Most Evil man in modern history

Debate aspects of historical knowledge that are open to interpretation

Moderators: Loki, robroydude, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, Spinny Spamkiller

Most Evil man in modern history

Postby Runicmadhamster » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 pm

OK i concede that this topic may have been raised before but i am to lazy to scroll through 4 pages of discussion topics to find it so here goes( i also know that 4 pages is not a lot, don't judge me time management is not my strong point)

I was having a debate with my friend the other day and the topic of who (or whom) the most evil man in modern history may be. Every one of my friends simultaneously said Hitler ( i do not joke that all pretty much said it at the same time). i laughed and said that i believed the most evil man in modern history ( modern history for me starts at 1900 and is still going on to the present date) was Joseph Stalin. i said i believed this because he killed more people than Hitler, staved his own people for money ( the so called "great Famine"), adopted a brutal wartime no retreat policy and condemned Russian POW to death on return to Soviet Russia, oh and was planning world war 3 with nukes ( lucky he died when he did). at this point the discussion with my friends ceased to be relevant to the topic, but it did raise a very good question. just who (or whom) was the most evil man/woman in modern history, was it Stalin, Hitler or Someone else entirely. what are your thoughts.
Cheers
Runicmadhamster :)
Runicmadhamster
Satrap

Re: Most Evil man in modern history

Postby TheRidge » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 am

What is your criteria for evil ?
If you solely base it on the largest number for people killed, then I think Mao Zedong has Hitler and Stalin beat together.

Mao's Great Leap Forward 'killed 45 million in four years'
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 81630.html
There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann.
How to Solve It, George Pólya

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later, Philip K. Dick

Drop in, post something, fight, get pissed off, and then find out you learned something along the way. You will find that is often a pattern you will go through in the D.C.F. ~ TheRidge
TheRidge
Satrap

Postby StCapps » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 am

In terms of the pure number of people killed Mao has his fellow genocidal maniacs beat but it's safe to say that him, Stalin and Hitler are the evil man triumvirate of the 20th Century.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Waleis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:46 am

A person can do evil things but still be a moral person. At the same time, an evil person can do good things. Would you, for example, call Truman evil for nuking those Japanese islands? Would you consider Charlemagne evil for slaughtering all those Saxons in the Netherlands and northern Germany?

This question isn't as simple as it appears.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Flynn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:56 am

I'm voting for this old guy:

:snicker: (Very few of you will get the joke) :lol:
So as long as there are a handful of americans allied with terrorist organizations we will continue this surveillance of all americans and these wartime authorities to detain enemy combatants indefinitely... or execute them summarily...

...Because terrorists might take their puny little militaries and conquer our country.

This is a war on fleas.

-DrYouth
Flynn
Nomarch

Postby Waleis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:02 am

Flynn wrote:I'm voting for this old guy:

The most evil, and hilarious, man alive today. :goteam:

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby StCapps » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 am

Waleis wrote:

The Great Hetairoi Troll
:snicker: :lol: :snicker:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby chris_s918 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 am

Has tone mohamud killed more then stallin and communist china and hitler ever will with his evilness same for Jesus
chris_s918
Contributing Member

Postby The Road Rascal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 am

chris_s918 wrote:Has tone mohamud killed more then stallin and communist china and hitler ever will with his evilness same for Jesus

While horrific acts have been committed in their names, the men themselves weren't anything like Stalin, Hitler, or Mao. Jesus never even led military forces, and Muhammad was quite merciful in war by the standards of his time.
The Road Rascal
Nomarch

Postby Waleis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 am

chris_s918 wrote:Has tone mohamud killed more then stallin and communist china and hitler ever will with his evilness same for Jesus

Nothing on God's green Earth is more evil than your atrocious grammar.

Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Harry K » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 am

If they only gave DB a window in that airless IT dungeon. :snicker:
:hiding:
Some advice though, Henry (Harry) K is a sophisticated troll.

aaronparr
Harry K
Archon

Postby chris_s918 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:43 am

Well Stalin and hitler killed less the most military personal do all the killing was done in sones ones name in ww2 sans for Jesus and mahamod they were done in there names the wonderful crusades n whipping out villages due you choose my faith or die it's easier to call Stalin at least a good man he wanted to weed out the week in his ppl got to keep them strong .unlike the big two they try to control every aspect of everything hitler just wanted loyalty and all that jazZ
chris_s918
Contributing Member

Postby Waleis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 am

chris_s918 wrote:Well Stalin and hitler killed less the most military personal do all the killing was done in sones ones name in ww2 sans for Jesus and mahamod they were done in there names the wonderful crusades n whipping out villages due you choose my faith or die it's easier to call Stalin at least a good man he wanted to weed out the week in his ppl got to keep them strong .unlike the big two they try to control every aspect of everything hitler just wanted loyalty and all that jazZ

Nothing on God's green Earth is more evil than your atrocious grammar.

Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby Destroyer25 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:08 am

You've got my support on the Hitler-Stalin debate. The latter was way worse IMO.

I'm a Canadian and Proud! I'm left on some issues and right on other. I'm not quite sure if there's a term to describe that. XD But if the PC was still around I'd be voting for them!
Destroyer25
Contributing Member

Postby DBTrek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 am

Bastard!

I have a salt mine waiting for you . .. and your neighbors.
:snicker:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Next

Return to Historical Controversies