have then that would be a win, no matter how they want to spin it.

What they could do is make it some kind of Hezbollah festival where they pledge to destroy all Israelis again. Then announce that the west "capitulated" and agree to allow for inspections in exchange for relief from sanctions.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Re: Iranian Nuclear Progress?

Postby hondo69 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 am

Same old crap we've been hearing for the past 10 years. They'll say anything or do anything to buy more time.

All they need is a little more time then they've got us by the ying yang.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby doc_loliday » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:22 pm

I guess we'll find out in the 'coming days'.
What is wrong with you people? - Dr. Youth
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 pm

He makes it sound so festive. Are they going to have fireworks and hay rides for the big day of reckoning for the Zionist empire?
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby navy62802 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Just bomb the place already. What are the Israeli ninnies waiting for? They want to do it. Tons of US politicians want to do it. So why don't we just do it already?

:popcorn:
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby doc_loliday » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:59 pm

navy62802 wrote:Just bomb the place already. What are the Israeli ninnies waiting for? They want to do it. Tons of US politicians want to do it. So why don't we just do it already?

I know you're being semi facetious, but patience, it will happen.
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Postby navy62802 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 pm

doc_loliday wrote:I know you're being semi facetious, but patience, it will happen.

Not being facetious. I want to see the people who root for this eat shit. I want them to pay $10 for a gallon of gas. I can afford it. I can afford 100% food-price inflation. I doubt, however, that most of the general public can. I doubt Greece can survive the immediate spike in fuel prices. I doubt the EU in general can survive it. I want bombs to fall on Iran because it will hasten the end to this global financial nightmare. Bombing Iran would essentially be akin to pressing the reset button. Sure, I might be on a ship that gets shot at. But at this point, I think it's better to hasten economic collapse than to continue battering citizens for a couple of decades until the inevitable finally arrives. So fuck it. Send in the bombers. Send in the drones and the cruise missiles. At least we'll finally get through this period of muddling along and face our ultimate fate and get it over with.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:11 pm

navy62802 wrote:Just bomb the place already. What are the Israeli ninnies waiting for? They want to do it. Tons of US politicians want to do it. So why don't we just do it already?

But what if they are planning their moment for the big event? You can't tell me that wouldn't neuter this guy in a second. It probably would trigger an all-out war in the region. But maybe we only drag out the inevitable anyway. Those people won't stop fighting until they run out of rocks and knives. Just make a deal with Israelis. Stay in Fort Apache and fight it out, or just emigrate to America. I am not saying to cut them off or anything. Just give people a way out of they want to raise their families in peace. Europe is getting scary with neo-nazi situation. America is kind of perfect.

I wish we had just taken a chunk out of northern Germany to establish a second Jewish state in Europe. That might have made things easier. Let the British do the Zionist thing. Then we take our pound of flesh from the Germans and setup a Jewish state right in the middle of Europe. And you can't say they didn't deserve that.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby doc_loliday » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:18 pm

navy62802 wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:I know you're being semi facetious, but patience, it will happen.

Not being facetious. I want to see the people who root for this eat shit.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of regular folks mixed with the few 'nuke everyone' that disagrees with me' crowd. Whatever, bomb them too, I guess.
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Postby navy62802 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 pm

doc_loliday wrote:Unfortunately, there are a lot of regular folks mixed with the few 'nuke everyone' that disagrees with me' crowd. Whatever, bomb them too, I guess.

Those are the idiots who will pay the most if we do, indeed, bomb Iran. They are the ones who will be unable to afford $10 gasoline. They are the ones who will not be able to afford food prices which double overnight. And it is these people I will be happy to watch suffer. I want to see them go hungry because they supported the murder of innocent Iranians.

To be clear, I don't personally support action against Iran. First of all, I don't believe the "intelligence" claiming that they are close to a nuclear weapon. Secondly, even if they were, I don't give two shits ... they can't deliver a nuclear weapon to a US territory. And lastly, it is inevitable that Iran will acquire the ability to produce nuclear weapons, bombing or no bombing.

But bomb away! If there's one way to ensure the collapse of the European economy, bombing Iran is the way to do it. Hell, it might even collapse the US economy. But there's only one way to find out ...

navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 pm

A war with Iran is indeed a terminal condition for the global economy. I guess there are ways it might go down without that happening, but they don't seem likely.

Iran goes apeshit across the Gulf. Oil for most of the world is shut down. Prices on remaining oil go so high that just procuring that oil is a matter of national security worthy of starting even more wars. Economy grinds to halt.

Yeah, I don't see how that can go well. It basically assumes there is some way to start a war with Iran without locking down the Gulf, or disabling / destroying capital assets like pipelines, facilities. Pretty much anything upstream where the crude aggregates into one critical location.

Iran has a pretty large army too. There is not much stopping them from attacking Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain.. There are all sorts of people who could potentially get slammed as a result. The economic ripple effect from such an event in that particular place is insane to seriously contemplate. I really don't think they actually want to do that. At least, I like to pretend they really are not that crazy. It at least works for me up until that point.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby navy62802 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:A war with Iran is indeed a terminal condition for the global economy. I guess there are ways it might go down without that happening, but they don't seem likely.

Iran goes apeshit across the Gulf. Oil for most of the world is shut down. Prices on remaining oil go so high that just procuring that oil is a matter of national security worthy of starting even more wars. Economy grinds to halt.

Yeah, I don't see how that can go well. It basically assumes there is some way to start a war with Iran without locking down the Gulf, or disabling / destroying capital assets like pipelines, facilities. Pretty much anything upstream where the crude aggregates into one critical location.

Iran has a pretty large army too. There is not much stopping them from attacking Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain.. There are all sorts of people who could potentially get slammed as a result. The economic ripple effect from such an event in that particular place is insane to seriously contemplate. I really don't think they actually want to do that. At least, I like to pretend they really are not that crazy. It at least works for me up until that point.

To be sure, I do not doubt that the US could easily defeat Iran. But I don't think it could be done in less than a month. Iran is not Iraq. It will not fall nearly as quickly. And it can wreak untold havoc on the region before going down ... for all we know, they already have missiles targeted at the most productive oil fields in the middle east. In the intervening time between invasion/bombing and ultimate victory, I think that the impact on global oil supply and prices is more than enough to tip this fragile global economy into total chaos.

We call it a "black swan" event.
navy62802
Hetairoi

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:17 pm

It's predictable. All these economic debacles were 100% predicted. A black swan event must be unpredicted by prior probability. It's impact must be a game changer. But a black swan event is not just anything that changes our paradigm. It is something we did not anticipate because we did not understand the true probability of it occurring. Only in hindsight will such an event make any sense to us.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby WCMeyer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:35 pm

2012 should rightly be the end of the 'commonly accepted' world, meaning this insane economic tight-rope act that most of the first-world countries have been performing.

Let's grind it to a screeching halt, and prove the Mayan's right.
This is the best time of day, the dawn, the final cleansing breath unsullied yet by acrid fumes or death's cacophony, the rank refuse of unchained ambition. And pray, deny me not, but know me now: your faithful retainer stands resolute to serve his liege Lord without recompense, perchance to fall and perish namelessly. No flag draped bier or muffled drum to set the cadence for a final dress parade. But it was not always thus, remember? Once you worshiped me and named me a God in many tongues, lest I exact too terrible a tribute.
WCMeyer

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Nah. Best wait for 1 Jan 2013. They won't see it coming. The new agers will still be reeling from all the jokes made about them. They will let their guard down. Then boom. They wake up to Apocalypto.
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Next

Return to Current Events