We, the Web Kids

Discuss news commentaries here.

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

We, the Web Kids

Postby Mr_Noyes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 pm

I thought to share this article with you, some interesting reflections on today's generation.

Funny enough, it took me half a minute to find a translation into english and another half a minute to find it in a decent formating to post on this message board. I came to notice this article via a German friend (and thus in a german translation) and a minute after reading it I "pass" it on to some international friends. We are a network indeed.

Some tidbits, as a teaser for the whole article:

We do not ‘surf’ and the internet to us is not a ‘place’ or ‘virtual space’. The Internet to us is not something external to reality but a part of it: an invisible yet constantly present layer intertwined with the physical environment. We do not use the Internet, we live on the Internet and along it.

From the ocean of cultural events we pick the ones that suit us the most; we interact with them, we review them, we save our reviews on websites created for that purpose, which also give us suggestions of other albums, films or games that we might like. Some films, series or videos we watch together with colleagues or with friends from around the world; our appreciation of some is only shared by a small group of people that perhaps we will never meet face to face.
This is why we feel that culture is becoming simultaneously global and individual. This is why we need free access to it.
Mr_Noyes

Re: We, the Web Kids

Postby philly30 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

When wondering if the internet is a good thing or a bad thing consider this, what do governments think of it and then the opposite of that is the answer
philly30
Nomarch

Postby Waleis » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 am

Positive: The Web allows a more cosmopolitan view of the world. It increases communication. It breaks down cultural, societal, and religious barriers. It amplifies anti-authoritarian sentiment.

Negative: The Web allows the government and corporations to extend indirect control to each individual citizen, globally. Our thoughts become commodified, in an odd way...for example, advertising money can be allocated based on which keywords you use, which websites you visit, and which articles you read.

Overall, the Web is neutral. The Web's creators entertained thoughts of possible utopia, harmony, equality...they failed to see its limitations. It should be obvious now that the Web simply makes the world more complex.
"No man grows rich by kindness."-Jorah Mormont

"True heroism is you, alone, in a designated workspace. True heroism is minutes, hours, days, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care, with no one there to see or cheer." The Pale King, by D. F. Wallace.
Waleis
Hetairoi

Postby hondo69 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:55 am

I have a prediction . . .

Seems to me we'll likely see a pay-per-use web application popping up in our future. The reason being that privacy issues are raised constantly over emails, ecommerce transactions and the like. Currently, the government and others can spy on us "legally" because we are on a public domain. So, technically, me sending you an email is the same as publishing it in a newspaper. It is there for all to see and do with as they wish.

But what would happen if I paid to keep my emails private? Suppose I paid a penny per email to ensure only the intended receiver was able to read what I wrote?

For one, the prying eyes in the various national defense agencies would have a fit. Presumed terrorists (that's all of us folks) would be much harder to track. Also, you have an issue of the web itself being connected through HUBs, which are the keyswitches to the entire system. Those HUBs would have to be considered co-conspirators if anything went wrong. The issues are endless with many pitfalls associated with private usage.

So right now the internet is a free for all that allows us access to most anything we want. It also allows spammers, phishers, and hackers to root around in places they shouldn't be. This all comes at a price that is paid in real dollars by you and me. Whether we realize it or not those real dollar costs are hidden in the things we buy and in our taxes. So in the end we are already paying for the freedom of an "open" web. Would we also be willing to pay for a "closed" portion of the web?
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby boethius » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 am

hondo69 wrote:Would we also be willing to pay for a "closed" portion of the web?

AOL (and other closed systems like Prodigy) already tried this. It's not working.

Maybe if you sold a "closed" system as a privacy enhancer....but I don't know if people will pay money and inconvenience for privacy. Most people think they have nothing to hide. The serious paranoids who WOULD pay for that will probably end up on a list anyway, as subscribers to the PrivateNet.
"Boethius was the only user here to successfully piss me off IRL, and you'll notice it's been crickets from him for a while. I'm not saying he's dead now . . . but . . . :twisted:" -- DBTrek

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony
boethius
Hetairoi

Postby philly30 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 am

you can keep your emails private, there are various services and VPNs and those people are not being hauled off into prisons, one thing the internet has given us is alot of FUD from various ends of the politcal spectrum everything from the government spreading fear over terrorism to civil libertarians who anytime a politician says internet writes a blog post proclaiming the end of the internet is at hand. Also there are so called closed portions of the internet where you have to pay to get access and it works just fine, netflix is one of those things
philly30
Nomarch

Postby rwizzel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm

To pay for security (or privacy) of your information is a sucker's tax. All the security you need is free and available for those willing to take 45 minutes to do a little research. Don't pay someone to ensure your stuff is encrypted or locked away off-site. You can do that yourself. External SSD and encrypted email client and you are ready to go. As far as anonymity browsing the internet? TOR. Or just understand that your browsing habits are constantly logged anyway to include: Emails, Instant Messaging, Text Messages, phone calls, etc.. Shoot, your smart phone is already logging your friggin' whereabouts!

Email Encryption Software:
http://www.comodo.com/home/email-securi ... -email.php

Explanation about TOR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28ano ... network%29

Phones reporting your whereabouts and everything else:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe ... -of-cases/

We are seeing a change in the way this world governs it's people. Freedom of information is imperative and if the governments of the world are successful in stifling it, all that is left is propaganda. FOX.com and MSNBC.com. THAT should terrify EVERYONE.
rwizzel

Postby philly30 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:56 pm

privacy fears are way overstated, there are common sense things you can do and you will be pretty safe.
philly30
Nomarch

Postby hondo69 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:14 am

Thanks for sending those links rwizzel.

Interesting reading on some stuff I didn't know about before.
Fugitive from the law of averages
hondo69
Nomarch

Postby AgentX » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:30 pm

We can't have unbreakable privacy, that would seriously hamper law enforcement and homeland security's fight against pedophiles, the War on Terror, foreign spies. hackers and organized crime.

I know no one here is for such things, so we agree that we should set laws to outlaw encryption or at least have the government hold one the encryption keys, which of course could only be accessible with a warrant.
“Wie schnell sich “nicht jetzt” in “niemals” verwandelt…”.

-Martin Luther
AgentX
Contributing Member

Postby doc_loliday » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 am

AgentX wrote:We can't have unbreakable privacy, that would seriously hamper law enforcement and homeland security's fight against pedophiles, the War on Terror, foreign spies. hackers and organized crime.

I know no one here is for such things, so we agree that we should set laws to outlaw encryption or at least have the government hold one the encryption keys, which of course could only be accessible with a warrant.

Lame. If you have a backdoor, it's not secure. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for having encrypted data. Furthermore, legislation won't stop people from creating secure connections. Only the outlaws will have truly encrypted data, while honest folks won't.
What is wrong with you people? - Dr. Youth
doc_loliday
Hetairoi

Postby AgentX » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:05 pm

The anti-encryption laws are going to happen,

October 1, 2010
Would Wiretapping Laws Spell the End of Quantum Encryption?
http://bit.ly/xyW32Q

Electronic Data Security Act of 1997
The failed Clipper Chip legislation
http://bit.ly/AwWeoH

It's ten years later and the atmosphere has changed radically and legislation is still being pursued. It will not stop until it happens.

France is already on its way.

France As of 2011 and since 2004, the law for trust in the digital economy (LCEN)[1] mostly liberalized the use of cryptography. Especially:
As long as cryptography is only used for authentication and integrity purposes, it can be freely used. The cryptographic key or the nationality of the entities involved in the transaction do not matter. Typical e-business websites fall under this liberalized regime.
For other uses, exportation and importation to or from foreign countries must be either declared (when the other country if a member of the European Union) or requires an explicit authorization (for other countries).
“Wie schnell sich “nicht jetzt” in “niemals” verwandelt…”.

-Martin Luther
AgentX
Contributing Member

Return to News Commentaries