* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Government setting up a war with Anonymous?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm 
Nomarch

So this is interesting. The NSA has stated that Anonymous is going to bring down the power grid. Completely ridiculous, but I wonder why they are even making these statements.

It makes me wonder two things. Are the fucking idiots who come up with bad movie plots, or are they setting up for some strike once they label them terrorist. At least get the general public to believe that.

http://anonops.blogspot.com/2012/02/nsa ... l?spref=tw

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. ~Fight Club

Post subject: Re: Government setting up a war with Anonymous?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:03 pm 
Archon

If they go to war with Anonymous they will lose. Ineffective, over bloated government filled with old dudes that hardly understand "the interwebs" going against an untold number of anonymous people who grew up during the computer revolution, fighting in the virtual realm?

:uhhh:

Yeah, you can't win that war by throwing money at it.

I don't know if the government is stupid enough to try, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

Heroes get remembered but legends never die.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:13 pm 
Nomarch

Quote:
The director of the National Security Agency, Gen. Keith Alexander, told various high-level audiences that the loosely affiliated group, Anonymous, would soon have the capability "to bring about a limited power outage through a cyberattack," according to an anonymously sourced article in the Wall Street Journal today.

The Journal admits that Anonymous "has never listed a power blackout as a goal," but warned that "some federal officials believe Anonymous is headed in a more disruptive direction," anyway.

The Anonymous-affiliated Twitter account, @YourAnonNews, responded with a blunt denial. "NSA head engages in alarmist rhetoric & fear-mongering," they wrote today. "Why would Anons take out power grids when lives depend on them?"

Security expert Christopher Soghoian displayed skepticism about the NSA warning, too. "I'm confused," he tweeted, "What will happen in next year or 2 to give anonymous ability to hack power grid. Either the grid is secure or insecure."

The Journal article, following the line of "U.S. intelligence officials" lumped together Anonymous into a new cyber axis of evil that consisted of al Qaeda operatives, Chinese cyberspies, Russian cyberspies, and ... a bunch of random people in IRC rooms using relatively unsophisticated denial-of-service attacks.

Here is the Atlantic on this.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... us/253399/

Regardless of their title, Anon has no intentions of this. My question is why are they starting this bullshit? Is this another drumbeat? It sounds like rhetoric for a WMD of another country.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. ~Fight Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:21 pm 
Archon

I don't know, but they have been setting up a war with "th3 haxxor5" for a long time. Don't forget that shortly after 9/11 they made hacking an official act of terrorism. At the time it could have potentially meant that you could get a life sentence for defacing a geocities website, now that I think about it, it probably now means you can be held indefinitely without trial.

Fun times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm 
Nomarch

TheAmericanNomad wrote:
I don't know, but they have been setting up a war with "th3 haxxor5" for a long time. Don't forget that shortly after 9/11 they made hacking an official act of terrorism. At the time it could have potentially meant that you could get a life sentence for defacing a geocities website, now that I think about it, it probably now means you can be held indefinitely without trial.

Fun times.

My thoughts exactly. I think this is going to be a big story. I got more. One sec.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
Nomarch

Here is a pdf copy from Raw Story of DHS assessment of Anon and company. They suggested the same thing 4 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:41 pm 
Nomarch

No shit, Pentagon states that cyber attacks are act of war.

Called it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op_N_M6AlhE&feature=g-all-u&context=G275ea14FAAAAAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:30 pm 
Satrap

Quote:
No shit, Pentagon states that cyber attacks are act of war.

Umm...under certain cicumstances you god damned right they are.

"I try to be creative and have some quips, with a unique viewpoint, especially among denizens of this board. That makes me Ryan Leif. But someone who spews the typical mainstream media viewpoint pablum which anyone could get from 75% of the rest of the board with the wit of a Superbowl ad from the 80's, is Peyton Manning. The double standard is alive and strong."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 pm 
Hetairoi

Anonymous Hacks Greek Ministry Website, Demands IMF Withdrawal, Threatens It Will Wipe Away All Citizen Debts

Quote:
If there is one war that Greece could not afford to join, that is with the global computer hacking collective known as Anonymous. Yet as of minutes ago, that is precisley what happened, after Anonymous, as part of what it now calls Operation Greece, took down the Greek Ministry of Justice (http://www.ministryofjustice.gr/). While the pretext for the hacking appears to have been an arrest of the wrong people, is seems to have angered Anonymous to the point where they have left an extended message of demands on the Greek website, warning that unless the IMF withdraws from the country and the government resigns, all debts of Greek citizens will be wiped clean.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 pm 
Hetairoi

TheAmericanNomad wrote:
If they go to war with Anonymous they will lose. Ineffective, over bloated government filled with old dudes that hardly understand "the interwebs" going against an untold number of anonymous people who grew up during the computer revolution, fighting in the virtual realm?

I don't know if the government is stupid enough to try, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

Not so sure.

The spooks will grab one of these fucks and rendition him to a Syrian prison to be "harshly interrogated" until he agrees to be a mole and help catch the rest of anon.

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 pm 
Satrap

Maybe they'll just take down the NSA's power grid.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 pm 
Archon

boethius wrote:
TheAmericanNomad wrote:

Not so sure.

The spooks will grab one of these fucks and rendition him to a Syrian prison to be "harshly interrogated" until he agrees to be a mole and help catch the rest of anon.

Meh, I doubt Anon members personally know many other Anon members.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 pm 
Satrap

TheAmericanNomad wrote:
boethius wrote:
TheAmericanNomad wrote:

Not so sure.

Meh, I doubt Anon members personally know many other Anon members.

Might be true but anon as a group has backed downfrom the threat of violence in the past. Remember they said something about attacking the Mexican cartels and then quickly backed down after seeing what they do to warriors of the web.

"I try to be creative and have some quips, with a unique viewpoint, especially among denizens of this board. That makes me Ryan Leif. But someone who spews the typical mainstream media viewpoint pablum which anyone could get from 75% of the rest of the board with the wit of a Superbowl ad from the 80's, is Peyton Manning. The double standard is alive and strong."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:30 am 
Nomarch

boethius wrote:
TheAmericanNomad wrote:

Not so sure.

Won't work. The idea of Anonymous is just that. I don't know you, you don't know me, if you start asking questions, I know you're a cop.

At least from what I understand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 am 
Nomarch

TheAmericanNomad wrote:

I don’t want to sound too tin-foil-hat’y but I keep coming back to this nagging feeling

You’re assuming the purpose of the “war” would be to win the war
I’m looking at it a bit differently

Say you were the head staff of a division of government tasked with the mission of signal intelligence and information warfare (listening in on international communications, and keeping other parts of the government from getting hacked)
Now say you feel you’re being shackled with inefficiencies because of the nebulous and uncontrolled nature of the internet. You don’t think you can effectively do your job with the internet being the way it is. Maybe you’re even worried that some other department might phase you out.
And now put all that in an environment where budget cuts, reductions, and belt tightening are the main talk of the day.

Would you be looking desperately for a reason to justify your division?
Think of all the people that are depending on you,
Think of your mission, it’s important and only you can do it,
Think of your pay check.
What you need is a reason keep operating, a reason to expand control over the internet and remove barriers that are keeping you from doing your job. And most importantly a reason that’s not going to dry up and blow away in a couple years.
You need an enemy. An enemy that can scare the shit out of the public at large, and more importantly scare the shit out of the congress people that set your budgets and write laws on how much you can get way with. And even better if that enemy is nebulous, secretive, and could be anyone or anywhere.

Now if you had an even slightly devious mind (you are the head of a department of spies after all) how tempting would it be to send your people out and find every boast a hacker ever made, every loudmouth who was touting his L33T SKILZ, every harebrained idea for how to cause chaos for the lulz. And then spoon feed them to congress, and inflate them to sound like the next al qaeda. Hell you could convince them the war on terror is involved some how.
And like magic you get to keep your department, and your paycheck, and spend the next couple decades chasing hackers around the interwebs prosecuting the war on cybercrime.

As for winning the “war” why would you want to?

4.Attitude polarization. Exposing subjects to an apparently balanced set of pro and con arguments will exaggerate their initial polarization.
5.Attitude strength effect. Subjects voicing stronger attitudes will be more prone to the above biases.
6.Sophistication effect. Politically knowledgeable subjects, because they possess greater ammunition with which to counter-argue incongruent facts and arguments, will be more prone to the above biases.

- Charles S. Taber & Milton Lodge - Motivated Skepticism in the Evaluation of Political Beliefs