It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not as 'Anonymous' as they thought - LOL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:01 pm 
Archon

Quote:
FBI arrests more than a dozen in Anonymous hacking investigation

Authorities have arrested more than a dozen people today in the United States in connection with hacking attacks by the Anonymous group of online activists, sources said.

The arrests follow raids earlier in the day on homes in New York, California, New Jersey, and Florida, a law enforcement official told CBS News.

Fourteen arrests were listed in one indictment, including arrests out of San Francisco, and two other separate arrests were made in New Jersey and Florida, following raids related to between 30 to 40 search warrants, Fox News reported.

Details were not immediately available on the arrests, which a U.S. government official told CBS News about and another source confirmed to CNET. An FBI spokesman in San Francisco confirmed that "the FBI is part of a nationwide investigation" into hacking, but said he could not comment further. A spokesman with the U.S. Department of Justice in San Francisco said he could neither confirm nor deny reports of the arrests.

The decentralized Anonymous collective has been targeting computer attacks on government and corporate Web sites, including Monsanto, the Arizona Department of Public Safety, the City of Orlando, Sony, Visa, MasterCard, and PayPal, as well as government sites in Egypt, Turkey, and Tunisia. (See our chart of recent hacking attacks here.) Anonymous often issues warnings and statements saying the attacks are done to protest Internet censorship and alleged government corruption or corporate malfeasance.

The hackers primarily use distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, which are designed to temporarily cripple Web sites. To do that, they enlist supporters to use software on their computers that sends so many requests to access a target Web site that it overwhelms the site with traffic, effectively shutting it down.

There have been dozens of arrests globally related to the investigations into hacking attacks by Anonymous, but it's unclear if any key players in the group were arrested. A 16-year-old was arrested late last year in the Netherlands for the DDoS attacks on payment companies that stopped enabling whistleblower site WikiLeaks to receive donations. That was followed by five arrests in the U.K. and 40 search warrants carried out in the U.S. in January. In June, three people were arrested in Spain for an attack on a Spanish government site (a Spanish police site was then attacked in retaliation), and 32 people were arrested in Turkey a few days later.

There has also been police activity related to the LulzSec hacking group, which is believed to be a spinoff of Anonymous, with whom they have joined forces in attacks under the AntiSec banner. Nineteen-year-old Ryan Cleary was arrested and released on bail in June after being charged with participating in attacks on the U.K.'s Serious Organized Crime Agency, an AntiSec target, and other sites. LulzSec members have denied that Cleary is a member of the group, saying that he only hosted one of the group's chat rooms on his Internet Relay Chat server. Also, an Ohio home was reportedly searched in June.

LulzSec, meanwhile, has turned its sights on media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who is embroiled in a phone voice-mail-hacking scandal that led to the closure of his British tabloid The News of the World and prompted the arrest of former editor Rebekah Brooks. The hackers yesterday redirected the home page of The Sun tabloid, also owned by Murdoch, to a fake story claiming Murdoch had died and released purported phone numbers of Murdoch employees and what appeared to be an old e-mail address and password for Brooks. The hacking happened after a former News of the World journalist-turned-whistleblower was found dead.

Updated 1:36 p.m. PT with report of two additional separate arrests from Fox News, and 12:09 p.m. PT with background on Anonymous and previous arrests, FBI San Francisco comment, and LulzSec background, and 11:27 a.m. PT with FBI comment from Washington, D.C.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20080746-245/fbi-arrests-more-than-a-dozen-in-anonymous-hacking-investigation/#ixzz1SaSvajW0

How many will turn, I wonder.

Post subject: Re: Not as 'Anonymous' as the thought - LOL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:15 pm 
Satrap

DBTrek wrote:
How many will turn, I wonder.

How do you think they got a hold of these guys? They're turning each other in for packs of cigarettes to trade in jail at this point.

Fear not, I'm sure they will find new lulz in prison. :twisted:

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

"I'm too old to be governed by the fear of dumb people" -Charlie Skinner

My Political Compass

Post subject: Re: Not as 'Anonymous' as they thought - LOL
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:24 pm 
Archon

Maybe by thinning out these malthusian pretenders that people want so desperately to portray as 'Hacker Heroes' we'll actually get some real hacker heroes that have a broader vision than "Who are the easiest victims to hack for maximum lulz". I think there's a place in American culture for underground hackers playing the part of Robin Hood.

But I reject these cats who want to point at the hacker version of the Tasmanian Devil and pretend that they're Robin Hood's.

Look everyone!
It's Robin Hood!

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:44 pm 
Satrap

Hack the Planet!!!
:roll: :lol:

Seriously though, the only thing these yahoos are doing are pushing folks to literally beg the government for more control and censorship on the internet, exactly the opposite of what they claim they supposedly want.

Unless that's their hidden agenda all along, to which I say well done.

I'll say it again. Stealing and posting user/customer names and passwords and posting them online for anyone to use does nothing to the corporations and pisses off your potential support base. If anything it gets corporations and big business even more involved with the government, working on new cyber security laws and regulations.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires. -Susan B. Anthony

My Political Compass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:46 am 
Archon

You cheer on the FBI? Some anarchist you turned out to be. :wink:

Heroes get remembered but legends never die.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:01 am 
Hetairoi

Maybe they actually want to push the world into a more big brother direction so that their crusades have meaning. Self-fulfilling prophecies at least have a measure of guarantee.

~Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 am 
Archon

TheAmericanNomad wrote:

I gave up anarchy once I discovered "The Commons".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_commons

Unlike most of you, when my political philosophy is proven untenable I change it.
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 am 
Contributing Member

I like a lot of what anoymous says and some of what they do. But I feel if there is going to be a change in America then we need to do it. Not some anoymous, faceless person who may or may not be setting us up for tighter laws.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 pm 
Archon

DBTrek wrote:
TheAmericanNomad wrote:

Unlike most of you, when my political philosophy is proven untenable I change it.

So now your favorite people are the FBI?

Quite the about face.

Heroes get remembered but legends never die.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:01 am 
Satrap

and the fun continues..

Quote:
Hacker "Kayla" taken down in latest LulzSec arrests?

Police have arrested two men in the UK in connection with online attacks performed by LulzSec and Anonymous. The men, aged 20 and 24, were arrested yesterday by officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's Central e-Crime Unit (PCeU) and are accused of conspiring to commit offences under the Computer Misuse Act of 1990. Police have searched the homes of one of the men and seized computers for further examination.

The arrests came as part of a coordinated investigation involving the FBI, South Yorkshire Police, and other law enforcement agencies around the world into the activities of Anonymous and LulzSec. Police say that these latest arrests were made in connection with offenses conducted by the "Kayla" online identity.

"Kayla," who has long claimed to be a "16 year-old girl," had a prominent role in the HBGary hacks earlier this year. Specifically, "Kayla" claimed to be responsible for the social engineering of Jussi Jaakonaho, which gave the Anonymous attackers root access to a server owned and operated by Greg Hoglund, the owner and CEO of security company HBGary.

On Tuesday this week, two men aged 17 and 22 were arrested, both charged with conspiracy to do an unauthorised act in relation to a computer, with intent to impair the operation of any computer or prevent or hinder access to any program or data held in a computer or to impair the operation of any such program or the reliability of such data under the Criminal Law Act 1977. Another two, Christopher Weatherhead, aged 20, and Ashley Rhodes, 26, were charged with the same offense on Thursday. The four are due to have a bail hearing on 7th September. A 16-year-old male was also arrested.

The 14 people arrested in July by the FBI for conspiring to perform denial of service attacks against PayPal had their first court appearance yesterday, with "not guilty" pleas being entered for all 14. CNET reports that the court was anticipating protests and demonstrations similar to those that occurred recently in San Francisco, but they did not materialize. Anonymous has been particularly vocal in its online calls to free one of the 14, 20 year-old student Mercedes Haefer.

First comment after the article sums it up nicely:

Quote:
Now this Kayla can role play as a 16 year old girl in prison showers.

:lol:

I wonder who "Kayla" will flip on? I also had to laugh at the lack of support these folks getting arrested are receiving when arrested. Solidarity eh brothers? :snicker:

My Political Compass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 pm 

DBTrek wrote:
TheAmericanNomad wrote:

Rather depressing though isn't it? I remember my anarchist leanings in my youth and slowly discovering how so many things I thought I knew turned out to be incorrect. I think it's something of a turning point in life when you realize the best guarantor of individual liberty is a well controlled, representative, government.

To probably incorrectly quote Winston Churchill:

"He who is under 30 and not a liberal has no heart.
He who is over 30 and is not a conservative has no brain"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 am 
Satrap

HAHAHAHAH....remeber the infamous 'Sabu' in LULZSEC?

BREAKING: LulzSec’s Top Members Arrested Based on Informant’s Reports

Quote:
Police in the U.S., Great Britain and Ireland took the men, alleged to be top members of Lulzsec, into custody Tuesday morning. The arrests were made based on intelligence handed to police by Hector Xavier Monsegur, or “Sabu,” who is considered to be the leader of LulzSec. Monsegur had been “secretly arrested” and turned into a “cooperating witness” by the FBI, according to a Fox News report.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Political Compass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 am 
Hetairoi

DBTrek wrote:

If only you'd do the same with your undergarments... :althurl:

"How about you just suck on a cyanide lollipop and spare us your fucking hyperbole you whining little nancy?" -- Cid

"If Dan had a lick of sense he'd have booted your pompous ass ages ago." - RAnthony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 am 
Archon

boethius wrote:
DBTrek wrote:

If only you'd do the same with your undergarments... :althurl:

So your mom isn't the only one with firsthand intimate knowledge of DBTrek's dainty underthings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am 
Archon

AverageJoe wrote:
HAHAHAHAH....remeber the infamous 'Sabu' in LULZSEC?

BREAKING: LulzSec’s Top Members Arrested Based on Informant’s Reports

Quote:
Police in the U.S., Great Britain and Ireland took the men, alleged to be top members of Lulzsec, into custody Tuesday morning. The arrests were made based on intelligence handed to police by Hector Xavier Monsegur, or “Sabu,” who is considered to be the leader of LulzSec. Monsegur had been “secretly arrested” and turned into a “cooperating witness” by the FBI, according to a Fox News report.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who's LULZ'ing now?!?!

Raise your hand if your shocked by the utter cowardice displayed by self styled 'hackers' as soon as they no longer have a screen to cower behind. Sabu is selling punks down the river like it's 1804 and the plantations are in full bloom.

These are your heroes, a bunch of misanthropic nerds that feel no sense of loyalty, shame, or commitment to any cause greater than saving their own malthusian asses and they'll turn in whomever they possibly can to make things better for themselves.

You'd have to be a rube to hold these incompetent egomaniacs on a pedestal and romanticize them. They're cowards. They're bullies in the digital ages. And they're not even particularly good at it. What they are NOT is a modern day Robin Hood, stoically fighting for the downtrodden and sacrificing themselves for the good of the common man.

Sorry reality had to slap you fan boys down so hard, but it was bound to happen eventually.