* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:05 pm

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What Do You Make of Russia Times Promotion of RP?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 am 
Nomarch

This is actually becoming a concern of mine. RT repeatedly promotes anti-federal govt agents in the US. I am not sure what to make of it???

Thomas Jefferson - 1816

Post subject: Re: What Do You Make of Russia Times Promotion of RP?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:52 am 

Russia probably doesn't want to get involved in a nuclear war any time soon so they back the only candidate who isn't a warmonger. Plus if Russia is trying to destabilize the US through propaganda all they really need to do is tell the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am 
Contributing Member

kybkh wrote:
This is actually becoming a concern of mine. RT repeatedly promotes anti-federal govt agents in the US. I am not sure what to make of it???

Payback is a bitch. We've all seen how effective Voice of America and Radio Free Europe was/is.

Americans won't buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm 
Hetairoi

@churper:

Kokesh is a combat veteran. His loyalty to the United States is not in question. Kokesh received the Combat Action Ribbon and the Navy Commendation Medal after his honorable discharge from active duty.

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm 
Nomarch

Look, combat vet or not being a paid agent of a foreign govt to criticize your own govt does not lend much ethos to your argument.

I suspect, much like stated above RT's sole purpose is to promote negative propaganda. Which in turn makes me feel a little compromised.

If I was Russia and I wanted America to withdraw from the Stans and I knew doing so militarily was not an option what would be the best way to go about it?

Thomas Jefferson - 1816

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm 
Contributing Member

Waleis wrote:
@churper:

Kokesh is a combat veteran. His loyalty to the United States is not in question. Kokesh received the Combat Action Ribbon and the Navy Commendation Medal after his honorable discharge from active duty.

Good for him, proves nothing of the measure of his loyality. Everyone who has a gripe has a price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
Hetairoi

First of all, RT = Russia Today (not Russia Times)

Secondly, RT reports on a wide variety of stories which are left out of the US mainstream media. They tend to rail against US foreign policy, as does most of the developed world. After all, Russia Today's self description is "RT is the first Russian 24/7 English-language news channel which brings the Russian view on global news." So we should probably expect the channel to reflect the "Russian view on global news." I think RT capture a good snippet of major world events and effectively gives the Russian view. So, while it is a good news source, you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt. It's the same with any other foreign news source, and to be completely frank, you must do the same with American media (which doesn't give nearly the scope of international coverage as the foreign channels do). I mean Al Jazeera English has an anti-American slant, yet they still are an award-winning media outlet (Qatari state-funded no less). I have tremendous respect for the Al Jazeera guys ... they go into the war zones, lose reporters to enemy fire and all that. At the end of the day, you should ALWAYS take your news with a grain of salt and consider the source, whether it's American, Russian or Qatari. But on average, the foreign media outlets are chocked full of far more factual information than our domestic news services here in the US. And I find tremendous value in that fact.

Lastly, I regard RT's promotion of Ron Paul about as highly as I regard the US media's rejection of him ... which is not very highly. I don't watch the nightly news for recommendations on the candidate I should vote for. I watch for the factual content regarding local, national and global events.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm 
Nomarch

kybkh wrote:
Look, combat vet or not being a paid agent of a foreign govt to criticize your own govt does not lend much ethos to your argument.

I suspect, much like stated above RT's sole purpose is to promote negative propaganda. Which in turn makes me feel a little compromised.

If I was Russia and I wanted America to withdraw from the Stans and I knew doing so militarily was not an option what would be the best way to go about it?

have you actually watched RT?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:34 pm 
Nomarch

Sure I have watched it, tons. Lew Rockwell, dr. Doom all kinds of great interviews.

Nevertheless, if you are paid by a foreign govt you credentials are tainted.

Just like if a news reporter were married to the fed chairman. That fact alone taints everything they say.

Thomas Jefferson - 1816

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm 
Hetairoi

kybkh wrote:
Sure I have watched it, tons. Lew Rockwell, dr. Doom all kinds of great interviews.

Nevertheless, if you are paid by a foreign govt you credentials are tainted.

Just like if a news reporter were married to the fed chairman. That fact alone taints everything they say.

Al Jazeera Wins George Polk Award
In this case, a state-funded (Qatar) media network won an American journalism award. While state funding may be frightening to some people, it is not ALWAYS a limiting factor.

Quote:
Al Jazeera-English and Sara Ganim, the reporter who broke open the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal at Penn State, were among the winners of George Polk Awards in Journalism, announced Sunday by Long Island University.

Ganim is a 24-year old crime reporter for the Harrisburg Patriot-News whose dogged pursuit of a grand jury investigation helped her uncover one of the biggest scandals in the history of college athletics. She won for Sports Reporting.

The reporting of Ganim and some of her colleagues was instrumental in uncovering a lurid history of alleged sexual abuse and rape by former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, a loyal lieutenant of Joe Paterno.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm 
Hetairoi

Combat veteran criticizes government, therefore he is a traitor. Shit, I wish I could get a gig like that...paid to say what I've always been saying.

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
Satrap

Imagine Texas and Kansas left the United States and shortly thereafter Russia started installing military bases in Texas and meddling in the internal politics of our former breadbasket, Kansas. Imagine we started suffering terrorist attacks based in Mexico and were told "any intervention in Mexican affairs will be regarded as a direct attack on Moscow".

This is what the United States has done with Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan, Ukraine and Georgia, respectively.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:36 pm 
Archon

Glasperlenspieler wrote:
Imagine Texas and Kansas left the United States and shortly thereafter Russia started installing military bases in Texas and meddling in the internal politics of our former breadbasket, Kansas. Imagine we started suffering terrorist attacks based in Mexico and were told "any intervention in Mexican affairs will be regarded as a direct attack on Moscow".

This is what the United States has done with Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan, Ukraine and Georgia, respectively.

Don't forget the ABM shield being deployed in Texas, Cuba and Mexico, ostensibly to "defend Latin America from a Canadian attack".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 am 
Nomarch

I am still amazed that Russia has allowed our presence in this region for so long. I can imagine 2 reasons:

1. They are still far from matching the USA in advanced non-WMD weaponry. (mainly a navy)

2. I get the picture they are just sitting back and watching a wooly mammoth thrash around in the Afghan tar pit.

I guess a third could be the profits they are reaping from the rise in natural resources caused by the destabilization of the region.

Also, no one called the dude a traitor. You can't argue his voice isn't compromised by who is cutting his paycheck though can you?

Thomas Jefferson - 1816

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 am 
Nomarch

Sounds to me like a group of people who see a candidate whose views are in line with what they want to happen. As in removal of military from foreign nations, and not getting entangled in other people's business. To a Russia who views itself as the local power, and believes it should have more influence than the USA, getting a guy like Paul in office is a lot better solution than war.