George Lucas's Red Tails

Discuss new discoveries of historical significance

Moderators: Loki, robroydude, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, Spinny Spamkiller

George Lucas's Red Tails

Postby Nergol » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:04 pm

From the historical theater department, the first trailer for Red Tails is out:
Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion!
Nergol
Hetairoi

Re: George Lucas's Red Tails

Postby The Mad Zeppelineer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Effects look pretty decent. I hope Lucas didn't write that much of the screenplay.

The dialog seems to consist entirely of cliches. But heck. That didnt stop me from enjoying "Flyboys". Bring it on!
Oh, the humanity...
The Mad Zeppelineer
Satrap

Postby fieldcrow52 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I really want to see it.
Kind of put off by WWII aerial CGI since seeing Pearl Harbor (ghastly film - no Tora Tora Tora for sure), but don't know what any practical alternative would be.
I thought Memphis Belle was good.
I wish Spielberg had made Red Tails instead of Lucas (my favorite Star Wars was the 'first' one - the one without CGI). It would still have had Lucas Film CGI though. At least probably.
Also, I hope it's not a 'politically correct' comic book version of the Tuskeegee Airmen's real story. There's honor & drama enough in that.
But Red Tail P-51s blasting ME-262s to smithereens does look pretty great in the trailer.
Hell I'll go see it just for that.
Didn't really like Fly Boys at all (old enough to have seen Blue Max in the theatre).
But it at least had a caricature of 1st African American combat aviator ever - Eugene Bullard.
His life story is just incredible and would make one hell of a movie.
"I don't worry 'bout a thing, cause I know nothing's gone be all right." - Mose Allison
fieldcrow52

Postby NickDupree » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:09 pm

"George Lucas' 'Red T..."
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:

RS PLC.
Disney
Marvel Entertainment
Nick

"Unhappy events abroad have retaught us two simple truths about the liberty of a democratic people. The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any other controlling private power." – President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Simple Truths message to Congress (April 29, 1938)
NickDupree
Resident Medicaid Wonk

Postby AverageJoe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:14 am

Make sure you see it before he starts rewriting it and releasing "special editions" every few years.
Misinformed. Ignorant. Perpetually Mad.
That's the new American way.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

"I'm too old to be governed by the fear of dumb people" -Charlie Skinner

My Political Compass
AverageJoe
Satrap

Postby Quasigriz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm

The physics of cgi in all film is usually crap. This one does not seem to be an exception.
Griz

“We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-Edward R. Murrow

My political compass score
Quasigriz
Hetairoi

Postby Penner » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:40 pm

NickDupree wrote:"George Lucas' 'Red T..."
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:

RS PLC.
Disney
Marvel Entertainment

Try this:

This trailer does look good but the trailer for the Phantom Menace also looked good (then again, back then we didn't know how atrocious and offensive Jar Jar Binks will be):

Penner
Nomarch

Postby audadvnc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:27 pm

It's a paper thin story, relying on childish emotions to bolster a deeply slanted bias toward the American Exceptionalist worldview. But the CGI looks okay, I suppose.
"A generation which ignores history has no past – and no future." — Robert A. Heinlein
audadvnc
Nomarch

Postby Cid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes, in fact George Lucas said it was a propaganda film. He said that. Those are his words. Lawls.
“Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known.”

~Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Cid
Hetairoi

Return to New Discoveries