American plan to attack Britain, Canada in the 1930's

Discuss new discoveries of historical significance

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

American plan to attack Britain, Canada in the 1930's

Postby DBTrek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 am

Article by the Daily Mail:

Details of an amazing American military plan for an attack to wipe out a major part of the British Army are today revealed for the first time.

In 1930, a mere nine years before the outbreak of World War Two, America drew up proposals specifically aimed at eliminating all British land forces in Canada and the North Atlantic, thus destroying Britain's trading ability and bringing the country to its knees.

Previously unparalleled troop movements were launched as an overture to an invasion of Canada, which was to include massive bombing raids on key industrial targets and the use of chemical weapons, the latter signed off at the highest level by none other than the legendary General Douglas MacArthur.

The plans, revealed in a Channel 5 documentary, were one of a number of military contingency plans drawn up against a number of potential enemies, including the Caribbean islands and China. There was even one to combat an internal uprising within the United States.

In the end there was no question of President Franklin D. Roosevelt subscribing to what was known as War Plan Red. Instead the two countries became the firmest of allies during WW2, an occasionally strained alliance that continues to this day.
Still, it is fascinating that there were enough people inside the American political and military establishment who thought that such a war was feasible.

While outside of America, both Churchill and Hitler also thought it a possibility during the 30s - a time of deep economic and political uncertainty.

In 1931, the U.S. government even authorised record-breaking transatlantic flying hero and known Nazi sympathiser Charles A. Lindbergh to be sent covertly as a spy to the west shore of Hudson Bay to investigate the possibility of using sea-planes for warfare and seek out points of low resistance as potential bridgeheads.

Four years later, the U.S. Congress authorised $57million to be allocated for the building of three secret airfields on the U.S. side of the Canadian border, with grassed-over landing strips to hide their real purpose.

All governments make 'worst case scenario' contingency plans which are kept under wraps from the public. These documents were unearthed buried deep within the American National Archives in Washington, D.C. - a top-secret document once regarded as the most sensitive on earth. . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2039453/How-America-planned-destroy-BRITAIN-1930-bombing-raids-chemical-weapons.html
DBTrek
Archon

Re: American plan to attack Britain, Canada in the 1930's

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:39 am

Err.. yeah. The Rainbow War Plans are well known. The Canadians had their own war plan, by the way. They sent Canadians down to surveil and formulate the plan. I think it involved sending flying columns down to harass American troops long enough for British regulars to make it to New Newfoundland and into the Hudson Bay.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby DBTrek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 am

How are they well known if the Daily Mail is claiming the information was realeased for the first time today?
DBTrek
Archon

Postby BjornP » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:43 am

DBTrek wrote:How are they well known if the Daily Mail is claiming the information was released for the first time today?

Wether or not it was well known, I can't say, but there's a possibility it could be at least known. The article doesn't say released , after all.

From one of the article captions:

The top-secret papers seen here - once regarded as the most sensitive on Earth - were found buried deep within the American National Archives in Washington, D.C.

In other words, not released for the first time. Just re-discovered now. Depending on how this document was classified, it could have been made available to the public or research a decade ago. Just because something's been made "available", though, doesn't mean you (the public) know it's there.

I don't know your FOA all that well, but I can imagine that your various (state and national) archives releases a list each year detailing which previously classified documents have been made de-classified after so and so years. Who actually reads those lists, however, and how broadly user friendly they are, and in what detail they describe the contents of the de-classified material, are all things that can be assumed to impact how well the public can locate and take advantage of those de-classified documents.
The thief thinks all men steal.
BjornP
Satrap

Postby Flipowitz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 pm

DBTrek wrote:How are they well known if the Daily Mail is claiming the information was realeased for the first time today?

Doc's right. We had a color for every contingency. This is way old news. Perhaps the Daily Mail shouldn't get its "news" from television:
The Daily Mail wrote:The plans, revealed in a Channel 5 documentary....

Come on, Mister DB history major, you never heard of Plan Orange? We actually used that one.
:snicker:
Last edited by Flipowitz on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.
Flipowitz
Satrap

Postby DBTrek » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Sadly my BA in Hiostory neglected to cover all aspects of the entirety of human history.
Maybe I should apply for a refund.
DBTrek
Archon

Postby boethius » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:35 pm

How long before Smitty shows up to poke holes in the plan.....?
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby StCapps » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:40 pm

I started a thread on War Plan Red a while back and the plan has been well known for a long time. This certainly doesn't qualify as a new discovery, the Daily Mail duped you DBTrek. :snicker:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby Atanamis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:48 pm

StCapps wrote:I started a thread on War Plan Red a while back and the plan has been well known for a long time. This certainly doesn't qualify as a new discovery, the Daily Mail duped you DBTrek. :snicker:
Yeah, at the time I told you to ask DBTrek about how to start a good thread. Since he has focused on the same topic (months later), I guess we will see whether DBTrek can spin this topic any better. Unfortunately, he has failed to drag libertarianism or religion into it yet, so this thread might die out quickly as well...
Atanamis
Hetairoi

Postby Screechy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Flipowitz wrote:Come on, Mister DB history major, you never heard of Plan Orange? We actually used that one.

Not to mention War Plan White, aka Operation Garden Plot. That one got dusted off twice in the past 20 years.
Georgian Jeffersonian
Screechy
Contributing Member

Postby Flipowitz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Up next, a fox discusses Sour Grapes.
StCapps wrote:I started a thread on War Plan Red a while back and the plan has been well known for a long time. This certainly doesn't qualify as a new discovery, the Daily Mail duped you DBTrek. :snicker:
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.
Flipowitz
Satrap

Postby boethius » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Atanamis wrote:
Yeah, at the time I told you to ask DBTrek about how to start a good thread. Since he has focused on the same topic (months later), I guess we will see whether DBTrek can spin this topic any better. Unfortunately, he has failed to drag libertarianism or religion into it yet, so this thread might die out quickly as well...

Doc and Smitty could get into a military nerd-off over whether a 1930s era US military could have successfully invaded Canada...
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby StCapps » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Flipowitz wrote:Up next, a fox discusses Sour Grapes.
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby StCapps » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:05 pm

boethius wrote:Doc and Smitty could get into a military nerd-off over whether a 1930s era US military could have successfully invaded Canada...
Keep your fingers crossed. :geek:
*yip*
StCapps
Hetairoi

Postby audadvnc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Screechy wrote:Not to mention War Plan White, aka Operation Garden Plot. That one got dusted off twice in the past 20 years.

Operation What?! :BMR:

"Annex A, section B of Operation Garden Plot defines tax protesters, militia groups, religious cults, and general anti-government dissenters as Disruptive Elements. This calls for the deadly force to be used against any extremist or dissident perpetrating any and all forms of civil disorder."

"...hereby provides for America's military and the National Guard State Partnership Program to join with United Nations personal in said operations. This links selected U.S. National Guard units with the Defense Ministries of "Partnership For Peace." This was done in an effort to provide military support to civil authorities in response to civil emergencies."

http://www.uhuh.com/control/garden.htm

Nice. :hurl: Ya learn something new every day. The best part? "The original printing was of June 1, 1984..."

I love Big Brother! :hugs:
"A generation which ignores history has no past – and no future." — Robert A. Heinlein
audadvnc
Nomarch

Next

Return to New Discoveries