Oregon minor party creation

Member Demanded Area - Society For The Prevention Of Stupidity In The U.S. Political System

Moderators: Loki, exposno1, Parrot, Quasigriz, NickDupree, nmoore63, robroydude, Spinny Spamkiller

Oregon minor party creation

Postby Loki » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Oregon friends. (and others!)

Dan has given us a roadmap over the years of some basic principles. As we know he is a fellow Oregonian however he is completely disinterested in leading, forming or participating in any new party movement here in Oregon... as far as I can tell.

That is his right, but I feel like we have the opportunity to gather the 1/3 of the voters who are "unaffiliated" here in OR and present an option for them.

I know this isn't going to be done over night. I am in fact a terrible organizer. But something must be done and every journey starts with the first step.

In Oregon we can form a "minor party" by these rules.
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/248.008

I suggest we form the Common Sense party. Unless Dan has an objection to the use of the name.

Dan has always said that if we get together none of us would agree on anything.. well ya perhaps, but so what. Perhaps our vision of a corruption free government not clouded with drones may be more important than our liking each other.

So regardless of what response I get from the board I plan on this being a long term project. Join me if you will, I could use help when it comes to collecting signatures in order to actually form the party, much later of course.

But as for now I need to compile some major points of common sense to form a platform, from the show over the years and some of your own ideas.
~L
1984 was not intended to be an instructional manual...
Loki
Nomarch

Re: Oregon minor party creation

Postby kwils21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 am

The current third parties all seem to agree on big issues like the drug war, corruption, and, to some extent, foreign policy and climate change. The problem is that they each have their own agendas which end up being divisive. What we need is a party with a very simple platform with just these few planks, plus maybe a couple others (voting reform?).

I think associating a new party with Dan or Common Sense might be similarly divisive. Instead, how about calling it the "Protest Party," and bill it as the place to put your protest vote. This could attract not only the "unaffiliated" but also the "disengaged" and "disgusted" segments of the electorate. I know people who would like to make a protest vote against the two corrupt major parties, but don't see any way to make their message clear without associating it with a Green or Libertarian type of agenda. The Protest Party's purpose would be unambiguous and thus would probably be much more amenable to mainstream press coverage, as well.

If you were to go ahead and do this in Oregon, that would be all the inspiration I would need to get started here in Maryland.
kwils21

Postby caryy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 am

kwils21 wrote:I know people who would like to make a protest vote against the two corrupt major parties, but don't see any way to make their message clear without associating it with a Green or Libertarian type of agenda. The Protest Party's purpose would be unambiguous and thus would probably be much more amenable to mainstream press coverage, as well.

I think that's an interesting idea, but as soon as you decide on a platform -- even a really basic one that aims for inclusion/agreement among many non Democrat/Republican groups -- you begin to exclude. It's a really tricky issue to tiptoe around. I think it probably boils down to conflicts on two axes: priorities and "dealbreakers." For example, progressives and Ron Paul supporters agree on a lot in the abstract, but have very different priorities. Things that Ron Paul supporters care strongly about (audit the Fed, for example) are also-rans on many Progressive lists of demands. Similarly, you have "dealbreakers" -- a great example is taxation. The Green Party and the Libertarian Party also agree on many, many issues, but as soon as "regressive [flat] taxation" is bandied about, Green Party supporters are out.

It's a hell of a task to create a platform that 1) focuses on the similarities between these groups 2) doesn't prioritize one group's goals over another and 3) doesn't lose support out of either having prioritized the wrong things or tread too far into "no way can I support a party that does [x]" territory.
caryy

Postby kwils21 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:37 am

caryy wrote:I think that's an interesting idea, but as soon as you decide on a platform -- even a really basic one that aims for inclusion/agreement among many non Democrat/Republican groups -- you begin to exclude. It's a really tricky issue to tiptoe around. I think it probably boils down to conflicts on two axes: priorities and "dealbreakers." For example, progressives and Ron Paul supporters agree on a lot in the abstract, but have very different priorities. Things that Ron Paul supporters care strongly about (audit the Fed, for example) are also-rans on many Progressive lists of demands. Similarly, you have "dealbreakers" -- a great example is taxation. The Green Party and the Libertarian Party also agree on many, many issues, but as soon as "regressive [flat] taxation" is bandied about, Green Party supporters are out.

It's a hell of a task to create a platform that 1) focuses on the similarities between these groups 2) doesn't prioritize one group's goals over another and 3) doesn't lose support out of either having prioritized the wrong things or tread too far into "no way can I support a party that does [x]" territory.

What if the purpose of the party were just to tear down some of the institutional barriers to third parties as a whole? This should make it amenable to supporters of those parties, whose supporters are surely fed up with these barriers and recognize the need to address them before they can make real inroads into America's electoral landscape.

The Protest Party Primary could just involve "candidates" arguing for the best simple "demand" to make, one that would be likely to give the other Third Parties more power in the future while also being somewhat acceptable to a Major Party (so as to be feasible). One possible demand would be "Institute the Alternative Vote." Voting methods are currently a state issue, but it could be made a Federal power through an amendment.

No need to bring up the Fed or Taxation. Indeed, the whole problem is that We The People have no voice on such matters due to all the corruption. The Protest Party would be about overcoming the corruption (thereby making the Party itself obsolete). I don't foresee any Protest Party candidates actually being elected. The idea is to get enough support (maybe 10% in Ohio, where I now live) that one of the two parties accedes to the Protest Party's demand. The Protest Party would then throw their support behind that party for one election.

This is what Ralph Nader was hoping would happen with the Al Gore and the Democrats. He often says all they had to do was take on the Green Party's platform. The problem, of course, was that the Green Party's platform was complicated and divisive. The Protest Party is designed to be simple and agreeable. Also, unlike the Green Party, the Protest Party would make explicit their demand and their intention to back the acceding Major Party.

I know it seems convoluted. It probably won't work, but I haven't seen any better ideas. To paraphrase Larry Lessig, when the alternative is giving up on America, what choice do we have?
kwils21

Postby DBTrek » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 am

Loki wrote:In Oregon we can form a "minor party" by these rules.

I suggest we form the Common Sense party. Unless Dan has an objection to the use of the name.

Ohm you mean these guys?
http://commonsenseparty.org/

Maybe you cna get a discount on the domain name, looks like it's for sale.
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:04 pm

DBTrek wrote:

Ohm you mean these guys?

Looks like they smoked too much weed before finishing their mission statement, and then forgot all about the website by the next morning.
“If the human race is to survive, then for all but a very brief period of its history, the word ship will mean space ship.” –Arthur C. Clarke
Dr. Strangelove
Archon

Postby DBTrek » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
DBTrek wrote:

Ohm you mean these guys?

Looks like they smoked too much weed before finishing their mission statement, and then forgot all about the website by the next morning.

Yeah . . . which I think fits in well with the CS show vibe, so probably no harm done.
:snicker:

There's also an 'American Common Sense' party.
Maybe a few other versions as well.

Makes me wonder if there's a market for Political Party name squatting like there is for cyber-squatting. Hmmm . . . guess I better start creating political parties and registering them before someone else gets rich off my idea. I'll start with all combinations of the words National, American, Liberty, Freedom, Constitution, and Patriotic and branch out from there.

If anyone wants to be the American Constitution Party they'll have to go through me first.
:twisted:
Excuses sound best to the person that's making them up. -Tyrese Gibson
DBTrek
Archon

Postby jacob.r » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:32 am

May I nominate Oregon's favorite son and politician, to lead this new party through all the trials and tribulations that lye ahead?

Look not above, there is no answer there;
Pray not, for no one listen to your prayer;
Near is as near to god as any far,
But here are wine and beautiful young girls,
Be wise and hide your sorrows in their curls,
----from Omar Khayydm
jacob.r

Return to Discussion Area for People Who Think They Want A New Party