* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:38 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: NPR to ditch the falsehood of BALANCE, instead embrace T
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
Hetairoi

In modern times Mr. Rodgers would be under investigation.

The days of Mr. Rodgers, Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans is long over. Now it's the era of Sponge Bob Square pants (and I still have no fucking idea what that show is supposed to teach) along with other A.D.D. programing.
:shakinghead:

My biggest issue with Fox came along during the beginning of the Iraq war.

The guest host was Ann Coulter (crazy train) and she made a comment that anyone protesting the war was a traitor and should be dealt with as such. The other hosts agreed and added that to question a war time president should be a crime.

Now fast forward to present time.

Fox continuously bashes Obama over the war and questions him daily,

What happened to not questioning a war time president? Guess that only counts if the war time president has a R before his name.

Oh Wait, You're Serious? Let Me Laugh Even Harder!

-"No matter how bad things seem--- "
"They could be worse."
"Nope. No matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things fucking are, and you better get used to it, Nancy. Quit yer bitching."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 pm 

raistian77 wrote:
In modern times Mr. Rodgers would be under investigation.

The days of Mr. Rodgers, Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans is long over. Now it's the era of Sponge Bob Square pants (and I still have no fucking idea what that show is supposed to teach) along with other A.D.D. programing.
:shakinghead:

My biggest issue with Fox came along during the beginning of the Iraq war.

The guest host was Ann Coulter (crazy train) and she made a comment that anyone protesting the war was a traitor and should be dealt with as such. The other hosts agreed and added that to question a war time president should be a crime.

Now fast forward to present time.

Fox continuously bashes Obama over the war and questions him daily,

What happened to not questioning a war time president? Guess that only counts if the war time president has a R before his name.

It's sad that we have to look at Mr. Rogers from a modern lens; a lens in which any man who has compassion for children and wishes to teach them simple life lessons is a Sandusky.

The man was simply good human:

This is the best time of day, the dawn, the final cleansing breath unsullied yet by acrid fumes or death's cacophony, the rank refuse of unchained ambition. And pray, deny me not, but know me now: your faithful retainer stands resolute to serve his liege Lord without recompense, perchance to fall and perish namelessly. No flag draped bier or muffled drum to set the cadence for a final dress parade. But it was not always thus, remember? Once you worshiped me and named me a God in many tongues, lest I exact too terrible a tribute.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 pm 
Hetairoi

Oh, I agree

Hopefully not dating myself to badly, I grew up watching him and Sesame Street and many other programs that are gone and mostly forgotten.

Oh Wait, You're Serious? Let Me Laugh Even Harder!

-"No matter how bad things seem--- "
"They could be worse."
"Nope. No matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things fucking are, and you better get used to it, Nancy. Quit yer bitching."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm 
Contributing Member

Everybody is so afraid of everyone else because of the way the media reports on everything. If I based my view of people who work with children on what I see on TV I'd assume that at least half are pedophiles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 am 
Contributing Member

I listened to the All Things Considered podcast back during the 2008 election. While what I heard may not have been representative of the whole program, it was enough to turn me off. One show in particular had me fuming. The topic was "Politically Divided Households", and callers were supposed to describe what it was like to be opposed to your spouse's viewpoints. HOWEVER, all the calls ended up being one partner who liked Hillary, the other who liked Obama. It wasn't a matter of liberal or conservative, it was just which particular flavor of liberal you wanted to be. I found this to be a complete waste of my time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:34 pm 
Nomarch

I wonder if one of the All Things They Considered was to pay back the taxpayers for all the years they pretended to be unbiased. Since they're out of the closet now and mostly self-sufficent we should put them on a monthly payment plan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm 
Hetairoi

hondo69 wrote:
I wonder if one of the All Things They Considered was to pay back the taxpayers for all the years they pretended to be unbiased. Since they're out of the closet now and mostly self-sufficent we should put them on a monthly payment plan.

Exactly. NPR should be financially punished for attempting to be less partisan than other news outlets.

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
Archon

I think Sean Hannity ought to be given a Presidential Medal of Freedom and a fifteen million dollar Arts and Culture Grant for his dedication to partisanship and hackery. That will show those evil NPR folk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:40 am 
Nomarch

Though the above two posts are obviously sarcastic I might argue there's a hint of truth hiding in there somewhere.

NPR proudly boasts "we are unbiased" but we all know that's about as far from the truth as Obama saying he's looking out for the little guy. Sean Hannity claims to be fair and balanced but is obviously nothing of the sort. Both parties are engaging in the exact same bait and switch tactics, just from opposite sides of the fence.

So yes, providing Sean Hannity with 5% federal funding would be a fair and equitable use of taxpayer dollars.

And it would tickle me to no end to watch the liberals quaking in their Birkenstocks as some Republican Congressman introduces a bill to provide federal funding for Fox News. Now would actually be an opportune time to introduce such a bill. It would shift the national conversation away from the goofball demanding her university pay for her birth control pills. Fluke, Flouk, Flick, whatever the hell her name is could testify before Congress just as if she's Rosa Parks and explain why Fox News has ruined her life. I might even switch my TV over from American Pickers and Swamp People to watch that circus show.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 am 
Archon

NPR = Sean Hannity . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The entire text of war and peace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:04 am 
Archon

drtrech wrote:
NPR = Sean Hannity . . .

Dementia comes in all forms. Even Alice in Wonderlan Syndrome 293.89.

:snicker:

HJK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:18 am 
Archon

godslabrat wrote:
I listened to the All Things Considered podcast back during the 2008 election. While what I heard may not have been representative of the whole program, it was enough to turn me off. One show in particular had me fuming. The topic was "Politically Divided Households", and callers were supposed to describe what it was like to be opposed to your spouse's viewpoints. HOWEVER, all the calls ended up being one partner who liked Hillary, the other who liked Obama. It wasn't a matter of liberal or conservative, it was just which particular flavor of liberal you wanted to be. I found this to be a complete waste of my time.

Are you sure that ALL the calls ended up as a Hillary vs Obama situation? Or was that your skewed perception?
Is it possible that you didn't listen to the entire show?
Is it possible that the actual stated focus of the show was intentionally that narrow as it was covering the Democratic primaries, and so the calls were consistent with the intended and stated scope of the show?

Without hearing the show, there's no way to know if it's the show that was biased, or your perception of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:52 am 
Hetairoi

drtrech wrote:
Are you sure that ALL the calls ended up as a Hillary vs Obama situation? Or was that your skewed perception?
Is it possible that the actual stated focus of the show was intentionally that narrow as it was covering the Democratic primaries, and so the calls were consistent with the intended and stated scope of the show?
The listener base of NPR skews left (in part due to the right wing mentality that it is evil). If they were doing call ins, it is entirely possible the callers also skewed left. I'm not sure what deep value he expected from a call in of families talking about internal political differences anyway. It seems like a silly topic to begin with. I don't really know that it makes sense to blame NPR other than for the silly topic choice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:02 am 
Archon

Atanamis wrote:
drtrech wrote:
The listener base of NPR skews left (in part due to the right wing mentality that it is evil). If they were doing call ins, it is entirely possible the callers also skewed left. I'm not sure what deep value he expected from a call in of families talking about internal political differences anyway. It seems like a silly topic to begin with. I don't really know that it makes sense to blame NPR other than for the silly topic choice.

Agreed.

My only real point was that we don't know this wasn't a case of confirmation bias.

Anecdote is anecdote.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 am 
Archon

Harry K wrote:
drtrech wrote:
NPR = Sean Hannity . . .

Dementia comes in all forms. Even Alice in Wonderlan Syndrome 293.89.

:snicker:

To the right-wing, uneducated, indoctrinated zealot anyone to the left of Hannity is a goddamn liberal.

lulz