The Long Show - Common Sense 150
For episode number 150 listeners get 50% more show at no extra charge! Dan discusses Tea Parties, Patriot act power, Newt Gingrich, the short memory of Americans and a Presidential murder trial.
1. “The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder” by Vincent Bugliosi.
2. “Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders” by Vincent Bugliosi.
3. “Four Days in November: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy” by Vincent Bugliosi.
4. “Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery” by Vincent Bugliosi.
5. “Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away With Murder” by Vincent Bugliosi .
Owning the Story - Common Sense 151
There are a number of reasons the news industry in in a state of crisis right now. In this show Dan deals with an overlooked angle of the problem. Also: Former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura.
1. “Don’t start the Revolution without me” by Jesse Ventura.
Sick Politics - Common Sense 152
Has the idea of implementing real health care reform in the U.S. already been compromised by powerful special interests? Dan thinks so. Also, Nancy Pelosi, CIA oversight and partisan witch hunts.
1. “Democrats seek compromise on health care reform plan” by Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar for the Associated Press, May 14, 2009.
2. “Obama Praises groups’ Promises” by Darlene Superville for the Associated Press, May 17, 2009.
3. “Congress Plans Incentives for Healthy Habits” by Robert Pear for The New York Times, May 9. 2009.
4. “Proposal would require all to have health insurance” by the Associated Press, May 15, 2009.
5. “Fiscal Suicide Ahead” by David Brooks for The New York Times, May 15, 2009 .
6. “Republican Newt Gingrich calls for Democratic Speaker Nancy Pelosi to resign” by Huma Khan and Jonathan Karl for ABC News, May 20, 2009.
The Persian Rapprochement - Common Sense 153
President Obama makes friendly overtures towards Iran and even says they may have a right to their nuclear ambitions. Dan considers this progress. Also: Musing about corporate influence on the USA.
1. “Obama says Iran’s energy concerns legitimate” by Nancy Zuckerbrod for the Associated Press, June 2, 2009.
2. “Open the FDA Files” by Editorial Staff of the Eugene Register-Guard, June 4, 2009.
3. “Corporations behind efforts to label Sotomayor ‘racist'” span style=”color: #808080;”>by Larisa Alexandrovna and Muriel Kane for The Raw Story, June 5, 2009.
A Conflict of Interest - Common Sense 154
Dan rails against legislators who have close ties to the industries they are supposed to be regulating and reforming. He also addresses one of the under-appreciated environmental problems he believes we can fix.
1. “Kabul’s K Street Project” by Bruce Falconer, for Mother Jones magazine, June 9, 2009.
2. “Key health care senators have industry ties” by Larry Margasak and Sharon Theimer, June 12, 2009.
3. “Reporter: NSA spied on own wives and girlfriends” by David Edwards and Muriel Kane for The Raw Story, June 19, 2009.
4. “Could we be the generation that runs out of fish?” by Johann Hari, for the Independent, June 5, 2009.
5. “The Axemaker’s Gift” by James Burke and Robert Ornstein .
The Big Rushed Show - EP 155
A virus knocks KBANDEN off the digital “air” while causing Dan to be redundant and “Ben” to lose data. So in this hastily put-together show, Dan talks about stuff and “Ben” tries to compile it into a coherent show.
1. “Vince Lombardi Politics” by David Brooks for The New York Times, June 30, 2009.
2. “Cap and Confuse” by Paul Greenberg for the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, July 2, 2009.
3. “Washington Post Publisher Acknowledges Mistakes on ‘Salons” by uncredited for The Washington Post, July 5, 2009.
4. “The Washington Post’s ‘Salon’ Mess May be Brazen, but it’s not Shocking”by Jonah Goldberg for The Los Angeles Times, July 7, 2009.
The Upside of the Downside - Common Sense 156
Description: Could there be a silver lining to the U.S. Government being nearly bankrupt? Dan thinks so. He also thinks the showdown between states allowing medical marijuana and the Feds prohibiting it will be entertaining.
1. “Senate sides with Obama, removes F-22 money” by Jim Abrams for The Associated Press, Wednesday July 22, 2009.
Read It and Weep - Common Sense 157
Controversy erupts after a Congressman suggests that representatives can’t read the bills they vote on. Dan has opinions on this of course. Also: Do you have a right to be fat? Lifestyle versus health care.
1. “Congressman proposes rate hike on unsafe sex” by the Raw Story, July 20, 2009.
2. “Transparency: Read the bill? See the earmarks!” by Jim Harper for the Cato Institute, July 30, 2009.
Geopolitical Pneumonia - Common Sense 158
Dan “gets granular” on Afghanistan, terrorism, root causes and the geopolitical illness that the entire Middle East has become that is infecting U.S. Politics and foreign policy.
1. “Obama criticizes a Cold War approach to defense” by Liz Sidoti for the Associated Press, August 18, 2009.
Changing Our Destiny - Common Sense 159
Would your approach to life change if you knew that you couldn’t affect anything your government did? Dan muses on whether those who stop following politics are happier. Also: showing photos of U.S. Casualties.
1. “Rangel-ing: Charlie Pays ‘Angels’ in Ethics Probe” by Marcia Kramer for CBS 2 HD TV, September 3, 2009.
2. “An Inconvenient Patriot” by David Rose for Vanity Fair Magazine, September, 2005.
3. Full transcript of FBI whistle-blower Sibel Edmonds deposition on corruption/conspiracy
4. “Key Democrat in Health Care Talks Receives Large Health Industry Contributions in 2009” by Paul Blumenthal, for the Sunlight Foundation, September, 2, 2009.
5. “A Threat to Fail Elections” by New York Times editorial, September 8, 2009 .
6. “Elections for Sale” by Doug Kendall for the Los Angeles Times, September 8, 2009.
7. “The Chance for a Free Speech Do-Over” by Theodore B. Olson for The Wall Street Journal, September 7, 2009.
8. “Does this picture suggest glorious heroism or useless sacrifice?” by Roy Greenslade for the Guardian newspaper (UK), September 8, 2009.
Frozen Shoulder Federalism - Common Sense 160
Is the United States breaking up? Dan reads a Pat Buchanan commentary that poses that question, so Dan talks about it. Also: Dan extols the virtues of citizen journalism in the wake of the “Acorn” expose.
1. “Is America coming apart?” by Patrick J. Buchanan for Human Events magazine, September 11, 2009.
2. “The Next 100 Years” by George Friedman.
3. “Could ACORN defunding bill strike military-industrial complex?” by The Raw Story website, September 23, 2009.
4. “Conservatives Draw Blood From Acorn” by Scott Shane Published: September 15, 2009.
5. “ACORN Controversy – Inside the Glorious Nation of ACORN” by Debra Saunders for The San Francisco Chronicle, September 20, 2009 .
Shhh! - Common Sense 161
The Patriot Act is being used against people who aren’t terrorists. Dan is not surprised. Also: How our country’s addiction to secrecy is hurting our Republic.
1. “Feingold: ‘Sneak-and-peek’ searches being used for regular crimes” by the Raw Story.
2. “Give public a say on Afghanistan” by Bob Franken for Politico.com, October 8, 2009.
FOX Hunting - Common Sense 162
The Obama Administration seems to have conservative FOX News in its sights. Dan thinks it’s a mistake that could backfire on the White House.. Also: The Terror-Industrial complex.
1. “Fox Wars” by Charles Krauthammer for The Washington Post, October 23, 2009.
2. “White House’s Fox News Boycott Attempt Prompts Network Revolt” by The Huffington Post, October 23, 2009.
3. “Media Matters coordinates campaign against ‘lethal’ Fox”
4. “Powell warned of ‘terror-industrial complex’ in 2007 interview” by David Edwards and Muriel Kane, October 16th.
Blocking the Playmakers - Common Sense 163
Dan is fascinated with the idea of genius. In this show he wonders why we don’t seem to have as many geniuses in politics and statecraft as we should have. Also: What is Common Sense about?
The People's Snitch - Common Sense 164
Dan wants an anti-corruption party to unify Americans who want a cleaner government. Also: jobs, Nazis, Bolsheviks, Socialists, lobbyists, Right-wing talk show hosts and Ben.
1. “In House, Many Spoke With One Voice: Lobbyists” by Robert Pear for The New York Times, November 15, 2009.
2. “Top Bailout Recipients Spent $71 Million On Lobbying In Year Since Bailout” by Sam Stein for The Huffington Post, November 5 ,2009.
3. “A Recovery for Some” by Bob Herbert for The New York Times, November 13, 2009.
4. “Recession intensifies GenX discontent at work” by Martha Irvine for the Associated Press, November 15, 2009.
The Relative Decline - Common Sense 165
Is the USA a nation in decline? Dan looks at the issue while discussing why things don’t change more when new presidents are elected. Also: Blasphemy and the grinding between civilizations
1. “Advice From Grandma” by Thomas L. Friedman for The New York Times, November 22, 2009.
2. “Twilight of Pax Americana” by Christopher Layne and Benjamin Schwarz for The Los Angeles Times, September 29, 2009.
3. “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” by Edward Gibbon
4. “AP Exclusive: Muslim countries seek blasphemy ban” by Frank Jordans for The Associated Press, November 19, 2009.
5. “The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order” by Samuel P. Huntington.
Droning on about Pakistan - Common Sense 166
Should the U.S. expand unmanned military drone attacks into Pakistan’s cities as part of the War on Terror? Dan discusses the ramifications of that while also discussing marijuana and climate change.
1. “In Retrospect” by Robert S. McNamara.
2. “U.S. Considering drone attacks on Pakistani city of 850,000: repor” by The Raw Story, December 14, 2009.
3. “U.S. Mulls Predator strikes in Pakistani cities: report” by Agence France-Presse (AFP), December 14, 2009.
4. “Widening the Pakistan Drone War: On To-Do List, Or Nixed?” by Nathan Hodge for Wired magazine, December 14, 2009.
5. “Our friend! Our enemy!” by The Nation (Pakistan), December 16, 2009.
6. “Obama resisting drone strikes in Quetta” by the Daily Times (Pakistan), December 15, 2009.
7. “Pak warns of fallout as U.S. Seeks to extend drone strike: Report” by The Economic Times (India), December 14, 2009.
8. “Up to 56,000 more contractors likely for Afghanistan, congressional agency says” by Walter Pincus for The Washington Post, December 16, 200.
9. “The Great War for Civilisation” by Robert Fisk
10. “The climate-change travesty” by George Will for The Washington Post, December 6, 2009 .
The Big Clip Show - Common Sense 167
This extra-long, year-ending edition of the show contains clips from past episodes on a variety of topics. From Iran to Obama, torture to energy this show has a little of a lot trial.
1. Clip from Common Sense show #127 “Great Expectations”
2. Clip from Common Sense show #137 “A Vote for None”
3. Clip from Common Sense show #152 “Sick Politics”
4. Clip from Common Sense show #126 “The Way You Play The Game”
5. Clip from Common Sense show #77 “Mushrooms and Onions”
6. Clip from Common Sense show #39 “Iranicide”
7. Clip from Common Sense show #106 “M.P.F.E.”
On the Road to Nigeria - Common Sense 168
Is the USA becoming a “Banana Republic”? If the American political system is too beholden to special interests what can The People do about it? Dan gets mad that he’s not doing more to help trial.
1. “Obama received $20 million from healthcare industry in 2008 campaign” by Brad Jacobson for The Raw Story, January 12, 2010.
Money Talks - Common Sense 169
A Supreme Court decision involving campaign finance has Dan thinking about ways to level the Free Speech playing field. He also interviews Jackie Salit of http://www.independenttvoting.org and the Neo-Independent Magazine.
1. “U.S. Supreme Court case “United v. Federal Election Commission” Justice Stevens’ Dissenting Opinion.
2. “Court Ruling Invites a Boom in Political Ads” by Brian Stelter for The New York Times, January 25, 2010.
3. “The Corporate States of America” by E.J. Dionne for The Washington Post, January 24, 2010.
4. “41 industry leaders call on Congress to halt corporate ‘bribery’ ” by The Raw Story, January 26, 2010.
5. “Lobbyist gift limit survives” by the Eugene Register-Guard Editorial Staff, January 5, 2010.
To Dum Two Vowt - Common Sense 170
Would the U.S. be in better shape if American voters were more politically savvy? Dan looks at a few ideas designed to raise the I.Q. of the electorate. Also: Anonymous saviors on white horses.
1. “What Fuels the Grass-Roots Rage” by E. J. Dionne for the Washington Post, February 11, 2010.
2. “Never Heard That Before” by Thomas Friedman for the New York Times, January 30, 2010.
3. “Budget fixes are simple-and unthinkable” by Fareed Zakaria for CNN.com, February 5, 2010.
4. “The Geezers’ Crusade” by David Brooks for The New York Times, February 2, 2010.
5. “America Is Not Yet Lost” by Paul Krugman for The New York Times, February 7, 2010.
6. “Debt, deficits and jobs” by The (Eugene) Register-Guard Editorial Staff, February 3, 2010.
7. “The Perot Option” by David Brooks for The New York Times, January 29, 2010.
8. “Poll: 75% ‘angry’ at government” by Politico.com, February 8, 2010.
The Leadership Triangle - Common Sense 171
Dan details what he’s looking for in a political candidate. He also bemoans the loss of intellectual conservatism, pleads for us to get our fiscal house in order and asks what size military we need to defend ourselves.
1. “Paul Ryan’s lonely challenge: controlling runaway deficits” by Robert Samuelson for The Washington Post, February 12, 2010.
2. “Liquidating the Empire” by Pat Buchanan for Human Events magazine, February 23, 2010.
3. “Gates: NATO, in crisis, must change its ways” by Robert Burns for the Associated Press.
The Great Texas History Flap - Common Sense 172
A controversy over history textbooks in Texas has Dan wondering who should be in charge of deciding what kids should learn about the past. Also: The need for government secrecy reform trial.
1. “Texas Textbook MASSACRE: ‘Ultraconservatives’ Approve Radical Changes to State Education Curriculum” by The Raw Story, March 13, 2010.
2. “Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change” by James McKinley Jr. for The New York Times, March 12, 2010.
3. “State Education board keeps itself in the news” by Robert Zaretsky for The Houston Chronicle, March 13, 2010.
4. “Coffee Party brews up rival for Tea Party” by Madeleine Morris for BBC News, March 13, 2010.
5. “Why I am no longer a Democrat” by David Rothkopf (via Foreign Policy online), March 1 , 2010 .
6. “Promises, Promises: Is govt. more open with Obama?” by Sharon Theimer for the Associated Press, March 16, 2010.
7. “Protecting agencies from oversight, Obama threatens to veto intelligence funding” by The Raw Story, March 16, 2010.
Firefighting with Gasoline - Common Sense 173
We almost called this episode “The Big Conspiracy Show”. Dan discusses the recent arrests of members of an anti-government group charged with “seditious conspiracy”. Also: Jesse Ventura.
1. “Militia charges focus on conduct not faith U.S. says” by The Associated Press, March 31, 2010.
2. “American Conspiracies” by Jesse Ventura.
A Cold Slap in the Face - Common Sense 174
A group that leaks secret information releases video of a U.S. helicopter strike that kills a news crew. Dan talks about several angles of that story. Also: Presidential assassination powers and other things.